Forum: Folk / Asian Classical Dance

Asian Classical Dance
Who here does Philippine dances?
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Fri Feb 16, 2007 05:54 PM
Moved to Asian Classical Dance by pharmadancer (87219) on 2007-02-19 05:59:20 moved to more appropriate forum

I see plenty here on Hawaiian and Tahitian dancing, but nothing on dances from the Philippines - which has many, ranging from easy mixers that anyone can do to the delightful Polka Se Nayon (smooth, not hopping due to the tropical climate), to the Tinnikling, the unofficial, if not official National dance, where bamboo poles come crashing together every third beat, and on the remaining beats bare feet land between them.

5 Replies to Who here does Philippine dances?

re: Who here does Philippine dances?
By No_Longer_on_DDNPremium member Comments: 102, member since Tue Mar 14, 2006
On Sun Feb 18, 2007 05:08 PM
Aloha,

I think that you're not seeing anything on dances from the Philippines because it's not a type of Polynesian dance...and this is a Polynesian dance board.

Although the dances from the Philippines are beautiful, the Philippines is not a part of Polynesia.

= )
On Mon Feb 19, 2007 04:23 PM
Makes sense. Thank you for the data.
By balletgurl23 Comments: 51, member since Mon Mar 19, 2007
On Wed Mar 21, 2007 06:19 PM
i didn`t know anyone did philly dancing
On Thu Mar 22, 2007 03:46 PM
Thank you for the reply.
Youtube is full of philippine dance. At least one link to the Tinikling has been posted on DDN already, but here is another, for a closer view.
www.youtube.com . . .=
By THATballerina Comments: 185, member since Tue Nov 28, 2006
On Tue Apr 17, 2007 09:50 AM
I did Filipino dance! We did Tinnikling, Itik Itik (I don't know if that is the right spelling...but it is the Duck Dance), the Umbrella Dance (I don't know the right name for it), the Eagle Dance, and a Candle Dance. I still have my costume for Itik Itik. Just wondering if that was what your looking for, but yes, I did Filipino dance.

I was really good friends with Filipino people and as a dancer they wanted me to dance with them. It was a big thing. :)

You can PM me if you have any questions or want to talk about it.

THATballerina

ReplySendWatch