Priority Dresses & Costumes

Poll: Irish / Irish - Hardshoe

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
What do you do to keep your shoes from slipping? en>fr fr>en
By Yvonnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3624, member since Sat Dec 04, 2004
On Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:42 PM

I just wondering what you do to keep your hard shoes from slipping when you dance.

25 Replies to What do you do to keep your shoes from slipping?

re: What do you do to keep your shoes from slipping? en>fr fr>en
By Stepdancer Comments: 1777, member since Sun Oct 22, 2006
On Wed Mar 21, 2007 08:23 PM
I have rubber skid pads applied to the soles of my hard shoes (the ball of the foot area, not the tips). Works like a charm.
By obsessionn101member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1547, member since Fri Apr 22, 2005
On Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:24 PM
i use duct tape and i score the bottom with scissors to create more friction
By morgonius Comments: 23, member since Thu Dec 29, 2005
On Thu Mar 22, 2007 02:40 AM
Normally my Shoes do not need anything preventing them of slipping. Only when there is really slippery floor, I use:
- water: keep it simple - just put a few drops on the sole
- cola: glues a little bit
- scrubbing cleaning powder: the best, when a stage floor ist *really* slippery; put a little bit powder on the floor and step onto it

What I cannot recommend is tape on the hardshoes - it is nearly away when I did only one step. It might be different on ghillies, but as I am male, I have not tried this.
I also tried rosin, but in my opinion this has absolutely no effect.
By Ealainmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 997, member since Fri May 19, 2006
On Thu Mar 22, 2007 04:31 AM
At my lessons, the flooring in one of the rooms upstairs is a little slippery, so I just dab some water on the soles (just the area around the ball of the foot). If I'm really desperate, I'll resort to the soft drink idea, and then wash the remnants off after the lesson.

I've never tried any kind of tape, though ... does anyone have any recommendations? :?
By Yvonnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3624, member since Sat Dec 04, 2004
On Thu Mar 22, 2007 08:18 AM
I use duct tape and it works like a charm. i lick using black tape for comp because it kind of blends in with the shoe unlike silver duct tape.

~E
By ceilibrator56member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 139, member since Wed Jan 05, 2005
On Sat Mar 24, 2007 06:26 PM
I really hate to use duct tape on my hard shoes bc the sound gets so muffled and dull. Rosin will work for a while but it gets rubbed off pretty quickly. Most of the time I dont use anything but if its reaaaally bad I'll use hockey tape because its stickier so you can use less and its thinner so the sound isn't as altered.
On my softshoes water works like a charm. Durring class you have to keep putting more on but if its for a competition and youre only dancing for like a minute it makes all the difference.
By cloggingmom Comments: 105, member since Mon Feb 26, 2007
On Sat Mar 24, 2007 07:19 PM
Hi duct tape usually works good,but it needs to be rough up a bit to get the best sound quality.
By rincerince Comments: 108, member since Sun Oct 15, 2006
On Sat Mar 24, 2007 09:58 PM
I use duct tape (if needed) on my hard shoes and I dab my foot in a little bit of water when in my soft shoes.
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2903, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Sun Mar 25, 2007 09:02 AM
I'm used to dancing on extremely slippery floors so generally competition floors are a dream to dance on, even when everyone else is falling. I've learnt to dance expressively without slipping, so I never use anything. I'd probably fall over if I did use anything!
By Spiorad Comments: 2049, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:15 AM
Normaly I use duct tape, not the black or sliver kind though as that leaves marks on the floors I just use the clear type.

But I also use hairspary. It has to be in an aresol(sp?) can and must contain alcohol as one of the main ingredients. Usually its really cheep because people dont like putting so much alcohol on their hair. But yeah just spray a little on and off you go! :)
By irishdancestar Comments: 24, member since Sun Mar 25, 2007
On Sun Mar 25, 2007 02:13 PM
i use tape and hair spray too!! sometimes in a real pinch like at a show or something ( and i forget tape) i put a little soda or something sticky on the bottom, just so i dont slip.
By andatoeheel Comments: 127, member since Sun Nov 26, 2006
On Mon Mar 26, 2007 06:12 PM
I used clear duct tape for a while, but I never really stuck to my harshoes. Now, I use black gorilla tape which stays onto my shoe and doesn't wear off easily. It works great!
By Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2374, member since Mon Oct 20, 2003
On Tue Mar 27, 2007 03:52 PM
When it's okay to scuff the floors, I use Gorilla Tape. The stuff is amazing. If scuffs aren't ok, then I use clear duct tape.
By Love2Dance7 Comments: 150, member since Wed Jun 14, 2006
On Tue Mar 27, 2007 06:14 PM
What is Gorilla tape? I have never headr of it.
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2903, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 02:49 AM
www.gorillatape.com . . .

I never heard of it either so I Googled it. Looks extremely promising.
By georgielocks Comments: 250, member since Wed Nov 15, 2006
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 03:34 AM
Tape RUINS the shoes! Not to mention the muffled noise in hard shoes and the fact that it doesn't really work very well anyway. Hairspray is usually good, or soda (not the diet kind as its the sugar that makes it sticky!). Roisin is ok, but not that easy to use. My suggestion would be to try sock glue (we haven't tried it yet, but we WILL - SOON!). It is tacky but not wet and washes off with water - what could be better?? :D

For slippery suede soles, just revive the pile with a little sandpaper or an emery board. These are relatively slip-resistant anyway, and I wouldn't recommend putting ANYTHING on them as it won't come off!! ;)
By ReelGrrl Comments: 535, member since Thu Sep 15, 2005
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 06:08 AM
Duck tape
By Spiorad Comments: 2049, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 07:33 AM
georgielocks tape ruins the shoes? Really? Most everyone in my dance school uses it and those who dont are the ones whod ont put anything on their shoes. As for those of us who do use tape it hasn't harmed our shoes yet.

I know that it can be bad for the shoes if you start putting layers and layers of tape on them with out taking the first layer off. Is this what you mean?
By holly_irishdance Comments: 1152, member since Wed Jul 26, 2006
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 05:03 PM
As long as you replace the duct tape on youre heavy shoes after every time you dance it it fine! I use duct tape on my heavies and ater or hairspray on my lights!

:) xxhollyxx :)
By ceilibrator56member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 139, member since Wed Jan 05, 2005
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 09:03 PM
Ive seen shoes get ruined if the tape sticks on the leather. Someone broke their buckle on their hardshoe so they just taped it on around the ankle and when they took it off, the leather was all discolored and like ripped up. Other than that I cant imagine why putting duct tape on your tips would ruin your shoes.
By Irish_Dancer_Liz Comments: 171, member since Thu Apr 05, 2007
On Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:56 AM
I use Rosin to make my shoes less slippery. It works really really good, its the best anti-slippery method I know. My floor at home is slippery like hell but with rosin its heaven! It does get rubbed off very quickly. I rub new rosin on every time im in hardshoe but I don't really mind it, it has become as usual as tying laces :)

my teacher says water works well aswell but mostly for boys reel shoes and not for hardshoe tips.
By HollieErin Comments: 3407, member since Tue Feb 19, 2002
On Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:06 PM
Sandpaper and hairspray. Especailly when shoes are new. Take a larger grit (not a fine grit, that will cause more slippage) sandpaper and give it a few swipes going everywhich way. It just takes the polish off the tips and adds some friction.

Hairspray, one squirt each shoes, no more slipping. It also works on highheels!
By eircomc10 Comments: 52, member since Fri Apr 06, 2007
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 04:56 AM
I use hair spray!
By eircomc10 Comments: 52, member since Fri Apr 06, 2007
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 04:58 AM
I use hair spary.This may sound silly but a world champion told my mum that it was very good and she was right
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch