Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

tahitian songs for download
By No_Longer_on_DDNPremium member
On Mon Jan 29, 2007 09:40 PM

aloha everyone!

One of my music myspace friends has some Tahitian songs for download. Here's the link.

profile.myspace.com . . .

They have Mihi Au Ia Oe, Turama, To'u nuna'a and Ua Rere Te Manu (which is actually Tapa'o No Te Here by Tapuari'i)

Just thought I'd share that with you. = )

6 Replies to tahitian songs for download

re: tahitian songs for download
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 30, 2007 09:09 AM
Is it free? My husband has a myspace account and I'll see if he can download them for me since I've been practicing on my own after leaving Hawaii.
On Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:43 PM
Edited by kaleonahenahe (153646) on 2007-01-30 12:44:54
yeah...it's free. = ) but i'm not sure if you have to be added as their friend to do so.
By wannahula
On Fri Mar 09, 2007 02:47 AM
Thanks for sharing so much, kaleonahenahe! I loved your youtube ahuroa and aparima vids from awhile back too. What's the difference between ahuroa and aparima?
On Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:56 PM
I was taught that the the difference is that ONLY women are allowed to dance ahuroa and that men & women are allowed to participate in aparima. I think the costuming is different as well. I was also told that in ahuroa, it's more traditional to wear a tahitian style mu'u or a long dress, or a one piece dress, no mid-area showing.

Like for example, I saw a group dance to Te Tiaoro as an aparima. They wore red morei skirts, a red bra top, and a ti leaf hip hei. Then one time I saw a group dance to the exact same song as an ahuroa and they wore a calf length, fitted, tube style dress.

I'm not sure on all of the differences, but those are the two I've heard of. = )
Difference between Ahuroa and Aparima (karma: 1)
By wannahula
On Sat Mar 10, 2007 03:58 PM
Edited by wannahula (174966) on 2007-03-10 15:59:39
Thanks! Your explanation totally makes sense. I heard that aparimas are fast and ahuroas are slow. So when I saw the really awesome vid with slow music and the title aparima, I knew there was another way of differentiating the two. I like your explanation that the same song can be done as an aparima or ahuroa.

It seems to be pretty common to have a lot of different ways to think about the same thing in hula and Tahitian. And it also seems that there are a lot of differences in terminology. I wonder if it's because like language, hula and Tahitian have evolved so much but the basis of it has stayed the same. My Hawaiian teacher explains it with the `olelo no`eau, "A'ohe pau ka 'ike i ka halau ho'okahi. (Not all knowledge is taught is one school.)"

Kaleonahenahe, I love your explanation of the Tahitian dance terms. . .would it be ok to link it to my hula info site?
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 10, 2007 06:13 PM
"A'ohe pau ka 'ike i ka halau ho'okahi. (Not all knowledge is taught is one school.)"

When I got permission from my kumu to teach hula in the Bronx, New York after about 13 years of learning, I had this scrolling across my computer screen's screeensaver so I wouldn't get arrogant or egotistical in insisting that the way I was taught was the only way.

ReplySendWatch