Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Hair and Polynesian Dance
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 14, 2007 09:01 AM

I was recently on the phone to a friend of mine in Hawaii and told her I was thinking of getting a boycut. She flipped out. My hair is nearly to my lower back after years of growth. My last bona fide haircut was in 2003, early in the year when I had it cut to just above my shoulders.

I've noticed that in Polynesia most girls just don't get haircuts. The friend I mentioned up there^, her hair is just past her booty. It's been as long as her knees. Periodically she cuts it to just above her butt and starts all over again. Usually when this happens, her family will start crying.

This is something unique to Polynesian dance, kind of like in Irish dance where you have to curl your hair before a competition.

How long is your hair and how long have you been growing it? When was your last haircut?

5 Replies to Hair and Polynesian Dance

re: Hair and Polynesian Dance
By cilla45
On Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:59 AM
My hair is down to my lower back.
The last time I got a lot cut off was about 10 years ago when I got it cut from my lower back to just passed my shoulder. Now, I just get it trimmed every couple months.
My hair is thick and curly, but the shorter it is the thicker it is, so I like to keep my hair long.
By No_Longer_on_DDNPremium member
On Thu Mar 15, 2007 04:53 PM
My hair is right above my booty. = )

I cut it up to my shoulders about 4 years ago, and then I grew it to about the middle of my back, and then I put layers in it, once the longest layers hit the top of my booty I started cutting it straight across until all my hair was all the same length.
hair
By hulaLauren
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 06:08 PM
my hair is right above my booty as well... i belong on a polynesian dance company, and nearly everyone has long hair reaching the entire length of their back. For competitions and performances, it is pretty customary to braid your hair in tons of braids the day prior to the event so that their hair is nice and full of volume. If you search youtube ideos of past tahiti fetes, virtually everyone competing have huge afro-like hair.

pretty interesting...
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 07:02 PM
It's funny, before doing Hula for people I have to straighten my really curly hair with some hard stuff and then do those mega-braids and then spray it down real good so it won't go and afro up.

But you mean to say, afro is GOOD? Here I am, black, and thought I had the wrong hair type for hula, LOL!
By No_Longer_on_DDNPremium member
On Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:09 PM
afro-like...lol. i like that. i know for fetes we fro it way bigger than we would for hula. it's all about the big puff!! lol.

ReplySendWatch