Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Have to Practice Tahitian All By Lonesome...Any Advice, ladies?
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:04 PM
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2007-02-28 12:04:53 Hated the original title...

When I was in Hawaii I took Tahitian for awhile. I still remember the steps and I've bought some DVDs to help me along, so I'll be practicing all on my own.

I live in a remote part of Florida that's sort of small-townish and there is not a Tahitian class, or even a Hula halau, anywhere in sight. The 'closest' class is nearly 2 hours away, and with a toddler and how much it is to raise him that's just not possible to make that trip and pay for the gas.

Since I have to practice on my own, do you guys have any advice for me? Any sort of advice will do. I don't care if it involves how much water I should be drinking, and elementary stuff like 'don't move your shoulders!' just dump it all on me!

8 Replies to Have to Practice Tahitian All By Lonesome...Any Advice, ladies?

re: Have to Practice Tahitian All By Lonesome...Any Advice, ladies?
By cleoNY
On Mon Mar 05, 2007 08:24 PM
play with different beats. go techno, otea, aparima... mix it up... it will keep it interesting. being alone sounds so sad. i think the most important thing you can do it keep that smile on your face whenever you dance...

o yea, and keep it smooth.
Tahitian Drill
By wannahula
On Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:16 PM
There's a "drill" where you put your feet flat on the ground and then without moving your shoulders move your pelvis back and forth so that your fa`arapu will be more full and round.

Hope that helps just a tad. ;) I'm from Hawai`i and have been dancing hula and Tahitian since I was 5. When were you in Hawai`i?
On Fri Mar 09, 2007 07:56 AM
Spent lots of time in Hawaii in my late teens and early twenties. Lived there for a short time from late '05 into early '06.

And that drill you mentioned, wannahula, I do do that one. It's true, it helps a lot. But woo! It hurts my lower back! That's what I get for having such a big booty.
By nhannie
On Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:19 PM
i have to practice alone too. because of school, i dont have time for lessons or even practicing on my own. it kind of sucks....at this rate, i'll never get anywhere =(
By wannahula
On Fri Mar 09, 2007 09:33 PM
Cool! Where did you live? O`ahu?
On Mon Mar 12, 2007 07:39 PM
^Yeah, Oahu.

Ladies, I've been at it a week. I've got like NO STAMINA. LOL. After fifteen minutes I am pouring sweat and ready to quit. Tell me it'll get better with time and practice.

My figure 8s suck and my fa'arapu is terrible. I've forgotten how to do flower... I'm a mess. I'm gonna get some better music this week, though, so maybe that will make it better.

Did I mention that I SUCK?! I'm like da kine with NO TALENT.
By wannahula
On Tue Mar 13, 2007 06:56 PM
Celebrian, don't be so hard on yourself! It's WAY harder to find the drive and motivation to dance alone and the fact that you are making time to do something you're passionate about is wonderful in itself.

You don't suck and big booty means nice round fa`arapu. Just chalk it up to the weather or a bad day and it'll get better tomorrow.

On a side and problem solving note, I'm trying to put together a free hula/Tahitian info site. Part of my goal is to get a whole bunch of hula/Tahitian dancers from all over the world to post vids of themselves dancing.

You would get positive feedback from other dancers in a supportive and friendly atmosphere. I'm not sure if you'd be up for that, but you might not feel so lonesome this way and you would be able to track your progress over time through the vids.

In any case, don't be so hard of yourself. I'm rooting for you! :)
On Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:15 PM
I'm doing better. Not fast the way I want to, but better. My figure 8s are looking waaay better, and I'm proudest about that. I've also reconfigured my brain and can do Flower again, but it looks better on the right side than the left. Anybody know why? I feel better, though. I'll just keep practicing.

Mahalo for the encouragement.

P.S. Is Ami and Fa'arapu the same thing? Some of my friends over in Hawaii said 'yes' and some said 'no'. Some are emphatic saying it is ue'ue, but some say no, fa'arapu is not the same as ue'ue. Is there a terminology mix-up everywhere with Tahitian dance?

ReplySendWatch