Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 4 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Everything you want to know about Bare Escentuals (many pictures included)!!
By Staceymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4618, member since Tue Jun 04, 2002
On Wed Nov 28, 2007 08:44 PM
Where can I buy a starter kit in Ontario Canada? I live near Toronto.
re: Everything you want to know about Bare Escentuals (many pictures included)!!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Nov 28, 2007 09:03 PM
I have the diamond kit too. I'll try to remember to post a picture.

^There are three Sephora stores right in Toronto:

Sephora
Bloor Street
131 Bloor Street West, CRU #I-13
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5S 1R1

Sephora
Toronto-Eaton Centre
220 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario M5B 2H1

Sephora
Yorkdale Shopping Centre
3401 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M6A 3A1

And, as always, you can order online!
By Terpsi Comments: 2045, member since Tue Oct 04, 2005
On Wed Nov 28, 2007 09:21 PM
I really, really would like the Bare Escentials starter kit for Christmas. It looks so nice and natural, but I'm worried I'll almost look too nice. I don't wear much make-up. Everyday I wear mascara, eye shadow, and eyeliner. I can go out just like that. I occasionally wear lip gloss and/or foundation. I'm a pretty natural person. I'm also in my mid-teens and I DON'T want to look too made up. Opinions?

Ashley
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Nov 28, 2007 09:48 PM
^Get it right, it's exactly what you want.

Over Thanksgiving weekend, we were at my boyfriends sisters house. I had enough time to get on some foundation, mineral veil, and some blush.

My skin looked awesome. I looked bright, and nice...but like I just had good skin. Not like I had on makeup.

t
By Terpsi Comments: 2045, member since Tue Oct 04, 2005
On Fri Nov 30, 2007 05:07 PM
Thanks, T! One more question, though... Is is appropriate for everyday use, or is it more of a "special occasions" make up?

Ashley
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Fri Nov 30, 2007 06:00 PM
^I use it every single day, and it really looks like I'm not wearing anything, just that I have really radiant skin. Seriously, it's really worth a try.

It could be both everyday/dressed up, just depends on how you use it. If I only use the foundation and mineral veil, and nothing else, it's not very glamorous. If I add some eyeliner, eyeshadow, and blush, then I can make it very special-occasion.

~Haili (new convert to BE)
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Sat Dec 01, 2007 05:03 AM
I use it everyday too... I love it much more than the MAC foundation I used to use, because it's so light, it feels like you're not wearing it at all. And you don't have to put it all over your face, it only goes where you want it to go.

I only use face stuff from BE - foundation, concealer, blush/warmth (depending on how I feel) and mineral veil. Everything else I use is MAC (eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara etc). So I can use it for everyday wear, by using a little eyeliner and mascara with it, or I can dress it up by doing my eyes all nice too.
On Sat Dec 01, 2007 09:15 AM
I use BE pretty much across the board, and I can make it anything I like. Fancy, dressed down...whatever!
By RockLee Comments: 222, member since Wed Sep 13, 2006
On Tue Jan 01, 2008 04:49 PM
I can't seem to get BE to give me awesome results like you guys! I got the starter kit a few days ago, along with the BE foundation primer (I forget the official name). I don't see how anyone can possibly get an "airbrushed" look with BE unless they already have flawless skin to begin with.

First of all (and this is weird because I have oily skin, not dry skin), even with moisturizer AND the primer (which is supposed to help prevent dry patches), the buffing of the brushes makes my skin really dry and flaky. Also, I have to use what I would consider a fair amount of foundation just to see any type of difference in my skin (using buki brush, the flawless application brush does nothing). I have an uneven skin tone, and the foundation doesn't do anything to even it out. Every time I've used the 3 main products (foundation, warmth, veil) it doesn't even look like I'm wearing make-up at all, and this is not a good thing considering I have an uneven skin tone, acne, among other skin issues. I'd be really angry if I spent almost $100 on stuff that makes me look like I just rolled out of bed and didn't bother to fix up my face at all. What is everybody's secret?! I'm applying it exactly as the how-to DVD and this thread has said.
On Thu Jan 03, 2008 04:29 PM
^Alright, I want to help you. PM me, we'll talk.

t
By ShyVioletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 963, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:31 PM
So after a long time trying to find Bare Minerals, I finally got a kit at Sephora in the San Francisco Airport on my return flight to London today/yesterday (which required me going out of security and having to be rescanned, which as a connecting passenger I wouldn't have had to do otherwise - dedicated yes? ;) ). I was sooooo anxious/excited to try it after reading all the good things on this post and seeing the fun photos. In addition to the Light starter kit, I got an extra container of Fair foundation (which doesn't come in a kit - at least not one that Sephora carries) Bisque, Clear Radiance and Well-Rested Eyes (I have really dark circles). My problem is that I have ridiculously pale skin, which is mostly dry and flaky, but which gets spotty when I'm stressed out (ie. travelling). I can never find foundation that's light enough that's moisturising without being oily and has red-blue undertones. Chanel, Clinique, Prescriptives, nothing worked well enough. So after playing the 11-hour flight, 3-hour wait in Kings Cross, and 6-hour train ride game, I finally got back to my flat to try it. Now, my skin was in a state and I looked like crap after travelling for so long, so I washed my face, moisturised and started. Wow. I am impressed with the results. For a first-time user, I got great coverage, and it doesn't look or feel cakey or heavy. I'm so happy I finally got to try it and am in awe of how easy it is.

But now, as I'm sure many of you experience, I want to try more products. :D I was really tempted by the Rose Radiance (all of the Radiances, actually) as it looked like it'd really compliment my skin tone. Or the Plum eyeshadow trio (as I think it'd look lovely with green eyes as shown on the box :) )Any suggestions?

Also, does the website do international shipping? I couldn't find it anywhere... I know you can find it at some salons in the UK, but most charge so much that it'd almost be worth braving international shipping charges... Everything I bought in San Francisco today/yesterday/whatever-day-it-is-because-I'm-jetlagged came out to about £75, which I know would have been at least twice as much had I bought it here.

I want to go home and play with my new purchases, not unpack, haha. Any suggestions on what to go for next are greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
ShyViolet

ps - T, I'm definitely going to try the foundation + moisturiser trick for concealing! Thanks for the tip!!
On Tue Jan 08, 2008 05:52 PM
The next thing I'd recommend for you is the "Beyond The Basics" or "Getting Started Complexion Enhancers" kits.

Honestly, I think the Beyond The Basics kit is the better of the two, but they're closing it out in favor of the GSCE kit, so you may have a hard time getting your hands on it.

I'd also recommend the "Getting Started With The Eyes" kit too.

I gotta think about hwere to go from there though.
On Thu Jan 10, 2008 08:19 AM
I signed up for the Escentual Eyeshadow Club today. They send out four new eyeshadows every 90 days.

Actually, they'll send me a different version of this:

www.ulta.com . . .

every 90 days. That's called the "iQuad", and I'll get a different one every 90 days, starting in April. Which means I just missed the shipment this time.

I actually hope this turns out to be a pretty cool thing. I've always been hesitant to go with the iQuads, so I hope they're cool.

t
By ShyVioletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 963, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:21 AM
Ooh, those look like fun! Do you know which shades you'll get each time around, or is it random?

Thanks for the advice on what to get next, I think I'll go with the Beyond the Basics Kit and a few other single products, and perhaps the Meet the Plums eye kit. I'm hoping to have a little extra spending money this month thanks to some issues with my flat that I should be reimbursed for by the people who rent it to me (because things like this problem are contractually their responsibility), so hopefully will be able to stock up.

Trying to deal with finding stuff is a pain: most places in the UK don't have all the products and want to charge a ridiculous price for them. For example on QVC UK, they're charging £36.36 for the Rose Gossamer and Kabuki Brush, and that'd be as if I was paying $71.10, rather than the $45 you can get it for in the US (about £23). Ridiculous. Bare Escentuals, Sephora and Ulta don't do international shipping, so I'm going to have to buy it through the US sites, have it sent to a friend there, and have her forward it to me. That, or wait until I go to Rome or Paris next. Anyone know of a shop in London or Edinburgh that carries it? The wait will be worth it though. :D

Cheers,
ShyViolet
On Thu Jan 10, 2008 09:33 PM
I think the first one you get is Meet The Browns. I've heard some people that aren't fans of the "Meet The..." sets, because they're more matte colors.

I've heard mixed things - one review of the eyeshadow club says that you get alot of different colors, which is super cool. The other review says that they were a member for a year, and only got the "Meet The..." sets. Which will be cool until I have them all, then that will get kind of old. Heh.

I actually don't have any of the "Meet The..." sets, so getting them, even in the quads, will be fun for me.

I hope this link works:

forums.delphiforums.com . . .

That's a Bare Escentuals board I participate on, and the first picture in that post is a picture of the Meet The Plums set, in action. She lined with a color that isn't in the set, but you get the idea.

The purples probably aren't anything i'd try to wear myself, but I like the sets. I'd probably go for the Greens or the Nuts. I've got very generous samples of all the colors in the Meet The Nuts kit, but I haven't pulled them out yet!

Check here for international Sephora locations:

www.sephora.com . . .

LD

t
On Fri Feb 01, 2008 08:08 PM
I played a little bit today, and thought I'd post a picture.

<b>Face:</b>
Fairly Light Foundation
Soft Focus Glee applied in "E3" pattern (forehead, cheek bones and jaw line)
Naughty, Naughty Blush
Mineral Veil

<b>Eyes</b>
2000 applied lash to brow
Azure applied right under brow bone, and smudged up
Azure dry lined, and then smudged with slightly damp Heavenly Liner Brush

Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara in Auburn

<b>Lips</b>
Nude Liner
Wearable Nude lipgloss

After the lipgloss went on, I reapplied the lip liner, and shouldn't have. It made my lips look all weird.

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/miclogger/makeup/100_0001.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/miclogger/makeup/100_0002.jpg'
By wildwoodflowermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 829, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Fri Feb 01, 2008 09:39 PM
I can't seem to get my BE to turn out as well as everyones pictures either.

I have a nearly impossible time covering up my acne without covering up all my freckles. I've resorted to using neutrogena concealer, but it looks cakey under the BE. I look a little flakey too, but I have some dry spots on my face so I guess I can live with that. I love love love that it doesn't make me break out though! (Even Almay and Clinique make me break out awfully). I don't mind that it doesn't make me look like I have makeup on, but I just don't always get that "natural but great skin" look.

I love it on good days, but on bad days it just is frustrating.

Any advice our dear BE experts?
On Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:00 PM
Blech. I gotta get back on my skin care routine - my skin looks tore up!

Anywho...

Bare Escentuals has a makeup artist named Bravon. Bravon says that the two biggest mistakes BE users make are that they don't swirl for long enough, and they don't buff long enough. So, make sure your doing both of those.

When I'm getting ready to put on my BE, I first take the Max Coverage Concealor Brush, and paint the minerals right on everything that needs extra coverage. Don't worry about buffing, just paint it right on there.

Now, get ready to do the entire face...

If your not already, you may want to switch to the Handy Buki brush, because it will give you more coverage. The Kabuki brush will also work.

Swirl. Swirl alot. Alot. Aloooot. I swirl for a count of 20. Meaning, as I swirl, I count to 20. You really want to work those minerals into the brush, and get them nice and warmed up.

Now, buff. Buff, and buff and buff. When I buff, I buff for 10 more then whatever I swirled for. So, if I swirl for 20, I buff for 30.

I then take a little extra minerals, and swirl again, and buff again, this time concentrating on any area that needs extra coverage.

I then check myself over in the mirror, and make sure nothing else needs a little extra touch up, and proceed to my color makeup!

t
By i_teach_babies Comments: 76, member since Fri Mar 08, 2002
On Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:45 AM
Has anyone ever used Raw Minerals? I've seen them advertised on the Web lately. If so, how do they compare to Bare Escentuals?? I'd like to gather some feedback before I decide to make a purchase. Thanks so much in advance!! :)
By balletpoodle6 Comments: 676, member since Wed May 16, 2007
On Mon Feb 18, 2008 07:14 PM
Now I really want to try it!! Do you know which starter kit is the best deal? I think I'm going to get mine from Ulta, but if there is one that comes with more, then I'll get that one. Also, for a first time user, which eye shadow set is the best? Great post!!
On Mon Feb 18, 2008 07:22 PM
bareescentuals.com is the best for the budget - they allow you to split your set into two payments of $29.99, so that you don't have the whole $60 slugging away at your pocket book all at once!

Their kit is a 10 piece kit, making each piece a small $6 each!

To start off on your eyes, I'd recommend the Getting Started With The Eyes collection. It's a very good, very solid collection of colors, and will really get you used to the Bare Escentuals experience!

t
By CodeRedDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 727, member since Thu Jan 03, 2008
On Tue Mar 04, 2008 09:57 AM
I'm a loyal BE user but I'm wondering...would you guys use BE on stage? I don't use anything besides BE anymore, so the thought of having to cake on foundation scares me!

Opinions?
By Tittlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2101, member since Sun Jun 19, 2005
On Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:05 AM
Yeah I haven't used BE on stage, but I definitely would. The colors are VERY concentrated, which is why you need to use so little. I would just use more of everything (blush, eyeshadow) so that it really popped on stage. And I would probably use non BE eyeliner & mascara.
On Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:27 AM
You could foil the colors, for the greater color depth that being on stage would call for.
By Jemjabella42member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1261, member since Sat Jan 08, 2005
On Mon Mar 31, 2008 04:29 PM
is it true that you can sleep in this stuff with no scary side effects?
Page:
Page 4 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch