Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

going from mat to a reformer
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 25, 2007 04:21 PM

So I have taken a good amount of mat pilates at my dance studio, but at the rec center that I go to now, they only do pilates on a reformer. I just enrolled for the classes and I do get to take an introductory class, but I want to know what I should except going from a mat to a reformer. Am I basically going to have to learn everything all over? The reformer scares me, haha!

4 Replies to going from mat to a reformer

re: going from mat to a reformer
By RythymChild
On Sun Jan 28, 2007 05:27 PM
dont be scared! I recently started reformer classes and I am in love with it! A lot of the exercises are the same but you can target your arms or legs more. I've done mat, and arc barrel, as well but the reformer is just amazing! If you get the chance you should try the cadillac and chair too.
By RythymChild
On Sun Jan 28, 2007 05:30 PM
dont be scared! I recently started reformer classes and I am in love with it! A lot of the exercises are the same but you can target your arms or legs more. I've done mat, and arc barrel, as well but the reformer is just amazing! If you get the chance you should try the cadillac and chair too.
By danceland2
On Wed Jan 31, 2007 08:57 PM
Don't be scared. I like the reformer so much better. I'm actually scared of mat class. I guess it's what you are used to. Some of the exercises are the same but sometimes a little different. To be honest, some exercises are actually easier on the reformer than on the mat because the reformer gives you some help. When you do mat, it's all you! But, don't be fooled there are some very hard exercises on the reformer. I think it's great to do both!! I need to do mat more!
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:07 PM
It's a little bit different - and a lot harder - but the concepts are basically the same. The reformer works your upper body a lot more than the mat work does, so it's more of a total body workout. The reformer is really cool. I wish I had access to one right now.

ReplySendWatch