Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

To Easy?
By JustDance92
On Fri Feb 02, 2007 08:19 PM

Easy Peasy- Our tap small group this year is to 5 guys named moe. We are 14 and in a competitive catagory, Im starting to think it is too easy. What steps or "ticks" do you think should be in a dance with these criteria?

4 Replies to To Easy?

re: To Easy?
By glitterfairyPremium member
On Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:17 PM
'competitive category' means nothing. Do you compete at the really big competitions? How do you place? What is your group genuinely capable of executing? (tricks are fancy, nothing more. The level of choreography is where it's at)
By dancegirl11a
On Sat Feb 10, 2007 06:07 PM
Sorry hon, you need to provide us with more info like what song what level of tap are they at and how fast can they tap. if you can tell me i will be happy to help
Easy compared to WHAT?!
By DoubleBass
On Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:17 PM
Hi kids. Let me help here.

1. There is NO reason that you should feel like you HAVE to have "tricks" in a tap dance. Personally, when I judge, the LESS tricks the better. Too much time is wasted putting tricks in a dance that usually derails the flow of 'ography.

Think of it this way... I'm on stage, you're the judge. If I was singing "rockin' robin" and all of a sudden I bust out into the chorus of "sexyback" and then went back into "rockin' robin", you would think I am completely whacked out and was just throwing that in there because I thought that's what you wanted to hear. You also would more than likely not be able to score me very well because my performance didn't make sense. THAT'S what throwing "tricks" into a tap dance is like, when you just put them there cuz you THINK the judges want to see it, as opposed to making them part of the rhythm, style and feel of the dance.

2. You say that your dance is too easy. Well, too easy compared to WHAT? What's the basis for your "too easy" assessment? I surely hope you're not saying that just because you saw someone else doing "tricks" and they're scoring better. WRONG reason to think your dance is too easy. When I competed, I almost NEVER did tricks and I seemed to come out pretty well.

3. Unless you're receiving comments on your judges tapes that elude to the 'ography being too easy, you probably have nothing to worry about. Now, don't get me wrong, it's good to want to challenge yourself... but there's a difference between wanting to get better as a dancer and wanting to learn "tricks" just to try and sway some random judges opinion.

Hopefully this makes sense and helps you out a lil' bit.

- Mike :)

PS... Dancegirl11a - "how fast they can tap" has NOTHING to do with their level/ability. Anyone can tap fast. Levels in tap are determined by control, clarity and an ability to pick up choreography quickly, as well as an ability to improv combined with good ear-training and musicality. Just so's ya know! :)
By dnzrdude
On Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:35 AM
OK, I hate it when I see tricks in a tap dance. You don't even need them. And the difficulty level isn't that important either, as long as whatever your doing is executed cleanly. Two years in a row, I was in a small group tap dance and basically all we did the entire time was waltz clogs witha couple variants thrown in here and there. But we did it clean and clear and we hammed up the characters A LOT, and we got platinums and high score awards at every competition we went to.

ReplySendWatch