Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

Can Someone Please Break This Move Down For Me?
By dust2dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 28, 2007 08:36 PM

Hi there!

Heres how it is: I am helping to choreographing a solo dance for myself at my studio (The teachers let me help choreograph some of the dances). I like watching RG videos on YouTube to motivate me to stretch more, and i came across one with a really cool move in it: (Btw, the video itself is UBER awsome!)

www.youtube.com . . .

It is shown at 2:03 - 2:31 - 2:38 - and 2:43

I would like to incorporate it or something like it into my dance. I know from watching it requires a pretty good amount of back flexibility; i'm pretty flexible in that region and am now working on it religiously (i started working it last week to improve my arabesque) and my dance doesnt debut until this summer. It also requrires a fair amount of leg flexibility wich i have and am also working religiously.

The problem is that its a bit hard to see what they are acutally doing, can someone please break down the move for me? Thanks in advace!

8 Replies to Can Someone Please Break This Move Down For Me?

re: Can Someone Please Break This Move Down For Me?
By birthdaycake
On Fri Mar 30, 2007 03:26 PM
she is basically pushing into a bridge. i know the move, but i cant explain it without some sort of diagram. I can draw or demostrate this is steps for you if you are still interested.
On Fri Mar 30, 2007 08:18 PM
^ That would be wonderful, thank you!
By GymLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 07, 2007 04:52 AM
first of all: can you do a walkover? can you also do it on one hand?

It's basically a walkover on one hand starting of on your knee. They do pull it a bit sidewards though. Instead of putting their weight straight over their shoulder they are pulling it sidewards over. (that's the best explanation I can give you).

I would first practise normal walkovers, then walkovers on one hand (both sides) and then I would try sitting one knee and one hand and kicking my leg and weight over. doing it sidewards instead of straight forward makes it a bit easier imo.
On Sun Apr 08, 2007 05:19 AM
Kabaeva also does it around 0.20sec's and you see a look from up front (she catches the hoop with her free leg).
Maybe this angle will make you understand it better?
By birthdaycake
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:06 AM
sorry that i haven't gotten back to this sooner. I've had too much school work and as a result of that i haven't been able to create any images to explain this. I'll try this using only words, however, i'll probably just confuse you. Like GymLover said you need to be able to do a front walkover for this move. You also need to have a good backbend meaning that you can get your shoulders over you hands far enough.

What you need to do is start on your knees and reach your arm out. but you need to push against and away from the ground into a backbend. going from your knees to pivoting over your arm into a bridge and from that bridge continue pivoting in the same direction to end on your knees again.

Next what you need to do is do the same movement while you push your shoulders over your wrists far enough so that you can do it without having your feet on the floor. You really need to arch a lot. then once you can do that you're free to play around with it and finish the move half way through and step out of it half way into a front walkover.

hope i didn't confuse you too much.
re: Can Someone Please Break This Move Down For Me? (karma: 1)
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:23 PM
this is a slowmotion of Alina's walkover (she does put her second hand in) maybe that's something for you as well to first try it like this after a while you'll get more confident and might be able to do it on one hand as well.

Image hotlink - 'http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/9342/alinawalkoverax7.gif'

You do also need some strength to kick those legs over it's not that easy from a kneeling position.
On Wed Apr 11, 2007 05:44 AM
Thank you guys so much! I've nearly got it down (man does that take some leg muscle!). Hopefully i'll have it by this summer. Thanks again, you guys are great!
By gymmer_91
On Sat Apr 14, 2007 08:55 AM
omg i was going to post this question for a really long time, but i always didnt know how to phrase it! thanks fo posting it first dust2dust!

ReplySendWatch