Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

We Need To Get This Forum Going!
By Dancinchic522
On Wed Feb 14, 2007 09:45 PM
Edited by Dancinchic522 (124853) on 2007-02-14 21:47:52

There are barely any posts on here anymore!
So... I'm in hopes of maybe getting everyone to start back up.
This is an anything post.
Respond with:
- your favorite type of tap shoes
- what type of floor you dance on at home
- how many classes you take a week
- teaching methods
- whatever companies you're in
- what your favorite tap show on broadway is
- your favorite tap dance movie
- your favorite tap dance book
- your favorite songs to tap to
- your favorite style of tap
- if you like to perform or compete
- how you stretch before you go on stage
- how you clean up your shoes before the performance
- what your warm up is
- what your favorite tap steps are
- how long you've been tapping
- what your future career goals are, if you have any
- if you're planning on studying it in college, if so, what college?

ANYTHING
It doesn't have to be every single one of those. Doesn't even have to be one of the ones there. Just say something! Maybe we'll all find something major in common that we can post and talk about

2 Replies to We Need To Get This Forum Going!

re: We Need To Get This Forum Going!
By glitterfairyPremium member
On Thu Feb 15, 2007 04:57 AM
- your favorite type of tap shoes Salvios!
- what type of floor you dance on at home Whilst I do have these long, joined strips of man-made wood in my garage, normally I'm too lazy to take the cars out so I just tap in bare feet in my carpeted loungeroom :D
- how many classes you take a week One tap class, technically four flamenco classes over two days, one Kathak class (one of the classical indian dance forms I think...) and one singing class
- teaching methods Having trained under some awesome teachers I'm now very picky... those that don't know what they're doing (yet think they know everything), those that are hopeless communicators, and those that just don't care enough about their students (in my opinion) just piss me off. I love teachers that continue to challenge their students time and time again :D
- whatever companies you're in none currently
- what your favorite tap show on broadway is I'm an Aussie so not really in touch with broadway...
- your favorite tap dance movie ooh. Singin' In the Rain is awesome because of Gene Kelly. Kiss Me Kate is awesome because of Ann Miller. And there's one other I can't remember the name of, but Eleanor Powell!!! WOW WOW WOW!
- your favorite tap dance book uh... there are books? lol
- your favorite songs to tap to I love old-school classics like "Sing Sing Sing", and there are always some great versions of "Don't Mean A Thing" around which I love because they're nice and fast, and it's great for working with a live drummer. I also love some contemporary songs though... working on a moody country song as a prac routine at the moment (can't remember the name). Have also tapped to flamenco/middle eastern/indian rhythms, which is very fun!
- your favorite style of tap One that relies on skill rather than tricks. One that concentrates on tight, rhythmical footwork, but still requires good presentation skills (a la Gene Kelly, Ann Miller, Eleanor Powell...)
- if you like to perform or compete I loved both. I love performing to pieces, but I won't deny I have a competitive streak.
- how you stretch before you go on stage Depends on what I'm about to do - a quick routine, or a 3-hour show? Will I just be tapping? Ranges from basic calf stretches to the full calf/hamstring/lats/shoulders, more if I'm injured at the time.
- how you clean up your shoes before the performance heh. Scrape off any wax, whack some polish on the night before. My shoes are tough ;)
- what your warm up is Ankle rotations, and then several combos, mostly on the spot and mostly to warm up ankle mobility and get some speed going. A lot of what I do really needs quick, light footwork.
- what your favorite tap steps are I actually don't have a favourite "step" per se, and the ones I like we don't really have official names for (we were a bit lazy at my studio ;) you just copied the teacher). Most of the things I enjoy now are actually combinations rather than individual steps themselves.
- how long you've been tapping[/B[ 14 years now.
[B]- what your future career goals are, if you have any
Goodness me, I don't know! I'd like a stable job though. I thought I wanted to stay in the entertainment industry, now I'm not so sure... both my parents have a very strong business background and there's a part of me that really loves working with people and working hard to get a project done, so who knows? I would love to continue teaching though, and performing on the side. But finding the time is getting very tight!
- if you're planning on studying it in college, if so, what college? NA
re: We Need To Get This Forum Going!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 12, 2007 06:51 PM
- your favorite type of tap shoes
ones that don't fly off my feet when I do wings. I'm yet to find a pair.
- what type of floor you dance on at home
carpet
- how many classes you take a week
none, though I teach one tap class in my load
- teaching methods
I do what works. Sorry, this is an odd question and my mumnesia prevents me from articulating an appropriate response.
- whatever companies you're in
none
- what your favorite tap show on broadway is
I live in Australia so probably Tap Dogs
- your favorite tap dance movie
Singin' in the Rain
- your favorite tap dance book
don't have one
- your favorite songs to tap to
jazz/funk fusion
- your favorite style of tap
my own mixture of Broadway and funkier rhythmic tap
- if you like to perform or compete
not anymore, though I used to
- how you stretch before you go on stage
Can't remember what I used to do!
- how you clean up your shoes before the performance
paint the entire shoe!
- what your warm up is
ankle work
- what your favorite tap steps are
ripples
- how long you've been tapping
Well over 20 years now, but saying would give away my age
- what your future career goals are, if you have any
At the moment, my long-term goals focus on family, not career.
- if you're planning on studying it in college, if so, what college?
Past the stage of my life, thankfully!

Helen

ReplySendWatch