Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Advanced & Professional Ballet
What do professional dancers make? en>fr fr>en
By odette516 Comments: 105, member since Sat Jan 29, 2005
On Fri Feb 23, 2007 08:36 AM

Does anyone know how much a professional dancer would make per year? And on different levels such as principal with major company, corps de ballet member or regional companies?
Thanks

5 Replies to What do professional dancers make?

re: What do professional dancers make? en>fr fr>en
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18113, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Fri Feb 23, 2007 04:31 PM
Not that much. If the annual company listings in Pointe Magazine are anything to go by, most dancers' pay starts around $400 per week, for a contract period of 40 or so weeks out of the year. That's $16,000 annually, which in most places, isn't nearly enough to live on comfortably. I don't think any of them are in it for the money.
re: What do professional dancers make? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By puppies_flyPremium member Comments: 2809, member since Sun Jan 16, 2005
On Sat Feb 24, 2007 09:18 PM
Edited by puppies_fly (119454) on 2007-02-24 21:19:47 union/non-union
here are the contracts of AGMA companies: www.musicalartists.org . . .

This includes:
Alvin Ailey
Atlanta Ballet
Ballet Hispanico
Ballet Met
Ballet San Jose
Ballet Tech
Ballet West
Boston Ballet
Cincinnati Ballet
Cunningham Dance foundation
Houston Ballet
Joffrey
Martha Graham
NYCB
PNB
Pennsylvania Ballet
PBT
SFB

Every detail of the company contract. Keep in mind, a non-union company may pay principles something closer to the corps members of a union company, and small regional companies perhaps even less.
By destinationchaosmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 378, member since Tue Jul 25, 2006
On Sat Feb 24, 2007 09:41 PM
thanks puppies fly! i had actually been on their website earlier but I couldn't seem to find what i was looking for but this was it! :)
By elusionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1444, member since Sun Sep 30, 2001
On Mon Mar 05, 2007 08:24 PM
it's even less when you're non-union. One of the companies I dance with ays per diem; another pays per performance when we perofrm for schools and per peice when we do our big concerts.
By Dancin_Chica Comments: 30, member since Mon Jul 15, 2002
On Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:12 PM
it varies with each company, but generally, not much! the february issues of dance magazine and pointe magazine have company listings that include starting salaries (for corps) and benefits for company dancers (like insurance, shoe allowance, physiotherapy)

ReplySendWatch