Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

My friends make fun of my dance studio!!!
By LilDanceBabe23
On Mon Feb 26, 2007 06:35 AM

My dance studio isnt as advanced as some of my friends, and they make fun of me and look down on me because of it. Like, we were showing each other our fouettes (not sure how to spell that) i can only do 2, and they can do like 5 and they were like, thats all you can do, adn i was like um yea, and they just laughed...

6 Replies to My friends make fun of my dance studio!!!

re: My friends make fun of my dance studio!!!
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 27, 2007 08:16 AM
Ok, first up fouettes are a ballet move, so this probably ought to go on the ballet board. However!

Secondly, how many fouettes you can do is no reflection on your studio. Some people get them quickly, some don't. Some people are natural turners, some aren't. Your studio might be concentrating on other aspects of technique while theirs might be pushing turns at the moment - either for good reasons. Or they might have been doing five sloppy fouettes while you managed two well-placed ones. I'd take two good over five rubbish any day.
Even if your studio isn't as 'advanced', that's still no reason to look down on someone.

Don't be ashamed of being able to do three less fouettes than them. It's certainly no cause for them to put you down. If they do, they're clearly not very good friends and you need to be around more mature, sensitive people.

If they start again, just politely tell them that you don't appreciate being laughed at and that fouettes (or whatever step) do not make you a star dancer. If they don't stop, just turn away and go and do something else; completely ignore them if they try to show off. They obviously get a kick out of feeling superior and getting attention, so if they see that no-one pays any attention to them when they act like this, they should stop.
By LilDanceBabe23
On Tue Feb 27, 2007 01:21 PM
Thanks, that really helped.
By AlpacaTappa
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 04:11 AM
Yeah, that's not cool, they should be encouraging and supporting your dancing, not putting you down.
Besides, fouettes are just one particular move, and who knows - you could be advanced at a step or move that they aren't.
Anyway, I think that different dance studios have different ways of dancing, and they vary with their teaching techniques. I've been tapping for 11 years, and I've never had to do fouettes (although I live in a different country, so we kind of do things differently, I suppose). Like adageace said, you could be concentrating on completely different steps - while they're learning fouettes, you're doing something else.
So don't worry about what your friends can do, just focus on your own dancing and why you do it - (hopefully) because you love doing it! And I would much rather watch a dancer who genuinely loves and has fun with what they're doing than one who just cares about how advanced they are. ;)
By dancingincereal
On Tue Apr 24, 2007 06:06 PM
great post adageace! and i agree - some studios emphasize different things. plus, who cares? you dance for the fun of it right? and if thats how they are going to act, maybe they have an insecurity and just think that you are the better dancer, and they just want to show off because they have learned something that you havent. i have a few friends and we all go to different studios, and when they learn something that i havent, instead of rubbing it in my face that they can do something i cant, they teach me how to do it, and that way when they teach me at dance, i already have an "edge" on the other girls in my class. haha. and i teach them the stuff i learn too. but if thats the way those so called friends are going to act, maybe it would be better if you didnt discuss dance stuff with them.
ello
By elliemae6
On Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:41 PM
im not bein funny but with friends like that who needs enemies take no notice of them they need to stop critisising you and get a life xxxx love lisa
By jennalovespinkmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 06, 2007 02:06 AM
well, maybe they aren't very good friends. Dance takes a lot more heart then it does technique, and as long as you have pride in your studio everything should be fine

much love
Jenna

ReplySendWatch