Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 6 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Everything you want to know about Bare Escentuals (many pictures included)!!
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2096, member since Sat Oct 19, 2002
On Thu Jan 08, 2009 09:11 AM
Edited by SunshinePointe (45456) on 2009-01-08 09:16:43
Edited by SunshinePointe (45456) on 2009-01-08 09:18:05
Edited by SunshinePointe (45456) on 2009-01-08 09:22:16
Here is my experiment - it was my first experience with BE and mind you, I am NOT a makeup girl. I never wear the stuff so my technique is...well, not good. But at least I can hope to improve right?

1. Bare faced shot (which, funny enough I had to take after I put everything on because I was so excited to use the stuff I forgot the before. So the before is really the after?)
2. Another bare faced shot
3. After applying the primer, foundation (in fairly light), warmth and veil.
4. After using the eye starter kit (vanilla sugar base, peach puff on the lid, the contour shadow and the liner), pre mascara and eyelash curling I believe.
5. The finished product including a lip color and mascara in brown, both products from Sephora (I hate my lips, I always feel like a clown wearing color)
6. Another shot of the finished product.

Annnnnd bloopers?

7. Wheeeee makeup!
8. What's better than putting makeup on alone? Having a friend there to mock, er, help you!

edit: Holy messy eyebrows batman. I think I need to invest in an eyebrow brush :X

edit: I suppose I should comment on the experience too duh. I liked the BE stuff, the way it felt (which means I didn't feel like I was wearing anything). I'm not sure that it was the best example of what the stuff can do but then again I'm a total newbie so if I made any dent or change it had nothing to do with me. I think what I had the most difficulty with was trying to figure out how much to put in the lid - often I'd end up with way too much, other times way too little (or so it seemed). It will take some getting used to, and maybe I'll get adventurous at some point and use actual color on the eyes. I do like the neutrals though, although I'm not sure they really make my eyes stand out any more, I think that the mascara does that alone. I'll keep practicing.

Oh and eyeliner still scares the crap out of me.
re: Everything you want to know about Bare Escentuals (many pictures included)!!
By TwirlingMom Comments: 21, member since Sun Feb 17, 2008
On Sat Jan 17, 2009 02:22 PM
I love Bare Minerals. It is the only makeup I wear now and I used to sell MaryKay!!!!!LOL
By GrinsPremium member Comments: 3429, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Sun Feb 08, 2009 04:03 PM
Weeee I bought my very own Starter Kit the other day, and can I say how in love I am? I love it! I have been reading this thread everyday for about a week leading up my purchase, as well as combing through the website and watching the infomercial and it is so much better than I could have hoped! I cannot wait till I can build up my collection. I need to save a little bit of money though because the AUS$ isn't very high at the mo, so buying stuff online is a little pricey ;)

I bought my starter kit from a beauty salon I go to a fair bit. I got the "Light" Starter Kit and it is so lovely. The DVD really is the best idea ever: I watched it over and over and over again.

And the BEST part about all this was that one night when I went out with a couple of my girlfriends, one of the says "Are you wearing that mineral make up now because your skin looks unreal!". I hadn't even mentioned it to anyone and someone noticed :D Woo Bare Minerals!
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Mon Feb 16, 2009 06:49 AM
You can realy see a slight difference amazing
By Sweet_E99 Comments: 950, member since Fri Jan 18, 2002
On Sun Oct 04, 2009 04:59 PM
As a lurker I feel like i should give you proper props to this post! I bought BE a couple of years ago after reading this thread and have been a total convert ever since. SOO just wanted to let you know how appreciative I am for it, and your advice has probably helped tons of others who just haven't let you known .. ! Cheers
By CrazyDramaGirl88member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 370, member since Wed Jan 03, 2007
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:53 AM
Hi! I have used bare minerals off and on for a few years and, especially from looking at the pictures at the start of this thread, I know I should be getting better results. I use bisque, foundation, warmth and mineral veil. I use the concealer brush for the bique, the flawless applicator brush for the foundation, the handy buki brush for warmth and the flawless applicator brush for mineral veil. The results aren't terrible, they definately make my face look better, but they aren't as perfect as everyone else I've seen. I don't really know what I'm doing wrong, but my (lots) of red acne marks don't get covered very well, any pimples I have are just kind of masked but not really. And sometimes my skin gets flaky. Anyone have any ideas as to why this stuff just isn't working for me?!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 05:14 PM
CrazyDramaGirl88 wrote:

Hi! I have used bare minerals off and on for a few years and, especially from looking at the pictures at the start of this thread, I know I should be getting better results. I use bisque, foundation, warmth and mineral veil. I use the concealer brush for the bique, the flawless applicator brush for the foundation, the handy buki brush for warmth and the flawless applicator brush for mineral veil. The results aren't terrible, they definately make my face look better, but they aren't as perfect as everyone else I've seen. I don't really know what I'm doing wrong, but my (lots) of red acne marks don't get covered very well, any pimples I have are just kind of masked but not really. And sometimes my skin gets flaky. Anyone have any ideas as to why this stuff just isn't working for me?!

My first tip would be to get recolor matched (I find that I get better coverage with different colors), and my second advice would be to switch your brushes. The Flawless Face brush is light coverage, and the Handy Buki brush is heavy coverage. So if your using a light coverage brush, it's no wonder that your commenting that your not getting enough coverage.

The biggest mistake after that that women make is not buffing long enough. Buff for along time. 30 second, 45 seconds, even a full minute if you got it.

That should probably do it.
By CrazyDramaGirl88member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 370, member since Wed Jan 03, 2007
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 07:16 PM
I will definatly switch brushes! I check the website and did the color match thing, and it told me that I was fair ( I am using fairly light right now, one up). The only problem is that that color says it is for skin with no imperfections, which is not me.
Thanks for the advise, I will see how switching brushes goes!
By sophsterrmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1297, member since Thu Jun 23, 2005
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 01:11 AM
The starter kit is on sale for $48 at Sephora this week only and it's free shipping. I've been on the fence about getting bare minerals for a REALLY long time and I was finally convinced with this sale. In addition, my credit card (discover) offers 10% cashback on anything from Sephora and since it's the holidays, it's offering double cashback.

I can't wait to get it!
By sophsterrmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1297, member since Thu Jun 23, 2005
On Mon Nov 30, 2009 05:10 PM
I got my kit today! I'm watching the DVD to get ideas but Leslie mentions the flawless application brush and handy buki brush. The brushes that came with the kit are labeled "flawless face" and "full flawless face". It looks like flawless face = flawless application brush but what is the full flawless face? Is it the same has handy buki or is it less coverage?

I can't wait to play with my kit!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Nov 30, 2009 05:49 PM
The Full Flawless Face is sort of the Handy Buki's better filled out older sister. :) I actually feel like I get a little better coverage from it then I do the buki. That's funny that the DVD was wrong - I wonder if anyone at BE has remembered that that's not right anymore?
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 09:48 PM
So I've had Bare Minerals for about 3 weeks now and like it just fine, but I just don't see the difference made in previous posts so I have a couple of questions for you BE/BM experts.

1) I had a bout of really bad acne a while back and that left a lot of marks. I still get the occasional pimple but it's no where as bad. The foundation doesn't seem to cover it, even when I use the concealing brush. Will it be worth it to buy bisque (or I guess summer bisque in my case)? Or should I just wait until I'm done with my starter kit (medium) and get my color rematched? I'm pretty sure I'm a golden medium.

2) How much of it do you all really use? If possible, can someone take a picture of how much powder they put in the cap so I can compare? I think I'm using enough/too much at times.

3) How often/what do you all use to wash your brushes? My concealer brush feels a bit dirty already but my other brushes seem to be fine for now. I usually use cetaphil to wash my other makeup brushes. Will that be okay to use on these brushes?

I think that's it. I'm sure I'll be back if I have any other questions haha. Thanks in advance!
re: Everything you want to know about Bare Escentuals (many pictures included)!! (karma: 1)
By Tittlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2101, member since Sun Jun 19, 2005
On Sun Dec 27, 2009 06:06 PM
1) i have marks from acne too...darker pigmented spots that are very hard to cover up. sometimes i add a TINY bit of moisterizer to a little bit of foundation on the back of my hand. then mix it together so it makes a paste. i will put that on the mark first and then cover up with more foundation that is in its normal powder state and use bisque on top of that (with the concealer brush).

2) if you think you are using too much you probably are. if you think you are using too little you are probably using the right amount.

3) i wash mine every few months or so. they could probably use a washing more than that, but i find that they don't apply the makeup as well when they are freshly cleaned so i always put it off. i use warm water and Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. I think cetaphil would probably work great too. i might have to try that next time!
On Wed Feb 03, 2010 07:44 PM
While I loved the brushes and how the makeup felt on my skin, I just wasn't happy with the coverage. I went back to my powder foundation from Sephora. I finally went into a bare escentuals boutique today and got my color rematched. It turns out I should have bought the light kit instead of the medium kit. Oops. Guess my summer tan faded more quickly than I thought.

I guess I'll play with my kit a little more now that I have the bisque and see how I like it. Hopefully it all works out. If not, anyone on here want to buy my foundation so I can pay for a new one?
On Thu Feb 04, 2010 08:04 AM
Sephora's top national artist says that the top two mistakes women make with Bare Minerals is that they don't swirl long enough, and they don't buff long enough. So if you aren't getting enough coverage, I always encourage more of both. Swirl longer, buff longer. I usually do my makeup while I'm watching TV, so I buff for the length of a commercial.

I was my brushes when I start noticing poor coverage, too. I always feel like after my brushes get too dirty, I don't get very good coverage. :/
By turnmyswagon Comments: 20, member since Sat May 01, 2010
On Mon May 03, 2010 05:49 PM
Bare Escentuals was the first makeup I'd ever used as far as foundation/powder/etc. I think I was 12 when I first tried it. Anyway, now as a 19-year-old who has used just about every makeup item out there, I have to be honest when I say that I don't like Bare Escentuals. I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. I can't get any coverage with it unless I cake it on. It makes my face itch and I know that for many girls, it makes them break out. The mineral veil is awful, IMO. Very powdery-looking and made my face look almost 2D. The only product I care for out of the entire line is their all-over face colors. True Radiance is my favorite.
By RawrRose Comments: 174, member since Mon Jan 04, 2010
On Wed May 05, 2010 09:57 PM
Okay, I have a question. How long should the starter set last you? I want to get it but I don't have the money for it right now. I might get a smaller/cheaper set from amazon. This is the one I would probably be getting:

www.amazon.com . . .

It comes with 0.03 oz Original SPF 15 Foundation- 0.03 oz Matte SPF 15 Foundation- 0.03 oz Original Mineral Veil- 0.01 oz Warmth All-Over Face Color- Mini Full Flawless Face Brush. I wear make up most days but not all days. I'm wondering if you guys could give me an estimate of how long that would last me! I do plan on getting the full kit at some point. Do you think that getting this kit in the meantime is worth it?
By s2010 Comments: 5, member since Fri Jul 09, 2010
On Thu Oct 28, 2010 03:54 PM
im so going to try this stuff out i hate getting up everyday putting foundation,blush,eyepencil,mascara,lipstick,lipgloss the whole works and i know it doesnt look nice with all this make-up on but me witout makeup it something you dont want to see.just looking at pictures how natural and pretty you look im gonna buy it and try it and hopefully not looking like a person smothered in makeup that no one can see my features

tahnks so much
xxxx
By wickedangelclare Comments: 38, member since Mon Jan 16, 2012
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 03:15 AM
I love these products too and wouldnt dream of using anything else now
Page:
Page 6 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch