Priority Dance Jobs

Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Pointe - General
Dyeing Your Pointe Shoes: A Step-By-Step Guide (karma: 16)  en>fr fr>en
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2895, member since Thu Aug 17, 2006
On Wed Apr 11, 2007 09:32 PM
Edited by alwaysonmytoes (165262) on 2007-04-11 21:41:59 Just a small aggravation. =P
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2007-04-29 16:14:06
Made unsticky by Theresa (28613) on 2008-03-30 00:25:47 added to new FAQ

Dyeing Your Pointe Shoes: A Step-By-Step Guide
Many members of Dance.net have recently inquired about dyeing pointe shoes. I was one of them. In the end, I decided to go through with it, so now I’m sharing it with you! This way, there won’t be a need for another thread asking how. I’m giving back. ;)

You will need:
*Pointe shoes (of course!)
*Fabric dye- it’s much cheaper than specialized satin dye, and it works just fine! Plus, it’s much easier to get a hold of! Available at craft stores.
*Any mix-ins required (In my case, salt and water)
*A large bowl or container
*A sponge paint brush
*Newspaper or plastic garbage bag
*Old clothes: the dye may splash and stain- that is its purpose, after all!
*GLOVES! Trust me, you will need them! I was foolish, and now my hands match my shoes! :D

NOTE: Before you proceed, I suggest verifying that you are allowed to have colored pointe shoes in class if you plan on using them. Some teachers/studios may not allow such. Also, make sure it is okay to use the workspace you have chosen, as it is a messy process!

Step 1: Mix dye with ingredients as required on packaging instructions thoroughly in the large bowl or container. Use your best judgment, because this dye is for loose fabrics. Make sure everything has dissolved!

Step 2: Prepare your workspace- make sure you’ve chosen an easily cleaned space, and make sure it is completely covered. You don’t want a permanent mess on your hands! I used my kitchen counter and covered it with a black garbage bag.

Step 3: Place your pointe shoes on your workspace. You may do so one at a time, or both at once. However you want to dye them, again using your best judgment. Ribbons and elastics can also be dyed, if you have already sewn them on and prefer not to buy them in a matching color and sew all over again!

Step 4: Pick up the sponge brush, and carefully dip it into the dye. Since it is liquid, it can be quite a splashy mess, so be sure to only have a small amount of dye on the brush at a time.

Step 5: Paint onto pointe shoes! Again, be careful. You don’t want the dye going where you don’t want it, because you can’t clean it off!

Step 6: Repeat previous steps until shoes are fully painted, or as colored as you wish them to be. It’s really quite fun- I do enjoy making a mess! :P

Step 7: Leave pointes on your workspace, so they can fully dry. First, of course, make sure this is safe. You don’t want anything happening to your preciously painted pointes! If you move them, make sure you carry them carefully and have a covered space to set them on. They will be causing messes until they dry. Since you cannot rinse the dye out, they may leave dye trails on your tights (if, of course, you dye the ribbons and elastic yourself). Be aware of this, and make sure you don’t wear them with good tights!

Step 8: Enjoy them! Wear them, flaunt them, hang them up, show them off, decorate them some more…whatever you please! Colored pointe shoes are uber fun. :D

50 Replies to Dyeing Your Pointe Shoes: A Step-By-Step Guide

re: Dyeing Your Pointe Shoes: A Step-By-Step Guide en>fr fr>en
By little_giry Comments: 411, member since Sun Aug 20, 2006
On Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:36 PM
Thanks for the instructions! I want to dye my old (dead) pointes green, I think. I would dye pointes for class, but I'm fairly sure my teacher would first have a heart attack, and then kill me. So. Just colored dead pointes for me...ah well...but thanks again for writing everything out!
re: Dyeing Your Pointe Shoes: A Step-By-Step Guide (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By enigmaticpheomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1809, member since Thu Oct 12, 2006
On Thu Apr 12, 2007 01:15 AM
Finally, something to do with my dead pointes! Thanks for posting this. =] Good tip about the gloves, too--I think the only thing worse than your teacher hating colored shoes, is your teacher hating colored hands!
"Young lady, blue hands break your line!"
"Sorry Madame, I just can't help it..."
By LoriLynn Comments: 1234, member since Wed Jan 30, 2002
On Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:30 AM
Pictures?
By irish_dancer4Himmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 532, member since Sat Jun 10, 2006
On Thu Apr 12, 2007 01:45 PM
awsome post!!! I've been trying to figure out a way to get my old pointe to be bright green lol ( GO IRELAND :P)
karma for you!!!
By DancedeKarma Comments: 937, member since Sun Dec 10, 2006
On Thu Apr 12, 2007 01:51 PM
This is great! this should become a sticky so it doesnt get lost.
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2895, member since Thu Aug 17, 2006
On Thu Apr 12, 2007 08:23 PM
I will be sure to upload before and after pictures. :D

I didn't have the patience to upload them, though I took several, because I was so excited to make this post! lol :P
On Fri Apr 13, 2007 03:24 PM
Before:
Image hotlink - 'http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/LetMeTearYouToPieces/DDN/Grishko2007andVitaminWater027.jpg'

After:
Image hotlink - 'http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g126/LetMeTearYouToPieces/DDN/Shoesies.jpg'

I did go back and touch up a few areas, using a Sharpie marker. ;)

Why black? I needed them this color for my upcoming dance rectial.
By LoriLynn Comments: 1234, member since Wed Jan 30, 2002
On Fri Apr 13, 2007 05:07 PM
They look great!
You really did a fantastic job!
By pink_pointes18 Comments: 97, member since Sat Mar 24, 2007
On Fri Apr 13, 2007 05:44 PM
Cool as!
great work karma for you! :D

pink_pointes18 xx
Dyeing Your Pointe Shoes: A Step-By-Step Guide en>fr fr>en
By FatheadEnPointe Comments: 20, member since Wed Mar 28, 2007
On Fri Apr 13, 2007 08:25 PM
Wow those look great!
This would only be for basic colors, but I just saw a pair of pointe shoes
yesterday, that someone dyed for a company performance. She used black
liquid shoe polish...the kind you can buy in the supermarket. They looked
amazing!! Unfortunately there aren't very many color choices.
On Fri Apr 13, 2007 09:22 PM
They look great!
You really did a fantastic job!

Oh, thank you! It's really so much fun...I keep going back to do touch ups! I had to paint my fingernails black because they looked quite disgusting with black dye coated underneath them. ;)
By threeforbeautymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Apr 03, 2007
On Sat Apr 14, 2007 09:04 PM
Hrm a question about this:

001. Is it okay to paint the inside of the pointe shoe the chosen colour too? Or instead of messy marks inside (if you're just decorating them not planning to wear them) can you just dye the tops?

002. How would it look, with an old DEAD pair of pointes that have yucky marks on the tops from who-knows-what, if i colour them? Would the marks show up?

003. Is there any product i can buy to make the shoes cleaner and shinier, or could i cover the shoe in a different material completely by glue to avoid dye?

Sorry if these questions are all over the place... my friend gave me a pair of her old dead pointes to decorate and since she won many-a-championship in them i am scared to wreck them!

-threeforbeauty
re: Dyeing Your Pointe Shoes: A Step-By-Step Guide (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
On Sat Apr 14, 2007 09:11 PM
Hrm a question about this:

001. Is it okay to paint the inside of the pointe shoe the chosen colour too? Or instead of messy marks inside (if you're just decorating them not planning to wear them) can you just dye the tops?

002. How would it look, with an old DEAD pair of pointes that have yucky marks on the tops from who-knows-what, if i colour them? Would the marks show up?

003. Is there any product i can buy to make the shoes cleaner and shinier, or could i cover the shoe in a different material completely by glue to avoid dye?

Sorry if these questions are all over the place... my friend gave me a pair of her old dead pointes to decorate and since she won many-a-championship in them i am scared to wreck them!

-threeforbeauty

1) I think it would be fine, to dye the inside too, if you wanted. It got all over the inside when I was only trying to dye the outside anyway, because it bleeds through. Extra dye residue gets all over my tights, but it wouldn't make a difference if you won't wear the shoes.

2) I'm not sure if the marks will show up. I got Jet Glue on my shoes, and colored over it with black Sharpie because it wouldn't dye. You can always do that, because permanent markers pretty much write on everything!, if you can match one to the color dye you use.

3) Well, I don't know about cleaning...but I know there's a sticky around here somewhere about cleaning pointe shoes. In my experience, Jet Glue wouldn't take the dye, but it's really noticable on shoes. And hard. You could look into this by testing a loose piece of satin. ;)

Good luck decorating your friend's pointes! I hope I helped you. I'm pretty much a n00b at this, though. :P
By ClinicallyMemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 167, member since Fri Jun 25, 2004
On Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:15 AM
I got the same results without the mess using a black fabric marker, and it only cost 3 dollars
By dancefreak5622 Comments: 309, member since Tue Mar 07, 2006
On Sat Apr 28, 2007 02:00 PM
KARMA KARMA KARMA KARMA KARMA
STICKY STICKY STICK STICKY STICKY!!!!

Really. Karma for you, and this should really be a sticky so I can always come back to it! :D
By DancedeKarma Comments: 937, member since Sun Dec 10, 2006
On Sat Apr 28, 2007 02:06 PM
I just dyed mine green, thanks to you! i still think this should become a sticky!
By MangoTangomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1449, member since Fri Dec 10, 2004
On Sat Apr 28, 2007 02:08 PM
This is def sticky worthy! Hopefully we won't have a ton of posts over it anymore!

Lauren
On Sat Apr 28, 2007 02:12 PM
Aw thanks, guys! :D

Green?! That is so awesome. I gots to get me some green dye!
By ballerinagrl4evamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 94, member since Sat Apr 07, 2007
On Tue May 01, 2007 12:05 PM
wont the water disform the box though?

i used spray on fabric paint on mine and it came out pretty good. (they were bright blue)

and at my old studio we used normal spray paint and that worked really good. (we used bright yellow for those)
On Tue May 01, 2007 02:48 PM
You're not dipping the shoe in the water, soaking it, or rinsing in in the water. so it's fine. In any case, I had absolutely no problems. :)
By Juniebee23 Comments: 64, member since Fri Dec 08, 2006
On Fri May 04, 2007 04:07 PM
Thanks so much for doing this! I want the kids in my class to dye their shoes red for the recital/competitions coming up. You rock!!! =]
By Dance_L0vemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 434, member since Thu Apr 19, 2007
On Tue May 08, 2007 06:40 AM
Thanks for this, you explained it all really well. It sounds so fun!
I really want to try it...

Shame i dont own a pair of pointes...
haha
By nicole_1987member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 355, member since Sun Apr 08, 2007
On Tue May 08, 2007 06:29 PM
Cool guide comes in handy!
By XxcutexballetxX Comments: 21, member since Wed Jan 31, 2007
On Sat Jun 02, 2007 05:39 PM
This is a very handy sticky. When I get my first dead pointes I will be sure to dye them and hang them on my wall.
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch