Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 4 of 51 2 3 4 5
re: What to know about being vegetarian
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:59 PM
I'm doing a great job so far! I've started a 4 days a week yoga schedule, and I come home wanting to eat healthy. Tonight, I had some light chocolate soy milk, a Morningstar Farms griller prime, and some homemade mac and cheese. Over the summer, I've found several kinds of nuts that I like. I still eat dairy products, but I find it hard to drink milk. My goal is to be 100% a lacto-ovo vegetarian by the new year.

I think the strangest thing is that I don't really even want meat anymore. Strangely enough, the one thing I find myself unable to give up thus far is pepperoni pizza.
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Thu Oct 15, 2009 06:08 AM
Oh Kekoa, I finally feel like I've found a vegetarian who must understand me! The only meaty things I still feel crave are the foods that are probably made of whatever the butcher scraped off the floor, with added spices. Pepperoni, and better yet, "twiggy sticks" which are like mini sticks of pepperoni. Mmm... (I have not succumbed to eating them, but I do wish someone would make a vegetarian version!)

It took me a few years to stop lapsing over cheese burgers, too, LOL! I think I'm finally past that phase now. I can go past Macca's without wanting to get a cheese burger. Wooh!
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Fri Oct 16, 2009 08:33 PM
Are twiggy sticks like beef jerky? Beef jerky is so popular here in the U.S., but looking at it makes me gag.

I had cheese pizza tonight, and it tasted wonderful. The person in front of me had ordered pepperoni(they showed him to make sure it was the right order), and it looked slightly nauseating to me.

I actually haven't eaten meat since Tuesday, and I decided to just be done with it and officially be vegetarian. I feel better than I have in a long time, and I'm not craving meat at all. My family is pretty supportive. Other than the occasional chicken stir fry or hamburger, my mom doesn't eat much meat, so she's game to eat vegetarian meals with me. My dad and sister both love veggie "meat" so we're good there. I'm making lasagna tomorrow with the crumbles fake ground beef.

I find that the hardest thing is trying to explain why I decided to stop eating meat. There's really no delicate way to say "I cannot eat cruelly slaughtered animal flesh anymore" without offending people.
On Wed Jan 20, 2010 08:17 PM
I'm still going strong, and don't plan to ever eat meat again. If someone is lurking and considering trying a vegetarian lifestyle, do it! It's so much easier than I ever thought it could be, and I was a HUGE meat lover who ate meat every day. It gets annoying to travel, but even Burger King has a veggie burger on the menu now. Not to mention, it's not hard to find pretzels, string cheese, nuts, fruit, etc in many gas stations.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Wed Jan 20, 2010 08:54 PM
Kekoa wrote:

I find that the hardest thing is trying to explain why I decided to stop eating meat. There's really no delicate way to say "I cannot eat cruelly slaughtered animal flesh anymore" without offending people.

Try being asked that question when you come from a family of sheep-farmers! It's not easy. I just say "I don't want to eat dead animals anymore" and the mental imagery is usually enough to stop anyone dead.

But it's been so long now since I've been vegetarian that my family and friends are used to it and my aunts prepare something for me at family dinners, and anyone new who I meet doesn't ask because they just assume I always have been a vegetarian.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Sat Apr 10, 2010 02:26 PM
I've been saying "I find that it's healthier and I feel better," trying to avoid conflict. The last six months have taught me that there are so many misconceptions, and so much fear about vegetarians! "What do you eat?!" Well, if anything, I eat much more than I did as a meat eater. Yesterday, I had a new whole wheat pasta dish with greens, tomatoes and vegan cashew "cheese." It was to die for! "I'd die without meat!" Well, actually every study shows you'd be healthier. I just smile and bite my tongue though.

Everything here is going great, and my mom became a pescitarian last month (where you only eat seafood), but she eats fish maybe once a week. It's been awesome, because it allows us to cook most of our meals together, whereas before, I had to make a lot of small meals for myself. We've been checking out some of Kansas City's best vegetarian restaurants, and it's been a lot of fun. It still amazes me how much I love this. It irritates the crap out of me when people say "Oh, I give you sixteen months tops." People who haven't lived it just don't understand.

Oh, and I also have a suspected dairy intolerance, so I'm trying to cut back on dairy. Huge, immense props to you vegans, because it's really difficult. I'm trying to stick to just cheese, and it's helped a lot. Amy's is a life saver, for making such delicious dairy-free stuff. Dairy in things (desserts, puddings, fake meat products, etc) doesn't bother me at all, but too much cheese or any straight up milk, and my stomach kills me. Grrr.
By TinyDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 772, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 PM
I'm considering vegetarianism but I was scared that there wouldn't be much variety in what I could eat. I googled vegetarian recipes and found a fantastic website that I wanted to share:

www.taste.com.au . . .

Some of the recipes use dairy products/eggs and may not be suitable for those who are not lacto-ovo vegetarians but I am definitely looking forward to trying these recipes.

I don't enjoy meat products and I'm very willing to try vegetarianism. I have my fingers crossed that it will work out for me.
On Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:07 AM
DaNcInG_MoNkEe wrote:

I'm considering vegetarianism but I was scared that there wouldn't be much variety in what I could eat. I googled vegetarian recipes and found a fantastic website that I wanted to share:

www.taste.com.au . . .

Some of the recipes use dairy products/eggs and may not be suitable for those who are not lacto-ovo vegetarians but I am definitely looking forward to trying these recipes.

I don't enjoy meat products and I'm very willing to try vegetarianism. I have my fingers crossed that it will work out for me.

Every vegetarian I've ever talked to (myself as well) swears up and down that becoming veggie only expands your food options :)

Vegetarian Times, in addition to being an amazing magazine, has a huge recipe database. There are great cookbooks out there. I have one with 300 vegan recipes that take 30 minutes or less, and are delicious!

www.vegetariantimes.com
By TinyDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 772, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:13 AM
Thanks so much. I'm really looking forward to this new venture. My mum isn't too happy about it, but I'm hoping that I can encourage her to use less meat products. Vegetarianism just seems to be a much healthier lifestyle (so long as you do it properly) and thats what I am aiming for.
By b3452 Comments: 14, member since Mon May 24, 2010
On Sun May 30, 2010 09:55 PM
I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. (: I have been since I was 12, because I don't like how the animals are treated, it's terrible! I have recently have been reading "The China Study", by Dr. T. Colin Campbell, and it's really amazing. It talks about how animal proteins directly cause cancer, and how a plant based diet can stop and reverse many health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, etc. And it's all legit because the author has done 70 years worth of research on it. I'd recomend it to everyone. After reading this book I really want to go vegan, but my mom would freak if I did, she already hates me being vegetarian as it is. :/
On Sun May 30, 2010 11:48 PM
Vegans, I need help! Why is it so darn hard? I feel like I've been doing fantastically with my vegetarianism. I only eat eggs if they're in a recipe, the only dairy products I eat are cheese and sour cream, I make sure not to overdo the soy and 99% of the grains I eat are whole wheat. It's just so darn hard to cut out all dairy and eggs! I know it's better for me and better for animals (the dairy and egg industry is AWFUL), so I want to get to the point of eating vegan 50% or more of the time. It's just soooo hard, and I find myself sucking with vegan recipes. I know that I do too much cheese, it's a nasty habit to cut.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Fri Jun 11, 2010 05:04 PM
Hi everyone
Thanks for this thread, I have recently started to think about becoming a veggie of some sort, but I am unsure of how far to push the boundaries at the moment as I am anaemic and don't want to end up worse.
I don't really eat a lot of red meat, occasionally sausages and bacon, rarely beef and hardly ever lamb or such like. Pork doesn't tickle my tastebuds. Therefore my staple meat at the moment is chicken and rarely fish.
I eat eggs perhaps once a month and the only milk I have is on cereal and in maybe 1 drink a day.
I just wondered if anyone would be kind enough to PM about how to get started with it all, without spending a fortune, and whether it would affect my anaemia at all. I currently get a lot of protien from nuts and dried fruit and eat snacks such as fruit.
I am not a fan of soya milk or anything like it, but as I don't touch much milk as it is, maybe I could come onto that stage at a later date.
Thanks C x
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5772, member since Thu Aug 30, 2001
On Fri Dec 24, 2010 01:10 PM
Ugh...I never encounter many unsupportive people, except my grandparents and a few older adults. They are here for Christmas and they've been here for only 24 hours and have offended me already. They think it's funny but they don't realize it's actually hurtful and rude. I was making some lunch and my dad asked if I would play Trivial Pursuit with them. It's widely known around our family that I hate board games and I will not play them. I told him no, that I don't like games. Then my grandpa said, "How are you ever going to find a man? You don't like games and you're a vegetarian!" Yes, because all men only love women who play games and eat meat. My grandma started laughing and thought it was hilarious. I did not. I went about my business and they said some other dumb comment that I don't know because I was trying not to cry (haha I cry a lot when I'm at home because I eat a bunch of crap and it messes with me) or yell at anyone. I should have brought my blood test results with me so they could look at them and see that EVERYTHING they tested was within the normal range. They're always asking me about protein and other things.

Hopefully this won't be a problem the rest of the trip. If they say anything else, though, I can't promise that I won't let the beast out! Haha.

Once I was leading a small group at a girl's house (I lead a small group of some freshmen in high school). The girl's parents were out of town so her grandparents were there to take care of them. Her grandma was practically force-feeding everyone and asked if I wanted a turkey sandwich. I should've just told her I wasn't hungry, but I told her I was a vegetarian. So she starts telling me a story of how one of her older granddaughters was a vegetarian for a while, but then she "finally came to her senses." I was like UM WOW I'm sitting right here.

It's just so annoying. People think they are being funny or they think they're are going to change my mind, but it's just rude. I don't make fun of you for eating meat, I don't question your health or if you're getting enough of anything, I don't tell you that you should or shouldn't be eating something. Grr. Just mind your own business people! I'm glad most of my friends and people from younger generations are more understanding and actually will accommodate me (my parents and grandparents will not eat vegetarian meals or make them...I don't expect them to, but you know, one vegetarian family meal would be nice).

Anyway, I think that helped me get some frustration out!
By gioland Comments: 248, member since Tue Sep 08, 2009
On Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:39 PM
Odessa wrote:

"I don't want to eat dead animals anymore"

LOL! Who would want to eat a live animal? Sorry! I find that extremely amusing... :P It will always make me think of D. Adams' "Restaurant at the end of the universe", with the talking cow advertising its best cuts of meat...

(I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian since 1999)...
By camymac_dancer Comments: 96, member since Sun Jul 01, 2012
On Sun Jul 08, 2012 03:07 PM
Thank you for posting this! I'm a vegetarian mysself, but I still eat some seafood. I think this is really helpful to vegetarians, people who want to become vegetarians, and people who just want to learn more about them!
By ash007 Comments: 20, member since Tue Jan 24, 2012
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:35 PM
hey, thanks for posting this onto the website! lots of grea information
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 05:15 AM
Kekoa wrote:

I've been saying "I find that it's healthier and I feel better," trying to avoid conflict. The last six months have taught me that there are so many misconceptions, and so much fear about vegetarians! "What do you eat?!" Well, if anything, I eat much more than I did as a meat eater. Yesterday, I had a new whole wheat pasta dish with greens, tomatoes and vegan cashew "cheese." It was to die for! "I'd die without meat!" Well, actually every study shows you'd be healthier. I just smile and bite my tongue though.

Everything here is going great, and my mom became a pescitarian last month (where you only eat seafood), but she eats fish maybe once a week. It's been awesome, because it allows us to cook most of our meals together, whereas before, I had to make a lot of small meals for myself. We've been checking out some of Kansas City's best vegetarian restaurants, and it's been a lot of fun. It still amazes me how much I love this. It irritates the crap out of me when people say "Oh, I give you sixteen months tops." People who haven't lived it just don't understand.

Oh, and I also have a suspected dairy intolerance, so I'm trying to cut back on dairy. Huge, immense props to you vegans, because it's really difficult. I'm trying to stick to just cheese, and it's helped a lot. Amy's is a life saver, for making such delicious dairy-free stuff. Dairy in things (desserts, puddings, fake meat products, etc) doesn't bother me at all, but too much cheese or any straight up milk, and my stomach kills me. Grrr.

Prophetic words...October 14th marks three years and I'm more convicted than ever in being vegetarian :D Even better, pretty much everyone has accepted it by now and knows I'm in it for the long haul.

Anyhow, thought I'd bump this baby for new members :)
By craftarina Comments: 38, member since Mon Apr 23, 2012
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 08:40 PM
Edited by craftarina (249073) on 2013-01-25 20:41:25
All I want to say is THANK YOU!!!! THANKS YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! I turn veg just these past two weeks because we were forced to watch Food inc. (shows graphic food processing images) in my APES class last week and I cannot get those images and facts out of my head! I have been so sad because all I could find to eat was PB and honey sandwiches and salad (I am a picky eater to begin with) and I am so happy to receive recipes, advice and encouragement from fellow dancers!
Keep on being veg!

Craftarina
By bigTreblemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1737, member since Mon Jan 26, 2004
On Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:17 PM
This past January marked three years of a whole foods plant-based diet for me. I started out as a cheese-loving omnivore thinking I'd "try the vegan thing" for two months and then re-evaluate. Two months came and went and I never gave it a second thought.

I use the term "whole foods plant-based" because A. people tend to get defensive when they hear the word vegan, and B. while I love animals, the reason for my diet is health. So in addition to animal products, I also avoid processed crap.

For anyone interested in learning more about converting to a healthier diet, I have a few tips that helped me love my diet.

First, I highly recommend reading The China Study (that's what did it for me!) or if that seems to dry for you, check out the documentary Forks Over Knives. Both are excellent sources of information, but more importantly, they are based on research and scientific studies. (The guy who wrote the China Study actually grew up on a dairy farm!)

I also recommend trying to stay away from the "fake meat". Like most people, I tried it out when switching, but it never tastes as good as the original products, and they are usually packed full of soy and chemicals and other stuff that's just as unhealthy as meat is. Instead use things like tempeh, or seitan, or textured vegetable protein to replace the meat. Anything good for you is going to be something where you can look at the label and recognize every single one of the ingredients. (Field Roast and Dr. Praeger's are two great brands that come to mind!)

But better than just finding thing to replace the meats and cheeses that were once on your plate, is to completely re-think your meal. If you're just trying to recreate what you used to eat, you're going to eventually end up disappointed. Try completely new recipes, that way you won't feel like anything is missing! And your mind will be blown by the amazing and delicious food combinations you never knew about!

People will ask you where you get your protein. All the time. Don't let them phase you. I like to answer their question with my own question of "which specific amino acid is it that you are worried about?" That usually keeps them quiet, and makes them re-think about what they are actually asking. In addition to the many professional athletes that eat a vegan diet, I can personally attest to it. I trained for and ran my first marathon as a vegan. Having been a runner since High School, switching my diet has been one of the best things for my running! So don't let anyone tell you a healthy vegan diet will hold you back. And it's not any harder than eating an omnivore diet!

I'm not trying to convert anyone out there, so I hope I don't sound preachy. I just really love my diet so much that I legitmately get excited about it. :) And there are definitely some things I wish I would have known from the start, so I like to try and pass on that info to other people so they don't have to make the same mistakes I did!
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 04:47 AM
I'm going through a really rough time, my fellow veg*ns :(

I really miss meat. I'll admit it. I also work in a health food store, and am reminded on a daily basis that opting out of the system entirely isn't the best way to promote the spread of "humane" meats as mainstream, that only creating the demand will really cause the free range/organic meat movement to grow.

However, I just can't do it. The thought of consuming an animal, no matter how humanely they're treated and killed, just turns my stomach. And not even for anyone else, I don't think twice when others eat meat. I just can't do it. And I'm constantly bored with my food, despite trying out tons of new recipes.

Any BTDT advice? :?
By Bobbypins Comments: 22, member since Mon Apr 08, 2013
On Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:32 PM
This was an interesting read I've been thinking of becoming vegetarian for a while and this support and motivation might just be enough to help me stick to it
By bevie Comments: 20, member since Sun Aug 29, 2004
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 08:54 AM
Even going meat free once or twice a week can make a world of difference for your body. Just be sure to get your protein from real sources i.e.. edamame. Do not over eat soy products. The United States has caught on to this "health craze" and soy products are being produced en masse. Over consumption of soy can actually lead to breast cancer.
By bigTreblemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1737, member since Mon Jan 26, 2004
On Thu May 30, 2013 10:34 AM
Soy doesn't lead to breast cancer.

Here are three articles that do a good job of explaining the confusion on why some people misunderstand the facts.

www.cancer.org . . .

well.blogs.nytimes.com . . .

www.breastcancer.org . . .

I do think, however, that it's very beneficial to stay away from overly processed soy products. Most of the fake meats out there fall into this category. (But there are some great options!)

Plus, you should always go for organic soy products anyway, because if it's not organic, then there's a pretty good chance that you're supporting Monsanto, and everyone knows they're just plain evil! :)
By dancelover17 Comments: 8, member since Wed Jun 26, 2013
On Wed Jun 26, 2013 03:14 AM
Just to give some extra advice! I've been a vegetarian for about 2 years and i have an extra pro-cations you should take if thinking about becoming a vegetarian.

ITS IS REALLY EASY TO BECOME IRON DEFICIENT (especially in teen girls) side effects are low energy and a weakened immune system due to less oxygen in your blood cells. After about 6 months of becoming a vegetarian/vegan you should take a blood test to check your levels! (And remember to eat your lentils! They are a great source of iron!)

-DL17
By camymac_dancer Comments: 96, member since Sun Jul 01, 2012
On Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:55 AM
There are pescitarians, who do eat seafood occasionally but otherwise are vegetarians. I am one myself, but am trying my best to completely cut out seafood as well.
Page:
Page 4 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch