Poll: Folk / Belly Dance

How much belly dance training have you had?
By shira Comments: 1051, member since Wed Jul 03, 2002
On Tue Mar 27, 2007 01:22 PM

I'm curious, how much belly dance training have folks here on dance.net had? Have you studied with live instructors or only by video?

22 Replies to How much belly dance training have you had?

Thanks for the votes so far!
By shira Comments: 1051, member since Wed Jul 03, 2002
On Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:27 AM
I'd like to thank those of you who have voted so far! I'm looking forward to seeing what the trends look like as additional votes come in!

I find it interesting to see what the demographics are of various boards on the Internet. And in particular, it's fun to know how much belly dance experience folks have had.
re: How much belly dance training have you had?
By daisydance Comments: 89, member since Tue Feb 15, 2005
On Sun Apr 22, 2007 09:50 PM
Unfortunately, I've had less than a year of live classes, other than that, I've only been able to use DVDs. I had a teacher a few months ago that was okay for the time-being, but then she got arrested for allegedly shooting her husband (crazy, I know). And there really aren't any other teachers in my immediate area. I could travel to the closest major city to me, but I just don't have the time right now. So I guess I'll just stick to DVDs for now, but I don't think I'll ever be able to get very far in my dancing that way. I miss having the structure and feedback that a live class offers.
By Dance_Pixie Comments: 86, member since Sat Jun 09, 2007
On Mon Jun 11, 2007 08:50 AM
My studio's main dance type is bellydance, but I've never really drifted into that area. I'm always too busy with my Irish, tap, and jazz/hiphop classes. We recently formed a performance group in which we learn how to do many different types of dance (ballet, bellydance, cheer dance, clog, hiphop, Irish step, jazz, lyrical, tap, etc) and that's the only exposure I've had to bellydance. I like it though, it's very interesting to work with and the body coordination required is intense.
By NOVA0 Comments: 149, member since Tue Jul 26, 2005
On Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:23 AM
I have had about five years of belly dance training. I have also had years of experience in other dance forms though. I love and enjoy almost all forms dancing.

I'm sorry to here that you couldn't continue to learn to dance in a class setting dasydance. Keep looking. Keep continuing your practice at home that way when you do find a class again you won't feel like your starting over again. you'll keep your muscles in tune with the type of movement that is required from them for this type of dance. It's always best to learn dancing in a class setting. You get corrections from the teacher that helps you improve as a dancer. Don't give up though. If your love it enough you'll find a way.
By daisydance Comments: 89, member since Tue Feb 15, 2005
On Tue Jun 12, 2007 03:39 PM
Thanks Nova. I understand that having a teacher is better, but there's just really nothing available in my town, and I'm always checking! Once I get the time, I may start traveling to Austin to work with a teacher there, at least occasionally for "tune ups." But that will have to wait until I have the time and money!
By Tashenubast Comments: 1, member since Sun Jun 17, 2007
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 09:03 AM
I have actually only taken one class and a bunch of workshops.

I have been belly dancing since i was a little girl. I was taught by my grandma and aunts.
By humboldtsweetie3 Comments: 142, member since Sat Jun 11, 2005
On Sun Jun 24, 2007 04:38 PM
im in the 1-3 year category...thanks for posting this!!!
On Thu Jun 28, 2007 03:16 PM
daisydance, Just keep on doing what you're doing. Keep watching and practicing to your DVDs. You're on the right track. Get your fine tuning with the teacher as you've planned. I pray that something will come along for you. You are making the effort to do what you can the rest is up to the cosmos.

Best Of Luck And Best Wishes!

- NOVA ;)
By Roisinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5199, member since Mon Mar 03, 2003
On Wed Jul 04, 2007 09:54 AM
None at all, but I'd love to start! I heard there's even classes really close to where I live, but they're at the same time I have classes. :( Next time!
On Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:22 AM
Don't you just hate that Roisin. I can relate to that. It always makes me go "NOOOOO!, Why can't it be another day or at another time of the day? Blast it!" I want to learn Hawaiian/Tahitian/Polynesian Dance but the timing just hasn't worked out yet. Like I said it's either on the same day and time I do one of my other dances or I know I won't make it to my next class on time. You know how important it is to be on time. It's always so hard to choose between loves. Isn't it?
By pheebs17member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 530, member since Thu Dec 07, 2006
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 02:41 PM
Ive only had 1 live class, but I love it, the woman might do some special classes at my studio and im so excited!
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:43 PM
I've had about 2 years of live classes (for the last few months, two classes a week as opposed to one), plus the odd DVD here and there.
By Netkim Comments: 22, member since Mon Sep 15, 2003
On Thu Jun 05, 2008 07:39 PM
Nearly two years.
By JimBoz Comments: 145, member since Tue Nov 04, 2003
On Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:54 AM
Umm...15 years, study/train/mentor/workshops/classes/etc from 78 different instructors from all around the world (and classes *taken* around the world since I travel to take classes too).

Most recently did a few weeks of private lessons (and costume shopping) in Cairo. I
By bailarina12 Comments: 131, member since Sat May 28, 2005
On Sun Aug 10, 2008 01:40 PM
2 year of live classes with 2 different teachers and in different countries. This year, I came back to my town where there is no bellydance classes so I decided to teach, just for begginers. As I don´t want to be stuck, I bought many videos, books, and I´m going to all the workshops I can. Before bellydancing I used to dance "Clasical spanish" (mixture between Ballet and flamenco). I find very important having had classes of ballet before bellydancing, I think is helpfull for getting a good posture, coordination, etc...
By iDANCE3 Comments: 18, member since Sun Aug 03, 2008
On Sun Aug 10, 2008 03:57 PM
None at all. I dont really like belly dancing

bye,
iDANCE3
By humboldtsweetie3 Comments: 142, member since Sat Jun 11, 2005
On Mon Aug 25, 2008 05:14 PM
i have had about 4 years of live instructor training with a wonderful teacher! yala! and i have been in a performane group now for about a year and a half. wouldnt trade it for the world!
By MeiMei_Amaya Comments: 50, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Thu Jul 29, 2010 08:42 AM
The first time I attended belly dance classes, it was for 8 weeks. It was a special class focussing on basics :) I am waiting for a new training course, now, but my schedule gives me a lot of trouble <___< Actually I like to do some dancing after a day full of university stuff :)
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:46 PM
I tried a couple of belly-dancing videos some years ago. It was fun. Maybe someday I'll take some classes. There are so many types of dance I've never tried! I'd love to learn Bollywood, too. It's simply a question of having enough time and money. Ballet is always my first priority.
By tingting Comments: 5, member since Sun May 23, 2010
On Tue Aug 31, 2010 08:06 PM
One year of live class.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Sun Sep 19, 2010 07:11 PM
I've done 1 video. Quite sad, really. But a live class would be so awesome.
By Melpomene Comments: 1230, member since Sun Jan 30, 2011
On Mon Nov 21, 2011 02:16 PM
I've done 3-4 years worth couple years ago with a wonderful instructor. I actually performed a couple of times, much to my prior suprise! It was just a pity, since the litte studio had to close down for financial reasons - Price of rent went up way too high and the owner, who was also my instructor, couldn't keep up. Ourside family troubles weren't helping the situation either - it was such a charming place too.

I hadn't done any bellydancing since, yet it was a nice experience at the time. Ballet is my true love, but I'll probably try it out again at some point in my lifetime. Really relaxing yet lively altogether, and it was fun learning how to balance candles/swords on your head and dancing with long flowing veils. Additionally, it was interesting learning the different styles.

ReplySendWatch