Forum: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Irish - Hardshoe
Dictionary of Irish Dance Moves in Hardshoe (karma: 8)  en>fr fr>en
By Kitrimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2713, member since Sun Jun 16, 2002
On Sat Mar 17, 2007 06:03 AM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2007-04-11 12:13:39

Please note that the same name might be used for another move, depending on school/teacher, hence the multiple use of names. Also, there certainly are differences in execution. This is how I have learned my stuff.

Any description is on right foot.

Treble, Rally, Shuffle, Emerly, Batter
Brush ball of front foot out front and back. Front brush
often done turned in, back brush turned out - gives the move a fancy look.

Brush, Tip
Bring front foot out to the front while hitting your ball on the floor once. Can be done backwards and forwards.

Stamp, Stomp, Bang
Bang the whole hard shoe at the ground, turned out.

Toe
Hit your tiptoe on the floor. Can be done in back and front.

Heel Kick
Hit front heel with tip of back foot.

Box
Put right heel on the floor (1), then left (2; toes remain off the floor!); click your tips together (3), then put right tip down while lifting heel off (4), same with left (5); then click heels together (6)
Can be done as 8-part-box by adding two "heel" movements.

Cross Key
Lift back leg up behind while turning your front foot in, turn front foot back out while bringing back leg back down turned out into "V" position (I. ballet position). Pull front behind, ending up in starting position with former back leg infront.

Drum, Sparks
Step on left (1), put right toe down in front (2), put front heel down (3).

Drums rolls, Rolls, Rolling Feet
Multiple drums in a row. Can be done in place or travelling. A variation is to do (1) on the back heel, not toe.

Heel Draw
Hop on right while bringing your left leg out to side (or front, or inbetween, whatever), put left heel down, follow left with right leg. Put left toe down while closing into starting position with left foot infront.

Back click
Lift your leg up in the back like your would for a toe, follow with second leg and click heels together. Come down on first leg. Also done with multiple clicks.

Long click
Same as in Soft Shoe, but with clicking heels together.

Double Click
Jump off both feet, click heels together twice or more (whatever your capable of!).

Click Cut
Start off the same way as with the long click, but instead of bringing second leg down straight, cut while landing on first leg.

Click Hop
Backwards version of the Click Cut. Lift front leg up, follow with back leg, click the heels, bring front leg back, land on second leg, then on first leg in the back.

Click walks
Like normals walking, only with every step, click your heels together. Variation - adding a hop: "down-click-hop-down".

Toe Stands
Standing on the tiptoes of your shoes.

Back Trebles
Jump off the floor, treble with back leg under lifted front leg (1-2), land on front leg (3), step on back leg (4)

Please feel free to add any other moves you can think of!

Hope this is helpful.
Kitri

31 Replies to Dictionary of Irish Dance Moves in Hardshoe

re: Dictionary of Irish Dance Moves in Hardshoe en>fr fr>en
By REDPremium member Comments: 1153, member since Sun Oct 24, 2004
On Sat Mar 17, 2007 07:11 AM
thanks! this will make trying to understanding other people on here easier!
By Kitrimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2713, member since Sun Jun 16, 2002
On Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:11 AM
*EDIT @ Long Click: Lift front leg up, jump off back leg and swing it up to front leg, kick heels while switching leg. Land on front leg, bring former back leg down infront.

Sorry, I copied this from my website which I am currently redesigning and updating. :)
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:32 AM
That's very helpful, since different schools give things different names. Some of the moves I've never done, so it is great to know what the words I see on the boards mean. Thanks!
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Mon Mar 19, 2007 03:40 PM
just wanted to add, at my dance school we call a heel draw a slide, and a long click is called a slice.

/hijack: no matter how many times i read the explaination or see the step done, i STILL do not understand a crosskey lol :?.
By ReelgoodIsder Comments: 325, member since Fri Aug 25, 2006
On Mon Mar 19, 2007 03:46 PM
sticky..

karma for you...

great post!
On Thu Mar 22, 2007 03:35 PM
^agreed. this should be a sticky.
By morgonius Comments: 23, member since Thu Dec 29, 2005
On Fri Mar 23, 2007 01:56 AM
I had the idea of an irish dancing wiki (like Wikipedia) which focusses on technique and certain moves. At the moment, I try to setup the MediaWiki properly and then do a beta test (hope so until next week, as this weekend there is class feis).
But perhaps it might be also ok to put these articles on irishdancewiki.com (@dragonseye.com), but it is more focussed on general dancing (like certain schools or organisations).
Although DDN is really great, there is the disadvantage that good articles (and knowledge) is kind of "lost" in a few weeks until s.o. finds the thread and brings it up again. With Wiki-Technology one has the ability to bundle this knowledge and offer an easy access (to read AND update information) for everyone at any time. I think it is worth to start this experiment.
On Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:40 AM
morgonius wrote:

Although DDN is really great, there is the disadvantage that good articles (and knowledge) is kind of "lost" in a few weeks until s.o. finds the thread and brings it up again.

that's why reelgoodlsder and i suggested that it should be made a sticky. that way it can't get lost.
By irishdanca4eva Comments: 98, member since Sun Apr 08, 2007
On Wed Apr 11, 2007 04:11 PM
I love heavy!! Im better at heavy than light, but I cant do drums for my life!!
By TheRustySpoon Comments: 37, member since Mon Mar 12, 2007
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 08:38 PM
thanks you for posting this it has really helped me understand the terminology! at my old school we called the steps one thing and at the new school its something completely different so now i can actually figure out what they want me to do..
By MichaelH2 Comments: 5, member since Sun Feb 25, 2007
On Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:03 PM
Actually morgonius the irishdancewiki is available for ID related information of all kinds. It's just that it's still relatively new and it's been easier for me to put information on schools online.

You or anyone else is more than welcome to start a new article with any ID information such as the dictionary of ID moves in hard shoe.

I intended for it to be a collaborative effort and while others have added various articles, it could use more input.

You don't need to register in order to add or edit information.
By dAnCin_fOoL95 Comments: 10, member since Tue Jul 24, 2007
On Sat Sep 22, 2007 09:07 PM
Edited by dAnCin_fOoL95 (183158) on 2007-09-22 21:12:49 I was not allowed to give her karma & in my comment I told her I was giving her karma.I didn't want to seem rude.
This was so helpful! You're so cool. I wish I could give u karma (whatever that means lol),but I'm not allowed,lmao.I'm helpless at some of this,but maybe ill get better.Thanks!
By audge913 Comments: 117, member since Fri Oct 05, 2007
On Fri Oct 05, 2007 05:33 PM
Very helpful!! thanks a bunch!!
also i am pretty sure that they call the drums a goosewalk at my school!! Not quite sure where that name came from!
By lilirishdancer Comments: 21, member since Wed Jan 16, 2008
On Mon Feb 11, 2008 06:12 AM
Great post this will help prevent confusion. karma!!!
By RealDealTrebler Comments: 254, member since Thu Mar 22, 2007
On Sun May 25, 2008 08:10 AM
Edited by RealDealTrebler (175776) on 2008-05-25 08:13:13 Re-read the heel draw ans understood
*Just a side note.. Malone Academy and Butler Fearon-O'Connor are not on irishdancewiki...*

Done with side note...

1. We call a long click just a click.
2. What's the cross-key? I still don't get it...
3. We call back trebles underneaths (but when saying it in the dance we say "diddely") We also sometimes end them wit a toe or do more than one in a row (without a hop in betwween.. "diddely diddely toe")
4. We call click walks Click-and-downs
5. You forgot toe walks, when you walk while doing toe stands. These can be done in place or moving.

:D
By SpiffyLlama78 Comments: 1465, member since Fri Apr 22, 2005
On Sun May 25, 2008 08:32 AM
^I think (I don't know for sure as I've never had them before) to do a cross key, you basically turn your feet in, then bring your back foot forward and when you put it down in the front, turn your feet back out. I think.

And heel draws are sometimes called Heel slides or Heel toe steps.

I think this is great! My school calls Brush tips Tip Ones, and drums down-toe-heels.
By MichaelH2 Comments: 5, member since Sun Feb 25, 2007
On Sun May 25, 2008 10:06 AM
RealDealTrebler wrote:

*Just a side note.. Malone Academy and Butler Fearon-O'Connor are not on irishdancewiki...*

Add them! :)
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2548, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:39 PM
Thanks!! This is really useful. I have seen some strange moves done, and now I know they have equally strange names!!!
By ReelJiggered Comments: 542, member since Wed Sep 03, 2008
On Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:32 PM
"Treble: Front brush often done turned in, back brush turned out - gives the move a fancy look."

Hmm... I don't think I've ever seen that before. Does anyone know a good youtube video where someone does that?

K
By flamom Comments: 95, member since Thu Feb 11, 2010
On Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:33 AM
Thanks so very much for your post. My daughter recently switched dance schools and normally picks up new steps very quickly. The language has been such a barrier that it has taken her a really long time learning the new steps. It has frustrated her a bit and I believe this post will be well received. Blessings to you for posting it.
By AussieLauramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1129, member since Sun Mar 07, 2010
On Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:21 AM
I think we call the "Cross Key" "twists" at my school... I'm pretty sure that fits the description... Good post! I changed schools a couple of years agoand found it a little harder to pick up the names, people didn't really understand what I was saying when I was showing them something. If only we had this guide :)
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:09 AM
Edited by claireyfaerie85 (220924) on 2010-03-16 09:12:14 added more content
I cross my trebles in and out, something I was taught to do, helps keep the legs crossed...
what about treble 2 3 's....a treble with the backfoot tapping once (2) then the front foot taps once (3)...
not sure about cross keys never heard of them.
We do goosesteps where we walk forward on toes with them turned out and click the heels together as we walk
By dancer8164 Comments: 76, member since Tue Apr 06, 2010
On Mon May 10, 2010 06:32 PM
double clicks are so hard!! I still cant get them down.
By Dollyd Comments: 20, member since Tue Jun 22, 2010
On Sun Nov 21, 2010 09:15 PM
Thank you for the helpful tips for dance moves in hard shoes, it's helpful.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch