Forum: Sports / Sports Photos - Misc

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Please tell me what's wrong with this photo :)
By PATower
On Fri Feb 07, 2003 05:56 PM

As a photographer, I'm always on a quest for the "perfect" photo: one where the subject/model/dancer does everything he/she is supposed to do, I do everything I'm supposed to do to capture the moment, and nothing technical goes wrong.

I've always said that if I ever achieve that, I guess I'll have to stop photographing and seek perfection in something else. So tell me why I should go on photographing. :)

Seriously, this photo (rhythmic gymnast Anna Bessonova from Ukraine photographed in a studio in LA) is about as close to perfection as I have come. Her toes are pointed, hands are elegant, she makes it look effortless despite the amazing display of flexibility, the lighting and background are clean, it's in focus and at the peak moment, and her face is showing. And yet I know there is always room for improvement.

Feel free to tell me what you like about it (though this isn't just me fishing for compliments), but I'd also like to know what you think would improve it.

Thanks,
-Patrick

25 Replies to Please tell me what's wrong with this photo :)

re: Please tell me what's wrong with this photo :)
By huilinglee
On Fri Feb 07, 2003 06:36 PM
Ooh...this is tough.
Well, it looks almost perfect. She's got a super amazing leap. And she looks like she's flying and that's what we want. I could just repeat what you say... :)
I guess I can't find anything wrong yet! This is a beautiful picture.

Basically, I like the way the picture is taken. It stands out.
And her leotard is simply superb.
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 07, 2003 07:03 PM
As you said, its as close to perfect as it gets. She is very professional, and maybe that is why she makes it look so effordless. However, her face is missing a certain je ne sais quoi, maybe some attitude or sign of putting up a fight in the jump. give your models some attitude, make them scream and laugh. Its rare, and it's powerful. This is just a suggestion though. The controlled way is an effect in itself, but showing the pain, struggle and joy of moving and reaching your goal is even harder.
GREAT job though. Proofe that photography is truly an art.
Good luck.
By huilinglee
On Sat Feb 08, 2003 05:06 AM
It's weird to see that she hardly needs to bend her back. Her legs do the bending.... right up to the HEAD!! youch!
By Babycakes
On Sat Feb 08, 2003 01:02 PM
I actually visted your site and this was the photograph that stuck in my mind. It's truly fantastic.

I also saw the comments about her being 'sore & tired' from competition! my goodness - certainly wouldn't have thought that from the photo.

Please don't stop, your site and photographs are just brilliant.

Gem xx
By FlippinCrazy
On Sat Feb 08, 2003 04:57 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. It looks professional. It's beautiful.
By gymnast
On Sat Feb 08, 2003 06:56 PM
i hope you still continue photography in this area cuz your photos are just amazing...
Thanks, all
By PATower
On Sat Feb 08, 2003 07:14 PM
Just to clarify, I was kidding about quitting.
I definitely haven't done everything I can with this art form, so I will continue.

And I agree that her expression was a bit lacking. It's difficult to give too much direction when we don't speak the same language. :) And, as I stated on my web site, she was too sore and tired from competing to do any other leaps, so I'm not sure how much expression I could have gotten from her.
But this is definitely something to keep in mind when I (hopefully) photograph her teammate in a couple of weeks and then maybe photograph her again in Ukraine next month.

Thanks again for your comments and encouragement.
Also, thanks to the dancers and gymnasts for giving me subjects for my art. :)

-Patrick
By Ballerina_barbie
On Sun Feb 09, 2003 01:09 PM
Its gorgeous! She has amazing legs!!!

JEALOUSY!!!

Ummm.... If I was the photographer I would have put her hair in a more elegant style, like a neat bun, although her hair is ok atm, its a bit normal, and it doesnt really fit with the rest of he picture. Other than that its perfect!

xxxx Nat xxxx
By rg_sweetie
On Mon Feb 10, 2003 03:53 AM
Hi patrick! I am a big fan of rhythmic gymnastics. I visit your site very often and your photos are so nice. Basically this picture is near to perfection. However, if Anna has a chignon rather than a pony tail it will be PERFECT!!! Because rg gymnasts usually comb their hair into a chignon. Anyway, Anna's leap is just amazing and astonishing. A great picture!
I hope to see more wonderful picture from you in the future. :)
By Goddess2
On Mon Feb 10, 2003 06:30 AM
Wow, thats an amazing pic.
Please tell me what's wrong with this photo
By STEPHANIE3
On Mon Feb 10, 2003 01:39 PM
Hiya
There is nothing wrong with this
photo,ur AMAZING and very flexable.
Luv Steph x x x x x x x x x x x x
ps i like ur cozzie.
By dance_is_life_99member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 11, 2003 08:59 PM
I'm glad to see you've become a member! I have been a huge fan of your site ever since I became interested in rhythmic gymnastics and this is just another beautiful photo taken by you! Awesome!
Cynthia
By ohioguy8526
On Sun Feb 16, 2003 06:13 PM
man that pic is incredible, I just can't believe somebody could jump and do that lol
By crazyred1285
On Mon Feb 17, 2003 06:24 PM
Thats awsome...very inspiring...thanks for posting!
~Heather*
By StarChik
On Thu Feb 20, 2003 07:30 PM
thats not even close to perfection... that IS perfection!
~Brie~
By luckyclover26
On Thu Feb 20, 2003 08:11 PM
This is an amazing picture! I don't see anything wrong with it!
i
By hayleypie
On Fri Feb 21, 2003 02:34 PM
This makes me shiver just looking at it!!!!
I can't see anything wrong with the photo. It is just perfect.
I don't know how these gymnasts can do half this stuff!!!!
It's a great photo.
luv Hayley :D
Thanks for the comments
By PATower
On Mon Mar 03, 2003 03:22 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. I have not given up photography and continue my quest for perfection.
Regarding the hair comments, I agree that the gymnasts usually have their hair in a bun, but that is precisely why I didn't want that in this photo. I was going for a different look than people see in competition. I actually had her try a few with her hair down, but it blew into her face too much. Hence, the ponytail.
I wanted to post a photo of her teammate taken a couple of weeks later, but it appears the rules have changed here, and I've now been downgraded to a "New Member" with no picture posting rights. :(
For now, you can see the new photos at www.gymages.com . . .
I also hope to have a new dance promo card ready in the next day or two, so don't be surprised if the photo is not what you expect when you get there. ;)
-Patrick
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 03, 2003 05:24 PM
I think her outfit is a little too shiny. The red reflection bouncing off detracts a little from the picture.

Otherwise, WOW.
By hotforpointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 03, 2003 06:48 PM
gees thats great i think the coustume is too shinny though.
By huilinglee
On Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:41 PM
I like toma's ball leotard...
it's very sweet
By rg_sweetie
On Wed Mar 05, 2003 06:40 AM
I think you mean the pale pink one, the one she wore in 02's Europeans.
By Moon_Girlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 05, 2003 08:05 AM
only thing I see that you could "say" is wrong cause I think it's beautiful, could be maybe her hair should ahve been in a bun and maybe her hands could have beem the same height.
By rg_chic_4eva
On Sat Mar 08, 2003 05:35 PM
I think its amazing
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch