Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates DVDs...
By mytoestwinkle07
On Thu Feb 08, 2007 07:15 PM

At my ballet studio, my teacher stresses the importance of taking Pilates classes. She is kind of contradicting herself, however, because the company classes for us is at the same exact time that Pilates is taught.

Mondays and Thursdays, company class is from 5:30-7:00 and the Pilates class is only on Mondays and Thursdays from 6:00-7:00

I really want to start Pilates to start strengthening my core and lengthening my muscles, because I had poor training when I was young and I have large quads and calves.

Can anyone suggest their favorite Pilates videos that are relatively cheap??

2 Replies to Pilates DVDs...

re: Pilates DVDs...
By Jeannie1member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 08, 2007 07:33 PM
Well, the thing with the videos is that they don't physically teach you how to really do things properly. They show you how to do the exercise, but they don't go into great detail on how to do it properly. I use the Winsor Pilates DVDs, however, I took about 5 years worth of classes in a studio, where I had a teacher who was very hands on and was wonderful at giving corrections. She would actually come up to you, fix you, tell you what you were doing wrong and how to do it right.

With a video, they're just going to say things like "come on you can do it! keep breathing! don't stop now!" Try to get into a pilates class somewhere else in your area, just so you can really learn the basics. It's a lot more than just the movements.
re: Pilates DVDs...
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 02:14 PM
I use the Gaiam Pilates for Beginners and the Pilates for Dummies. Both are excellent, I think. They're both around $15 USD. I also take a class where I have a teacher making corrections.

My teacher said that with dancers, it's easier to correct because we know our bodies so well that we self correct. People who don't have the level of body awareness will let their spines get out of alignment or not know the difference between stretching pain and actual pain. It's little details like that.

ReplySendWatch