Forum: Ballet / Costumes

How to make a Ballet Skirt! For class OR costume. (karma: 7)
By miza_of_gizamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 02:29 AM
Edited by miza_of_giza (90647) on 2007-02-12 02:32:03 Picture wasnt showing...hmmm
Edited by miza_of_giza (90647) on 2007-02-12 02:33:11

Hi there! It as the title say's. I made a Ballet skirt, just a simple straight wrap around, that you can use for class, or even a costume. I couldnt find a pattern because i wasnt really prepared to pay for it, so i just decided to see if my theory was correct, so here's i made it!

1. Supplies:
*1 or 2 Metres of Chiffon (depending on how long you need it, so measure yourself first:) Whatever colour/design you want your skirt to be.
*Approx 1.5-2 metres of matching ribbon, solid colour preferably. (The length will also depend on how long your skirt needs to be.)
*Scissors. (Make sure they're sharp!)
*Matching colour thread to your ribbon/fabric/
*Sewing needle
*Tacking pins
*Clear nailpolish. (for the ends of your ribbon)
*Measuring tape.
*Chalk
*Sewing machine...Optional, but preferable.

2. Measuring yourself. (WRITE IT DOWN)
Ok, now that you have your supplies, you have to measure yourself to get the specs.
You need to measure around your waist, once you have done that write that length down.
Now, add a few inches (minimum 4)

Now you need to measure how long you want your skirt, mine is 14 inches, ou may want it a bit shorter, but leave a bit of lenth for hems and tidy-up.
Write that down too.

Let's just say you were measured, and these are the specs:
Waist: 30 Inches
Length: 14 Inches

3. Measureing and cutting your Chiffon (CAREFUL!)
So now that you're all measured up :) it's time to measure and cut the fabric. You have to be careful because Chiffon is quite fidgety.
I started with the corner of the fabric, measuring the length (14 inches) Mark it with chalk.
Then to measure the width i used the edge of the fabric to make sure it was straight, measure the 30 inches, Mark it.
Again mark the length at the other side, it may help when cutting for you to mark the un-edged sides in the middle of the fabric to do dots to follow with the scissors,
you will need to keep measuring the 14 inches as you go along s it ends up straight.

Now, get the scissors, and CAREFULLY and slowly cut along the dots to the markings..

After you've done that, you may want to get the big rectangle you've just cut and wrap it around you and look in the mirror too see if it's not too long, Remember a few inces overlapped is good, you will loose a bit of it on the next part.

4. Rounding the corners. (CAREFUL, again)
This is probably the most frustrating/difficult part.
What i did was get my chalk, with one side of my skirt flat in front of me, i measured along the bottom 7 inches and marked it,
then from the top corner of my skirt did small strokes down and rounding the corner finishing up right of the edge of the marking. Such as the diagram below.

Image hotlink - 'http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f76/mizza_industriez/skirt.jpg'

To do the other side, fold your skirt in half and follow the shape by marking with the chalk, then cut.

5.Hemming.
I suggest you put a hem on your skirt.
Firstly to make it much, MUCH easier, use yout tacking pins, and fold a small hem and tack it along.
Then i suggest you hand sew fairly firmly, take out the pins, now when you're happy with the hemline, sew with a sewing machine.
I suggest you do it fairly slowly, so your fabric doesnt snag or mess up.
If you didnt tie a knot in the hand sewing, you should be able to pull it out. If not, i wouldnt worry.

6. Adding the ribbon.
Grab the ribbon, now make sure it can fit around you twice to either tie up at the back, or side, and theres enough to tie a nice bow. Cut it, A diagonal cut looks nice.
Then to seal the ends so it doesnt fray, use the clear nail-polish on the ends.

Now fold the ribbon in half, find the middle. Do the same on your skirt, and tack it in the middle (at the top obviously) then following along til you reach the ends.
I suggest you tack with pins, then hand sewing tacking and again with the machine. It makes it a lot easier, not having to worry about keeping it straight while in the machine.

And there you have it!

By The Way...Put on your skirt before machine sewing it to make sure you are happy with it.

Enjoy!
And stay tuned for PART 2... Where my results for another style :)

XOX Miriam

14 Replies to How to make a Ballet Skirt! For class OR costume.

re: How to make a Ballet Skirt! For class OR costume.
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 09:26 AM
Awesome, thanks for posting, I've been looking for a skirt on ebay for ages, for some reason I hadn't even thought of making one, which is crazy because I made my last one. Lol.

Ballet_Baibe
By imadancer2member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:59 PM
ooo! thank you! i've always wanted to make one. i found a pattern for little kids, but it wouldn't have fit me (besides, the pattern was 20.00!!!). cool! i ususally just buy mine, but making one would be so much cooler!

keep dancing!
~madison
By enigmaticpheomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 01:12 PM
Oh gosh, this is FANTASTIC! Brava you!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 05:09 PM
Great job!

Here's a tip that will help with drawing that curve when you round the corners: You can use a curved rule or a flexible curve (a plastic rule with a wire in it so that it bends). You can get these at office supply stores, art supply stores or sewing stores. If you use the curved rule it will have a pre-set curve to it. The bendable one is so you can bend it just the way you like it and then trace along it. Voila! :)
By Allianamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 08:43 PM
haha, ironic.... I bought some fabric today to make a skirt and then was wondering where to get instructions. (I was just going to wing it...) and then voila, here it is...

awesome, thanks so much!
By PointePrincess73
On Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:16 AM
Thanks so much. Did you make that blue one in the picture?
By Loliummember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:49 AM
Thnks a million! I could only find really long skirts in the stores and they're either burgundy or black! This was great! Kama for your post..
By miza_of_gizamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 15, 2007 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone, but no i didnt make the blue one, i havent taken a picture of the one i made yet, but hopefully soon, when i finish the other one.

LEt me know how they turn out :)
xox
By VJRBallet
On Fri Feb 16, 2007 07:41 AM
For a really nice classroom skirt with a little flow to it just follow directions you can find online for a circle skirt made to the length you want. Split the center, round the edges and attach grosgrain ribbon at the top edge.

If you want a pattern, the one I've used is by skatedesign.com. It is $20 but you get sizes from a tot to and adult large on the same pattern. I made them and sold them at our studio for years.
By Ballerinax22
On Sat Mar 03, 2007 07:51 PM
Thank you so much. I can't wait to make a beautiful skirt and wear it to class! All the girls will envy me when i tell them I made it!! It will be so cool!
By Tenduprincess01
On Sun Mar 11, 2007 01:19 PM
thanks lots for posting this because i have thinking of how i can make one but knowing me i will find somehow to mess it up ha ha ha lol!!!! =)
By Gelseyisthebestmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 11, 2007 03:01 PM
hahaha at this very moment my oldest sister is making me a ballet skirt. well it's the third one she's made. she's getting better at it..lol

I like this post though! we're making mine kinda like this, though we just traced around another skirt I had..
By dancing_lil_kimmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:26 AM
This is fantastic! I'm gonna try it asap!!!
I can't wait for the next part!!!!

ReplySendWatch Draw