Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Health & Nutrition
The Ins and Outs of Eating Disorder Recovery (karma: 6)
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3200, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 05:19 PM
Edited by balletally (147405) on 2007-04-10 17:48:12 added
Edited by balletally (147405) on 2007-04-10 17:49:13
Made sticky by calypso (11968) on 2007-04-10 20:51:13
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2008-06-22 09:14:40 edited title to make it grammatically correct.

The first thing is, Congratulations!!! This is a first step onto the long and hard road to recovery, but you know you can make it! We are here to love and support you. I thought this would be a little helpful to some members. I had no clue what to expect when I went into recovery. Please feel free to add anything.

1. Types of recovery centers

Inpatient
This can take place in a variety of places
Hospitals- a hospital surrounding where you will be cared for 24-hours a day. Doctors and nurses will monitor your vitals and feedings. You will not be allowed to exercise. The main purpose of the hospital inpatient is to get you back up to a normal weight and make sure all or your vitals (heart rate, potassium, sugars, etc) are back before the next step of treatment begins. Hospitals may, unlike residential, give tube feedings if they deem necessary. Also, intravenous fluids can be administered. For binge/purging types, they will monitor when you use the restroom and it will remained locked until you get permission. A thing to get used to: Boost, a commonly used drink to boost vital minerals you have lost due to malnutrition. Doctors and nurses may seem harsh but they are there to support you. You may also see a therapist while there.

Residential-a home-like setting outside of a hospital for you to recover and learn to live again. A very structured setting that monitors your recovery. You will partake in a number of activities such as group therapy, music or art therapy, individual therapy, etc. You will be cared for by a team of nutritionists, doctors, nurses, and therapists. Take comofortable clothes, pictures, pillows, stuffed animals, and things that remind you of why you want to get better. You will probably not be allowed a cell phone or laptop. The provide payphones so get a calling cared. No magazines are allowed in many centers. No gum, diet pills, or razors. Make sure you bring your insurance cared and list of any medications you are currently taking. Most residential centers require you to stay for atleast 30 days. Most stay in residential for anywhere between 1 month to 4 months. Here is a sample schedule of what a day would be like at a residential facility

7:30-8:15 Breakfast

8:15-8:30 Post Meal

8:30-9:00 Walk

9:00-10:30 Therapy or
Assignments

10:30-12:00 Expressive

12:00-12:45 Lunch

12:45-1:10 Post Meal

1:15-2:30 Psychodrama

2:30-3:00 Snack

3:00-4:30 Experiential ED

4:30-5:30 Fitness

5:30-6:00 Free time

6:00-6:45 Dinner

6:45-7:00 Post Meal

7:30-9:15 Activity Therapy

9:30-10:00 Snack
(from mccallumplace.co . . .)

Day Treatment-like a day care facility for recovery. It can take place in a residential setting or you can commute back and forth. Your recovery would take place 5 days a week. You will attend therapy and meals will be prepared for you by nutritionists. The hours are roughly from 10:00am to 6 pm. It is like a beginning step to adjusting to life again from residential

Outpatient
This type of recovery usually takes place in a hospital setting. You will go to therapy, see a nutritionist, and see a doctor once or twice a week depending on the severity of your condition. If doctors do not see improvement in your condition they may suggest you take part in inpatient treatment.

2. Intake
I’m waiting outside for intake what should I expect
Intake can be a very scary thing, but hopefully this will prepare you. You will first meet with a doctor, who will take all of your vitals (weight, blood pressure, pulse). Next you will probably have to submit a urine sample so they can check your minerals and electrolytes. Secondly, and the least fun part, the EKG. This allows doctors to see the status of your heart. Expect a blind weight taking, you will step backwards onto the scale. You are hooked to many receptors all over your body and required to lay very still. It takes about 10 minutes. You will probably have a one on one conference with the doctor and then with your parents and the doctor to see what tests should be taken . Also, you may be required to see a therapist while in intake. Be truthful. They want to help you.

3. Treatment.
Always be honest and communicate with your team. They are here to help you. If you feel you are getting better, tell them, if you are feeling worse tell them. Expect daily weights and vitals. Avoid at all possible having to have a feeding tube. That means listen to your doctor and don't be stubborn. It doesn't make you a "good ana" to be stubborn in recovery. Lean on family and friends for support. Treatment is long and hard, but you can get better!

Some helpful websites
something-fishy.or . . .
remudaranch.co . . .
mccallumplace.co . . .
mamashealth.com . . .

35 Replies to The Ins and Outs of Eating Disorder Recovery

re: The In's and Out's of Eating Disorder Recovery
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3200, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 07:07 PM
Please don't hesitate in adding anything to make this thread better for our members.!
re: The In's and Out's of Eating Disorder Recovery (karma: 2)
By Burkegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 821, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 08:57 PM
great idea for a post! it was only a year ago that i was in inpatient, but you covered the basis fairly well. however, hospitalization is also a typical phase of recoverey for the most severe cases, so if you don't mind, i'll offer the "low-down" on what it's like. i was hospitalized or quite some time to simply stabilize myself before entering an inpatient phacility.
hospitalization- this is the point when things grow crucial. you are literally fighting for you life. there is no medication that doctors can provide you with, besides your food. like inpatient care, feeding tubes are alos an option. often times, near death cases are hospitalized for extreme malnutrition, cardiac complications, or illness, cortisy of an eating disorder. you are restricted to a bed at ALL times. you are also provided with a dietician. i was able to select my foods, and my dietician would add extra to reach my required caloric intake of like a bazillion calories. lol however, even if you REFUSE to eat your food, the doctors will get it into you one way or another (through a tube). this may appear harsh, but it's neccessary. you're on the verge of death, so nothing is extreme at this point. below is a schedual of my hospital stay at the Cleveland Clinic:
5:00am- weigh in
8:00am- breakfast
10:30am- snack
12:00pm- lunch
2:00pm- snack
5:00pm- dinner
7:30pm- snack
Also, like mentioned before, you'd better get used to BOOST. it's basically a nutritional supplement. actually, it's quite yummy! i even had the choice of pudding or the milkshake. in all honesty, once you reach a sustained mental point, you may want to keep this in your diet, do to it's optimum nutrition. being physically active to the max, it's still included in my diet. another main aspect of hospitalization is REQUIRED weight gain. the doctors are expecting you to gain .2 kilograms a day. if you fall short of this, they will simply increase your diet until this goal is met. get used to a sitter, as well. being in a detrimental state of anorexia, i had a 24 hour sitter who took my vitals every 2 hours, and constantly watched me.
once you have reached a point of life again, you will be discharged, typically onto inpatient care, if you were bad enough to be hospitalized in the first place. now, some key terms of vocabulary:
ORTHOSTASIS- an abnormal change in blood pressure or pulse of more than 1- points from sitting to sttanding.
METABOLISM- the rate at whic your body burns calories.
EKG- a heart examination
BOOST- a popular drink amongst ed patients, used as a dietary supplement.
IP- inpatient
PHP- partial hospitalization
IOP- Intensive outpatient care
Zyprexa- An anti- anxiety medication commonly used for ed
patients

I hoped that this helped, and good luck for those of you entering recovery. Your life is on the line, and it's too valuable to loose, so do your best to heal!
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 09:00 PM
Edited by balletally (147405) on 2007-04-10 21:01:22
Thanks burkegirl! I was only in hospital care for 2 days so I couldn't offer much info.
By Burkegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 821, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:09 PM
that's fine, balletally, it's just a really good idea for a post. so many people have no clue what recovery is going to bring. no matter how devastating it can be though, it's worth it once you've made it throught. and apparently, our post is a big hit, we're now a sticky! yeah! i hope that things are going better for you now. PM sometime if you feel you're struggling, because i can fall back into phases, as well. good luck everyone.
By PointeBound13 Comments: 282, member since Mon Apr 10, 2006
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:19 PM
all of that seems like...like...h-e-double hockey sticks to me. :/...good post though...but i dont think i'd ever want to have to go to any of those. why would people put themselves there in the first place on purpose?? *scary*
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:27 PM
While it is not fun, it is necessary. With a severe eatind disorder your life is on the line. The next meal can mean life or death. Its just something you have to do. And I thought it would shed some light on the process for members who are wanting to get better.
On Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:03 PM
I thought of something else to add. For you veggies out there. Most programs will let you choose for you food and will respect vegitarians, but most don't allow for a vegan diet. Because they feel they cannot provide all the nutrients you need to recover with a strict vegan diet.
By rachaelxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 60, member since Sat May 05, 2007
On Tue May 08, 2007 03:13 PM
Hey. I stayed at a hospital for about 2 months last year and it's definitely worth it if it's between staying in a hospital for a while or continuing to go on with life with an eating disorder. At the hospital I stayed at, they would have several groups every day. They were usually about an hour and were taught by the therapists at the hospital. In between the groups, we'd have around 30-40 minutes of free time. We had a TV room with games and coloring books where we would hang out a lot of the time but a lot of the girls I was with would usually take naps, read, or talk on the phone during our breaks. Since I went during the summer, our techs (the nurses that would monitor us) would take us outside so we could sit and read or talk outside.

The dietician would make a personalized meal-plan and exercise plan. We had to plan what we wanted to eat in the morning when we woke up. Every item on the menu had a number like some foods had, like, 2 carbs. On your meal plan, you had to have a certain number of carbs, for example, so you would choose what you wanted to eat so that you got all your points in. Once a week, we went down to the cafeteria to eat (if you wanted) which was a big deal because having so many options and so much freedom in what we ate was a big deal for a lot of them. They also gave us 10-30 minutes (depending on what meal/exercise plan you were on) to exercise by walking only. Once a week we also had more exercise groups like yoga or zumba.

On the weekends you can have visitors and you can eat down in the cafeteria with your family. You have therapy a couple times a week for about a half-hour at a time. In the end, it really is a good experience and I'm glad I went. I met a lot of great people and just hearing some of their stories really affected me. I was afraid to go at first but the nurses, techs, and other patients were really welcoming and encouraging. Hope I helped with what to expect in recovery! [:
By happeningfish Comments: 153, member since Sat Apr 28, 2007
On Thu Jul 19, 2007 03:23 PM
Yeah, I just wanted to add that I'm also on something-fishy.org, and the message boards there are FANTASTIC. I have never, ever met a more supportive, more responsive group of people on the net (other than dance.net of course!).

Seriously: if you're reading this because you think you have an ED, do check out that site.

Also, an eating disorder is not just anorexia or bulimia, although these are the ones that tend to get the most attention and that people understand well. There's also Binge Eating Disorder and Compulsive Overeating Disorder, as well as the rather murky "other undefined eating disorder" categorization.

Basically, if you think your relationship to food is really not "natural" or "normal", it's worth investigating.

Thanks for this sticky!!! I really get sad when I see people, most of whom are young girls, comparing themselves, restricting themselves, and making themselves miserable, when all that time they just haven't realized that they're all completely beautiful people!
By ayyyshugamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1425, member since Wed Aug 02, 2006
On Wed Jul 25, 2007 08:59 PM
Thank you so much for posting this...it is so important. I've suffered from anorexia and bulimia for years, and am still slowly recovering even thought I've technically "been in recovery" for about 3 years! Its an uphill battle...but so worth it!
Anyways, what I basically want to say is that its good to know that there are people on here willing to talk about this serious and far to common issue!
By Hdance07 Comments: 3, member since Fri Oct 27, 2006
On Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:07 PM
I suffered from bulimia and anorexia. This summer I was hospitalized and it was honestly the best thing that could have ever happend to me. Recovery never ends.. I still have three doctor appointments every week.. but the hospital visit was the best for me. I advise all of you to really seek it out if you think you need help. I promise that after you are discharged, you will be so thankful. If anyone has any questions, feel free. I'm willing to get anything out there to help anybody else out. :)
By contortionmylife Comments: 55, member since Tue Mar 13, 2007
On Fri Aug 31, 2007 08:28 PM
great post, i have never had an eating disorder thank goodness.
By InfiniteRosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 761, member since Sun Aug 19, 2007
On Thu Sep 20, 2007 08:32 PM
What is the "post meal"?
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:42 AM
Post meal is very interesting. A lot of us have a hard time dealing with the fact that we just ate over 50 calories for breakfast. So for post meal, you talk about how you feel after you have eaten. A question and answer time with nutritionists and psychologist. You are free to vent your frustration or joy.

Comment #6504549 deleted
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2007-10-11 22:46:32 this is not at all helpful to this thread!

By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 08:11 PM
Dance_is_tlife- what exactly is the point of this comment. First off, I didn't choose to develop anorexia. I was about 9 when I did and I didn't even know that it had a name.

I'm sure all of us who have been in hospitals have bad stories, I do too, but if someone needs help a hospital is the place for them to be. The fact of the matter is that people will develop eating disorders, and this post is very helpful for those who need to consider treatment. Just saying that hospitals are bad is not helpful and may frighten some people away from getting much-needed help. Hospitalizations saved my life, multiple times, and I am thankful for them.
By InfiniteRosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 761, member since Sun Aug 19, 2007
On Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:08 PM
Oye. I see... Thanks for clearing that up.
By dewdropfaery Comments: 24, member since Sat Feb 16, 2008
On Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:50 PM
this is wonderful. thank you or posting this.
By pheebs17member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 530, member since Thu Dec 07, 2006
On Thu Feb 21, 2008 05:53 PM
When I was in residential hospitalisation for 6 weeks, we spent a lot of time learning how to live outside of the facility, a lot of time was spent on healthy nutrition.

Although we all had very specialized and different plans, I was a compulsive counter, so they really steared me away from nutrition labels for a while.

Thank you for posting this Ally.

Comment #7169098 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2008-05-08 22:12:45 Replying with the same or similar comment on every thread you see is called Starfarming and is against TOS.

By Canary Comments: 3, member since Fri May 30, 2008
On Fri May 30, 2008 09:39 PM
I'm so glad that you posted this! I've been in and out of a hospital for my eating disorder for the past three years and haven't been allowed to dance because of my weight and ED-related heart problems. I'm hoping that since I'm almost to my 70% (ideal body weight) that I can start again in August once/if I reach 85%-90%.

It makes me really sad that EDs are so pervasive in the dance population, but it's true. But having a sticky like this that provides girls who may be suffering with helpful options is a GREAT idea!
By Dancingmummy Comments: 353, member since Mon Jun 09, 2008
On Wed Jun 11, 2008 01:22 PM
I am so pleased to see this thread stickied to the top! Recovery is on doubt super hard but it is well worth it. You'll feel so proud of yourself when you can move on with life without the eating disorder determining your every decision.
By Dancingmummy Comments: 353, member since Mon Jun 09, 2008
On Wed Jun 11, 2008 01:23 PM
I am so pleased to see this thread stickied to the top! Recovery is on doubt super hard but it is well worth it. You'll feel so proud of yourself when you can move on with life without the eating disorder determining your every decision.
re: The Ins and Outs of Eating Disorder Recovery
By ddncr4life Comments: 58, member since Thu May 15, 2008
On Sat Jul 05, 2008 06:52 AM
As a fellow "in recovery" I really like the title of this post. Yes dance does often have many eating disordered people, but I know that I would have struggled if I played the piano or rode horses or wrote songs. It contributes to the cause but dance does not cause anyone to be sick, and that I have come to terms with.
IT is great to see a lot of other dancers one here that are healthy enough to focus on recovery and talk about the real stuff instead of skirting around the numbers and calories. I have been in recovery for ten years now and it is not an easy road. The one thing I keep telling myself is that five years from now I do not want to be stuck in an eating disorder wasting my life. Sorry if I ramble, but as I am sure most of you are as well, I am very passionate about this subject and could go on for hours!

Thanks!
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch