Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 3 of 51 2 3 4 5
re: What to know about being vegetarian
By ddncr4life Comments: 58, member since Thu May 15, 2008
On Sat Jul 05, 2008 06:39 AM
Great information you all have added to this topic! Everyone has their own opinion of vegans and vegetarians, it just depends on who you ask usually. I am vegan (10 years) and was vegetarian for 7 before that. It is a personal choice to me, and there are two things I make sure to tell people that ask me about it. 1. It is a PERSONAL choice, I don't judge you for what you eat or wear, so you shouldnt judge me. 2. It doesnt have to be all or nothing, the most important part is being healthy. IF you want to be veggie and cant give up that one steak, have it once a month and you have still cut down on your meat intake. TO me it is just like dieting, you have to find what works for you that you can live with, or it wont work.
By gym_munky13 Comments: 9, member since Sun Jan 15, 2006
On Mon Jul 28, 2008 04:33 PM
Hey!
About a month ago I read the book Skinny Bitch. Changed my life! I went from being a serious meat eater to strict vegetarian in about 10 mins. I couldn't believe the truth about our food. It's disgusting! Haven't touched meat or gelatin now for a month and I've never been happier or healthier!
By sugerplumfairy Comments: 1164, member since Fri Nov 09, 2007
On Sat Aug 16, 2008 08:50 AM
Thank you so much. Just a few weeks ago I decided to try taking meat from my diet.
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:10 PM
Thank you for posting this. I was an avid raw/red meat eater. This posting has changed my views tremendously. And, I have already started to make small lifestyle improvements. I will order bean burritos and since they come with onions and cheese, I'm still getting my vegetables and dairy. :)

I cannot turn down dairy though. That is my main weakness. I eat cheese to get my calcium, however, I am going to switch back to eating Veggie Cheese. I tried that once before and it does take an acquired taste, but it's not too bad once you get used to it. We have this store here called, "Nutrition Works" and they have tons of organic foods in their freezer section. It might be pricey, but I think my body is worth it.

Oh yes, and Aldi's has a wonderful new "Fit and Active" line and their chocolate soy milk is sooooo good! I love it. Can't even taste a difference. And they have this wonderful caffeine-free, sodium-free, calorie-free, sugar-free, Raspberry drink mix that I am using in place of my Coca-Colas during my weaning from caffeine to go completely and totally without Coca-Cola or any other caffeinated beverage by October 2008.

*HUGS* to you all.

Thank you so much for posting this! God Bless You all!
Update!
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Wed Aug 27, 2008 05:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Since my last post, I went to the Nutrition Works store and bought some Chik-N-Nuggets made by Quorn (sp?) with the mycoprotein and they were so delicious!!!! I could not even tell a difference. I added some of my Tofutti American Cheese on top that I had also bought and mmmmm good. I had them both today (as I just went yesterday to Nutrition Works with my mother). I also bought the Tofutti Sour Surpreme to try as well. It's sour cream, but tofu style.

The Tofutti cheese needs to be an acquired taste, but if you melt it on something, oh it does taste delicious!

Thank you so much for posting this! *HUGS* to you all. I just had to post my wonderful reviews.

Love always,

begstretcher2008 :)
By Dance_Forcemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 116, member since Fri Nov 30, 2007
On Sun Oct 12, 2008 04:00 PM
So i'm tyring to be a vegetarian but i had to make a couple exception so my dad would let me do it.

1. I have to start drinking milk. I hate milk and i always have, but my dad said since i'm giving up meat i have to start drinking it.

2. i have to eat fish. for now my dad said i can't give it up all at once. and to get some protien still i can't give up fish just yet.

3. I have to eat red meat once a month. just to get that needed intake.

But this is just for now and i went to walmart and bought some veggie dogs, and vaggie chicken patties, and veggie hamburger patties and they where pretty good.

but my family still doesnt support me. like my brother thinks its ridiculous and it really sucks that they don't support me :(
By lozadancer Comments: 46, member since Sat Oct 04, 2008
On Fri Oct 31, 2008 05:11 PM
panic_ wrote:

[Okay, but my parents think I’ll die if I don’t eat meat! What do I do?

THAT sum's my situation up in a nutshell. I have never liked meat, I don't like the taste or anything about it. But my family are hard-core carnivores and scoffed at the idea that I was a vego. But I have done heaps of research, using the sources you have provided and finally gotten them to see that its not the end of the world. So now I have finally been allowed to be a non-strict vegetarian (mum forces me to eat chicken and I like fish) because she is still worried about me getting the right sort of nutrients and the like. I am only 14 but before I ate LOTS of bad food and it was starting to make me sick, but after cutting out red meat I have suddenly been making unconcious healthier choices. Thanks, this post has hepled me alot!!
By lozadancer Comments: 46, member since Sat Oct 04, 2008
On Fri Oct 31, 2008 05:15 PM
Dont worry, my siblings are the exact same way, like if we go out to eat or get take-out they whine and moan about having to get something with vegetables and tease me the whole way through by shoving meat in my face and my brother even tried once to slip a peice of steak into my salad while I was talking. But I've got a thick skin and can ignore it.
By lux Comments: 1178, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Tue Nov 04, 2008 04:46 AM
Not trying to add fuel to the fire or anything, but I have to say, I'm glad to see that no self-declared "vegetarians" are jumping on here and defending their chicken consumption...

*warning- rant ahead. if you're a poultry-loving "vego", I suggest you stop reading, before I hurt your feelings *

I work as a waitress, and once delivered a chicken burger to a lady who took one look at the slice of bacon nestled between her salad stack and chicken fillet, and promptly exclaimed "I can't eat that!! I'm vegetarian!!" Seeing as the customer is always right, I had the chef make her a new "meat" (?!?!)-free CHICKEN burger. But seriously, lady?!?! Chicken? Is an animal. It breathed, it walked, it LIVED, and it was killed so it could be served on your plate, for your dining pleasure. You're NOT a vegetarian. (And for the record, your french fries were most likely made from animal stock. But even *I'm* not going to be that hyper-crticial... today... :P)

(For the record, I'm not vegetarian either. But I'm not claiming to be one, either.)
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Tue Nov 04, 2008 08:25 AM
^Hahaha, that reminds me of an incident a couple of weeks ago...

My boyfriend and I were on holiday in a little sea-side town that had a fantastic pie shop, which sold a couple of really nice vegetarian pies. They've since changed owners, and we weren't sure which pies were vegetarian. When we asked which ones have meat in them, the lady said "they all have meat in them, except the ones with chicken". :P
By followthesmile Comments: 69, member since Sat Sep 06, 2008
On Fri Nov 07, 2008 05:00 PM
I really support people going vegan. It's a lot healthier plus it helps the environment. About 80% of our farm lands are used to grow food for our livestock. Why couldn't we just eat what we grow for what we eat? It would save tons of energy. A book I really recommend reading is Quantum Wellness. I
By BalletGirl404 Comments: 243, member since Tue Sep 25, 2007
On Tue Dec 09, 2008 07:39 AM
Thank you very much for that good advice, I have been growing up just eating 3 meats Ham, Chicken and Turkey. Recently I have cut turkey from my diet and now I am slowly working on cutting ham from my diet too and after that I'm going to try to become veggie!!! These were some GREAT tips!!!
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8306, member since Mon Apr 01, 2002
On Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:02 PM
Snuffy; By "amounts of people" I presume you mean me and the other poster, so I'll reply to this once again, although I feel I made my point before your reply.

I don't call myself a vegetarian, if someone asks, I say "I don't eat meat" and if they ask again if I'm a vegetarian I will specify that I'm not really because I eat fish. If I ask for a vegetarian meal at a restaurant, I find it rather rude if they ask me if I eat fish, that's not what I asked for. However, I took issue with the mere lack of including pesci-vegetarians as part of the ladder, simply because I personally keep a strict policy on my diet, and I share most vegetarian values. You yourself included pesci-vegetarian as a possible term for us fish-and-vegetarian-food-eaters.

It's also very hard to explain to other people who DO see me as a vegetarian and refer to me as one when we're making food together. To other, non-vegetarians, and also quite a few "proper" vegetarians, I am one too. Having to explain and defend my place to both sides gets increasingly difficult every day, and to be honest, every time I hear a vegetarian specify that I'm not one of them and wave their little banners around, I feel like tossing a burger at them.

Another issue that I don't really see any reason of getting into is that there are different views of different life-forms (brain-activity, ability to feel pain etc. Some people don't see fish as being on the same level as mammals or birds) Personally that's not a big issue or reason for me though.

I also don't see how your vegan-analogy works. I mean, either you see fish as a meat or you don't. Many vegans see other vegans as "not vegan enough to be vegan" for example. Veganism itself is divided into life-style-veganism and dietary veganism, some care alot, some not as much. I've heard of plenty of vegans who think of other vegans as "not-vegan".

And when proper veg*'s tell stories about how they used to trick themselves, and how they were uneducated when they ate like you, and hold up banners with "fish is not a vegetable!!" (JN is not the only one, please, let's keep that horse buried, I really did mean what I said in my last post, but I felt your reply brought up the issue yet again) you can't say that they don't, on some level, look down upon us, just like super-vegans look down upon not-as-vegans. I'm just fed up with the whole terminology all together. I mean, eggs aren't vegetables either, yet no one seems to care.
By KristinaLynn Comments: 21, member since Mon Dec 29, 2008
On Mon Dec 29, 2008 06:29 PM
Thanks for posting this! Great advice and good to know.

Kristina Lynn
By Bella_rina1993 Comments: 23, member since Sun Nov 19, 2006
On Sat Jan 03, 2009 02:27 AM
When I was 7 I stopped eating meat because I thought it was horrible to eat dead animals. When I was 12 however, my Mum was a bit concerned with me because I was a little underweight and she didn't think I was getting enough protein or iron. I've been eating poultry and fish since I was 12, and I think I'm better off for it. Some people are less suited to vegetarianism than others. It isn't nearly as cruel as it used to be either back in the day - we always buy free range organic eggs, organic milk, and free range corn fed chickens. The animals have been free to roam and have been fed decently, so I totally support that. Anyway, humans are omnivores after all - we were made to eat other animals and it is all just part of the food chain, even though I am opposed to eating mammals.
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:13 PM
Bella_rina1993 wrote:

When I was 7 I stopped eating meat because I thought it was horrible to eat dead animals. When I was 12 however, my Mum was a bit concerned with me because I was a little underweight and she didn't think I was getting enough protein or iron. I've been eating poultry and fish since I was 12, and I think I'm better off for it. Some people are less suited to vegetarianism than others. It isn't nearly as cruel as it used to be either back in the day - we always buy free range organic eggs, organic milk, and free range corn fed chickens. The animals have been free to roam and have been fed decently, so I totally support that. Anyway, humans are omnivores after all - we were made to eat other animals and it is all just part of the food chain, even though I am opposed to eating mammals.
If you believe that meat animals IN GENERAL aren't treated nearly as cruelly as they used to be, you're VERY, VERY uninformed about the meat industry. Yes, I know you said you're buying free range products, but that isn't even CLOSE to representative of the meat industry as a whole. Go visit a factory farm, and follow that by visiting a slaughterhouse, and then come back and discuss how kind and humane it was, okay?
By KayEllePremium member Comments: 4505, member since Sat Jul 16, 2005
On Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:35 PM
^ And on that note, be careful about where you're getting your "organic" and "free-range" meat and eggs from. Look up the labeling requirements for your country/state/province/whatever, because I know that here at least, "free-range" really doesn't mean much. liberationbc.org . . .
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sat May 16, 2009 11:01 PM
Thanks for this post! I'm seriously considering becoming a vegetarian and this makes me feel better about it :)

I'm planning on spending the summer upping my veggie intake while lowering my meat intake until I get to the point I can take meat out without worrying that I'll solely survive on carbs, you know? I don't want to be one of those people that falls off the veggie wagon every other day, I want to make this a lifestyle. If course, seeing as I feel guilty every time I eat meat, it shouldn't be hard.

Strangely enough, I have a few chik'n nuggets up in the oven for a late night snack :)
re: What to know about being vegetarian (karma: 1)
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Sun May 17, 2009 01:31 AM
Dear everyone: unless I specifically mention your name in one of my comments, I am not directing anything that I say at anyone in particular, nor referring to anyone in particular. If I do not specifically refer to another DDNer, then please assume that I am just writing my thoughts as based on what I've experienced during my life. Therefore, by "people", I mean people.

Allycat: now I am referring to you. Please rest assured that I am not sitting here at my computer judging you and what you eat and how you choose to describe your culinary or ethical views. If you have a problem with the terminology which people use and debate about, then that's absolutely fine. However, when you want to debate my points of view, I'd prefer it if you read carefully over my ramblings so that you don't misrepresent what I've said. Please feel free to go back over my comments and read them again, if you like. I got involved in this post because I think it's an interesting issue, and I do find the terminology interesting. I'm always happy to have a chat about different points of view, and I'll always do my best to listen and respect what you're saying. :)

I'm not sure how you've confused my example which uses the term "vegan" with the issue of whether or not a fish is meat. Obviously fish is meat, and obviously a vegan doesn't eat fish. What I was saying is that if one is a vegetarian and they eat eggs, then it would be misleading for them to claim to be vegan.

Now, back to directing this at anyone and everyone:

Anyway, one last time I'll just reiterate my point - hopefully clearly and concisely - as far as I'm aware vegetarian means "does not eat meat". It doesn't refer to products produced by animals such as eggs or milk, nor does it say anything either way about other food groups which aren't vegetables (such as mushrooms, water, minerals, and bizarre concoctions that you might find in the candy isle of the supermarket). Vegetarian doesn't mean that you only eat vegetables; it just means that you don't consume animals.

In short: I call a spade a spade. If you do one thing and call it something else, I guess I'd say you're calling a spade a shovel.

Over&out! :)
By sureau Comments: 22, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:16 PM
I'm vegetarian (and almost vegan) but I'm a bit concerned that I am not getting enough protein. I am a male and already have a thin build. I want to make sure I'm building muscle (I'm in ballet) and am also getting enough calories.

Any advice?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:25 PM
^Go to any natural foods co-op. They have vegan protein shakes.
By taylorhgmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 67, member since Thu Jul 02, 2009
On Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:20 PM
Thanks a TON!

I wanted to try out being a vegetarian (basically ended up being lacto-vegetarian) but my mom made me stop because I definitely wasn't getting enough protein. I couldn't get it really from any where else, because beans make me sick, and the other foods that were listed I just didn't like the taste of.
I, personally, am fine with eating meat. Me and my mom's thing about meat is no cute animals (duck, pork, lamb (I tried it last week. Threw up. Not nice)). So we basically only eat fish and chicken. I've almost sworn of red meat entirely :)
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 175, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:22 AM
YES! I've been veggie for 4 years and people always think I'll die if I don't eat meat. Actually, I've been much healthier (maybe a coincidence, but I don't get sick nearly as often), and when people say "how can you live without bacon?!" It annoys me soooo much. Just cause bacon tastes good doesn't mean its okay to kill something for it. I think meat-eating is actually quite greedy and selfish, and requires little to no self-control.
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1455, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:40 PM
Oh, cool, I hadn't noticed this thread before! I've been a vegetarian for almost four weeks now. I did eat bacon once, because I didn't notice that there was bacon in my baked beans until I'd already eaten it.

The main reason I decided to be a vegetarian is because I don't like meat. It's hard to cook, most kinds of meat don't even taste good to me, and it's kind of gross to be eating dead animals anyway.
By TipTap Comments: 86, member since Thu Sep 24, 2009
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 03:37 AM
I'd just like to say vegetarianism isn't always the easiest way to become thin. After I went vego (purely out of concern for animals lol), I gained about 10 kilograms! You have to eat more at every meal, as meat is more filling.
Page:
Page 3 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch