Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Beauty
Mascara 101 (karma: 17)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Apr 02, 2007 08:10 PM
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2007-04-02 20:11:11 did that work?
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2007-04-02 20:11:39 that's where it was!
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2007-04-10 22:21:54

Mascara 101: All The Things You Need To Know

The Basics:

Mascara is a cosmetic used to darken, thicken and define eyelashes. Mascara comes in three forms: liquid, cake and cream. It also comes in many formulas, tints and colors. The general purpose of mascara is to emphasize, thicken, lengthen, and define lashes. Mascara is available with tube and wand applicators. Ingredients in mascara include water, wax thickeners, film-formers and preservatives. Mascara brushes can be straight or curved, to curl eye lashes, with fine or thick bristles. Some mascara wands contain rayon or nylon fibers to lengthen eyelashes.

The History:

The first mascara product was invented by Eugene Rimmel in the 19th century. The word "rimmel" still means "mascara" in several languages, including French and Italian.

The word mascara derives from the Italian maschera, which means "mask". Modern mascara was created in 1913 by a chemist named T. L. Williams for his sister, Mabel. This early mascara was made from coal dust mixed with Vaseline petroleum jelly. The product was a success with Mabel, and Williams began to sell his new product through the mail. His company Maybelline, a combination of his sister's name and Vaseline, eventually became a leading cosmetics company.

Mascara was available only in cake form, and was composed of colorants and carnauba wax. Users wet a brush and rubbed it over the cake, then applied it to the eyes. The modern tube and wand applicator did not appear until 1957, when it was introduced by and founded by Helena Rubinstein.

Details:

Mascara may be used on all eyelashes, from inner to outer corners. The mascara wand is dipped into a clean tube of mascara, applied close to the base of the lashes and worked out to the tips. They have made new mascara wands that are of made plastic and can be cleaned. Mascara can be applied to the top eyelashes for a 'heavy-lidded' look, or to the bottom lashes to widen the eyes. It is usually applied to curled lashes and may be preceded by a lash primer. The moisture in some mascaras and primers can cause lashes to uncurl during application, which is easily solved by using a drier, waterproof mascara. Waterproof mascara is popular for this purpose, as well as its tendency to 'clump' less; however, it is more difficult to remove.

Mascara that contains nylon fibers can give lashes a fuller and longer appearance because it clings to the lashes like mini extensions. Pro-vitamin B5 in mascara acts as a conditioner for lashes, giving them a softer and more natural feel.

Tips And Tricks:

<b>Tip #1:</b> How to use a lash comb. For some, lash combs are simply too fussy. But for some makeup artists, they're a great invention and keep lashes glob-free and perfectly separated. So how to use? Apply mascara at the lash base. Then wiggle the lash comb through to the tips of your lashes. Not into the lash comb? Get rid of clumbs without them by removing excess mascara from the wand. Wipe wand on tissue, this eliminates blobs BEFORE you start.

<b>Tip #2:</b> Try a clean mascara wand. Sweep a clean, fresh mascara wand through lashes when they're wet. Don't worry, you don't have to buy them.

When you finish a mascara, clean the wand in a capful of eye makeup remover, then wash with soap and dry. Keep it clean by washing it whenever you wash your makeup tools.

<b>Tip #3:</b> Don't shy away from colored mascara. Basic mascara rules are simple: Black works for everyone but can be harsh on blondes. Blondes should opt for brown/black by day and reserve black for night. Blue mascara, however, can brighten blue eyes while purple mascara makes brown eyes pop. The most popular mascara sold in the US is Maybelline Great Lash mascara, a great buy at under $6. The company estimates one tube is sold every 1.6 seconds in the U.S.

<b># Tip 4:</b> When applying mascara, wiggle the wand at the base of the lashes. It's the mascara placed near the roots (not the tips) that gives the illusion of length.

<b># Tip #5:</b> Thin, short brushes are best. A thinner brush allows you to get into the corner of eyes. Short brushes give you more control.

<b># Tip #6:</b> Give a few coats to the edges by blinking. Blink onto the brush to give ends an extra coat.

<b># Tip #7:</b> Powder under the eye before applying mascara. Sometimes mascara smudges because it's attracted to oily concealer or eye creams.

<b># Tip #8:</b> Use an eyelash curler Curling lashes gives eyes the appearance of being wider and brighter. Shoot warm air from your blowdryer on the mascara curler for 3-5 seconds to warm it up before curling lashes. Touch it first to make sure it's not too hot. It's a myth that you have to curl lashes before you apply mascara. You can curl lashes after mascara application, just make sure the mascara is dry first. Shu Uemura makes the most popular eyelash curler on the market ($18-$22).

<b># Tip #9:</b> Zig-zag the wand. Zig-zagging the wand back and forth during application helps cut down clumps.

<b># Tip #10:</b> For a dramatic look, apply mascara only to the upper lashes. To make eyes seem wider, apply to the bottom, too. But make sure you give lashes a light touch. Not great at getting those bottom lashes? Try putting a tissue under them before application.

<b># Tip #11:</b> Use a mascara primer. Primers coat lashes and separate them before you apply mascara. Makeup artists swear by mascara primer. I tried it and like it, but because it's an added step, I usually use primer only on special occasion when I spend more time on my makeup.

<b># Tip #12:</b> Want that 2nd coat? Just make sure to do it before the first coat dries, otherwise you'll get clumps.

<b># Tip #13:</b> Do NOT pump wand in and out of the tube. This only introduces air into the tube, which will cause your mascara to dry out sooner than it should.

<b># Tip #14:</b> Another smudge-proof tip -- bend the wand. A top makeup artist once gave his secret to his steady hand: he always bends his wand at a right angle.

<b># Tip #15:</b> Wait five seconds before blinking. You don't want to paint your lids, do you?

How Do I Apply It?

<b>STEP 1:</b> Consider the types of mascara and select one appropriate for your lashes and the occasion. You have a choice of lengthening, thickening, long-wearing, conditioning and waterproof formulas, among others. For day, you might decide to add length, while a night on the town may require a long-wearing or thickening formula.

<b>STEP 2:</b> Select a color. If you have blond or red lashes, opt for brown mascara. Darker-lashed women can consider brown for a casual look, and black or brown-black for more pronounced or dramatic lashes.

<b>STEP 3:</b> Curl your lashes with an eyelash curler, if desired, and apply all other eye makeup prior to your mascara.

<b>STEP 4:</b> Remove the wand from the tube in one pull. Pumping the mascara will push air into the tube, potentially drying out the formula and introducing bacteria into it.

<b>STEP 5:</b> Begin with the underside of your upper lashes, moving the brush slowly upward toward the tips of your lashes. Always hold the wand parallel to your eyelid. Roll the brush slowly on the upward stroke to promote separation of the lashes.

<b>STEP 6:</b> Allow the first coat of mascara to dry before applying the second coat in the same manner.

<b>STEP 7:</b> Use an eyelash comb to separate the wet lashes. Also blot the lashes with tissue paper if necessary to remove excess mascara.

<b>STEP 8:</b> Use less mascara for the lower lashes. Begin where the lashes meet the rim of the lower eyelid, and gently stroke downward.

<b>STEP 9:</b> Remove any stray mascara around the eye with a cotton swab dipped in a small amount of eye makeup remover.

Ok, so I got the mascara on, so how do I get it off?:

If you think about it, the use of eyemake removers cause you to wipe at the eye area and you don't want to do this. It causes sagging and you already know how delicate this skin is. Instead, use a cleanser that will remove it.

I don’t think you covered it all. Got anything else I need to know?

<b>My lashes are falling out! What does this mean?</b>

Normally, it is perfectly natural for a few lashes to fall out but if it is accessive, you might be doing something wrong. You MUST be gentle when you remove your mascara. Never wipe or pull at the lashes. It is also a good idea to pay attention to how much mascara you use. The more you use, the harder it is to remove and the wear and tear on delicate lashes can cause them to fall out.

Try to avoid waterproof mascara as they are the hardest to remove. Even your pillow maybe at fault for falling lashes. You could be allergic to the filling, causing your eyes to swell and damage to the lash area.

<b>Are eyelash curlers harmful?</b>

Everyone has used them, myself included but its best not to get into this habit. The eyelash curler bends them into a severe angle that is not natural, not to mention the possibility of breaking or pulling them out. If you are going to use them, be sure that lashes are clear of any mascara. Use the best lash curler that you can find offering a thick sponge tip. Squeeze gently, hold for a few seconds and then release the pressure slowly. Gently remove from the eye area.

<b>Are all makeup formulations the same?</b>

You will find mascara that is waterproof and mascara that is water soluable. Avoid the waterproof on most occasions. It should only be used in special circumstances... like weddings or perhaps an occasional trip to the beach. It is understandable that you don't want to find yourself with black streaks running down your face but waterproof mascara is difficult to remove without tugging at the eye area.

<b>Is high price mascara any better than the low priced varieties?</b>

Not really. Regardless of the kind you choose, it should not melt, flake or clump and you cannot tell by the price of the mascara how good it is. Ask your friends for recommendations.

<b>What should I be aware of?</b>

In a word, mascara that has already started to dry out. If you find this happening, take it back for a refund or a new tube. To prevent your new tube from drying out, don't pump the wand into the mascara. This carries air down into the tube, hastening the drying out. You should also avoid choosing a brand that offers a big brush. Having a large brush means that the tube has to have a larger opening. Needless to say, this allows even more air to enter the tube. Actually, I find the big brushes are more of a hindrance than anything else making it harder to reach the lashes at the corners of your eyes.

<b>What is the best way to remove mascara?</b>

If you think about it, the use of eyemake removers cause you to wipe at the eye area and you don't want to do this. It causes sagging and you already know how delicate this skin is. Instead, use a cleanser that will remove it.

<b>What is the best way to apply?</b>

Upper Lashes: use a rolling technique starting as close to the lash line as possible and coat to the end of the lashes gently curving them upward as you go. Powder the lashes and reapply.

Bottom lashes can be a little more tricky. You have to hold the wand perpendicular to the eye and parallel to the lashes. This prevents mascara from marring below the eye. It also allows you to hit the corners of the eyes using this technique. And be sure to DO the lower lashes. It looks odd if you ignore the lower and just darken the upper lashes. On a last note, save an old brush that has been well cleaned to remove any clumps that occur and to separate lashes.

<b>Are there any dangers involved with the use of mascara?</b>

Definitely....in a word, bacteria. It is extremely important to toss out mascara after 4 months use but if there is an unusual odor coming from the tube before the throw away date, discard immediately. Bacteria contaminants found on the applicators and in the product can and have lead to severe eye damage, even blindness. Actually there are several cases on record that indicate that this isn't an isolated case or two.

<b>What causes mascara to flake?</b>

It usually means that it is too old. Throw away immediately.

<b>How do you stop your mascara from melting?</b>

There is a mascara product on the market that is perfectly clear. After you apply your mascara, seal it with this product and the melting does not occur. Actually, you can get even more mileage out of the clear mascara by using it to control ruly brows. Holds them in place nicely and is not visible.

<b>Is there a trick to using hair mascara?</b>

For short hair apply the color using small, light strokes. For long hair take a section of hair you want to highlight and apply with the provided brush from root to tip of hair. If you are looking for a more natural look, wait 5 minutes for applied color to dry, then brush hair lightly. It will blend nicely.. For maximum impact, try highlighting the tips of your hair only or highlight a section of your bangs or perhaps a section that you would like to have particulary noticed..

<b>How do you remove mascara stains?</b>

Sponge with a small amount of dry cleaning solvent and blot. OR Mix one teaspoon of a mild pH balanced detergent with a cup of lukewarm water and blot. Sponge with clean water and blot again

Sources:

Wikipedia
Beauty.about.com
EHow.com
Beautynet.co.za

46 Replies to Mascara 101

re: Mascara 101
By Tittlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2101, member since Sun Jun 19, 2005
On Mon Apr 02, 2007 08:22 PM
thin short brushes are not always best. Different brushes give different looks. For example a brush with short bristles very close together add volume, while long bristles that are farther apart add length. I agree that the shorter and thinner is easier to control and get into the corner of the eyes with, but they aren't always best depending on what your eye lashes need.

otherwise great info! I am a pro at mascara already, but I think a lot of younger girls or those with less makeup experience will find this EXTREMELY helpful!
By Incarnadinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9923, member since Thu Oct 25, 2001
On Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:30 PM
Well done T!

Ah Mascara..how I love thee.... ;)
By LuthienPremium member Comments: 3670, member since Tue May 30, 2006
On Tue Apr 03, 2007 06:33 AM
Does anyone else suddenly think mascara is a really wierd word?

Anyway...good post!

~Luthien
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8231, member since Sun Sep 18, 2005
On Tue Apr 03, 2007 07:15 AM
Mascara... *giggles*
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Tue Apr 03, 2007 07:42 AM
Thanks so much for posting this, it's incredibly helpful. I'm practically make-up illiterate (for street make-up, stage make-up I'm great at!) and i'm trying to learn now, so yay for getting mascara down! I always thought I could only wear black, but then I accidentally bought a brown one, and I really like how it looks. I'll definitely look for purple the next time I go to Target.
By LeMusiquemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4424, member since Fri Jun 23, 2006
On Tue Apr 03, 2007 02:00 PM
Um... Why isn't this a "sticky" yet? I mean, I read this like 5 times, and I felt like I completely know everything about it now thanks to Theresa! Wow, this was amazing! Some one PLEASE make this a sticky!! lol.

~MK
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8231, member since Sun Sep 18, 2005
On Tue Apr 03, 2007 02:12 PM
Never heard of purple mascara. But Ive heard of blue ones. I have brown eyes too and I never really wear purple but I think I will start because I like the color and since I have brown eyes and all...
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:58 AM
^Heck yeah. I've got insane colors as well...orange, bright blue, fuschia, pink, purple, etc. :D They're fun.

Instead of something marketed as a primer, I use clear mascara before my regular stuff...good for us cheap people. :)
By amandacdot Comments: 494, member since Tue Jun 28, 2005
On Wed Apr 04, 2007 07:27 PM
I had no idea rimmel meant mascara.

Ha. My friend was using an eyelash curler and managed to pull all her eyelashes out. She had to wear her fake ones for weeks. I had totally forgotten about that.
By Crazydancer4 Comments: 223, member since Thu Jun 22, 2006
On Wed Apr 04, 2007 08:49 PM
I love you! lol thank you so much for taking the time to post this. It was so helpful. Sticky vote!
By bunhead_chickie Comments: 63, member since Tue Apr 03, 2007
On Thu Apr 05, 2007 09:56 PM
This was helpful, thanks! I loved the history part. :)
By lilta Comments: 60, member since Sun Dec 10, 2006
On Fri Apr 06, 2007 05:35 PM
Thank you so much for spending your time doing this! =)
Could someone make this a sticky? Even though I knew much of this I found it very interesting and helpful, so why shouldn't others. Especially those new to makeup ;]
By studiorouge Comments: 50, member since Mon Mar 19, 2007
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 08:54 PM
I'm a makeup junkie so I love to read anything about makeup. Thank-you for taking the time to post the info.
By balletslipper Comments: 2594, member since Sat Sep 22, 2001
On Tue Apr 17, 2007 04:54 AM
Great advice. One thing though, as someone who uses mascara once every 3 weeks, the idea of throwing ti away after 4mos does not sit very well. I thimk that your hands are clean and the wand does not go anywhere that it should not as is kept clean it shold be fine. Obviously if your masscara is from 1997 maybe its time for a new one but I have used to same tube for years in end and its not not irritating and not too flaky (I saay not too because it has been less than stellar from the get go).
And I totally agree with the whol use mascara to siut your colouring. I don't know if they make good ones in auburn anywhere but brown is always better if your fair skinned.
By RhythmNSoleQT Comments: 41, member since Fri Mar 02, 2007
On Sat Apr 28, 2007 08:32 PM
Such an amazing post. I bet your eyes always look freakin amazing, ey? (i'm a canadian moose) Thanxs, ive learned tons... i wish i could give karma!!!
By Dancer_EJ Comments: 40, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Fri May 25, 2007 07:49 AM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2007-06-02 22:19:12 netspeak is against dance.net rules. You must spell out all words when posting.
Wow....kewl post loadsa stuff i never new b4 but now i dooo.... hehe!!!! xxxx
By Dancer_EJ Comments: 40, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Fri May 25, 2007 07:50 AM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2007-06-02 22:18:52 netspeak is against dance.net rules. You must spell out all words when posting.
Wow....kewl post loadsa stuff i never new b4 but now i dooo.... hehe!!!! xxxx
By BecksyDancer_x Comments: 61, member since Fri May 25, 2007
On Sat May 26, 2007 04:22 AM
That's really helpful! Thanks!
By PointeOfNoReturn Comments: 24, member since Sat Jun 02, 2007
On Sat Jun 02, 2007 07:40 AM
That's very interesting. >.
By dancemegxo Comments: 72, member since Sun May 27, 2007
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 09:08 PM
this is definitely useful i usually have to use a comb even though i wipe my brush on a tissue. i used all these tricks when i went to a bat mitzvah yesterday and it definitely helped!!!
By born_to_dance_x Comments: 527, member since Sun Oct 30, 2005
On Sun Jul 15, 2007 05:58 AM
Very Helpful Post :) x x
By born_to_dance_x Comments: 527, member since Sun Oct 30, 2005
On Sun Jul 15, 2007 05:58 AM
Very Helpful Post :) x x
By jesusfreak45 Comments: 111, member since Mon Apr 02, 2007
On Sun Jul 15, 2007 08:34 PM
very good and helpfull post
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Tue Jul 17, 2007 07:20 PM
One thing though, as someone who uses mascara once every 3 weeks, the idea of throwing ti away after 4mos does not sit very well. I thimk that your hands are clean and the wand does not go anywhere that it should not as is kept clean it shold be fine. Obviously if your masscara is from 1997 maybe its time for a new one but I have used to same tube for years in end and its not not irritating and not too flaky (I saay not too because it has been less than stellar from the get go).
It doesn't matter how often you use the mascara. You should still really throw it out after 3 months, six at the latest. The minute you open a tube of mascara and pull out the wand, you are introducing it to bacteria, especially when you replace the wand (this is why we don't share eye make-up). Even if you aren't using it every day, the bacteria in the mascara is growing and you really dont want to put that on your lashes. That is why I always buy cheap mascara that still works. My favorite is Maybeline volume express. It's awsome.

Also, it's actually better to curl your lashes after you put on your mascara, not before. Just make sure it is dried. You want to make sure to curl it starting at the root of your lashes and pinching the curler, then unpinching and moving up, etc. until you reach the tip. Don't hold it too long or you will end up with one big crease in your lashes.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch