Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

I Might Be Teaching Hula Again, Soon
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 20, 2007 05:21 PM
Locked by Celebrian (127245) on 2007-05-23 05:50:52 Too Little Too Late

With the permission of my kumu, I used to teach Hula up in New York. It was a small class and it was fun.

But now, down here in this small town in Florida, a lot of the ladies have heard I used to teach it and they've been really after me to teach down here. My kumu doesn't mind if I do it again, she said she thinks it would be good for my self esteem. But my confidence is shredded after some not-so-good life experiences.

I need to build my esteem again, I guess. Comments, suggestions anyone?

3 Replies to I Might Be Teaching Hula Again, Soon

re: I Might Be Teaching Hula Again, Soon
On Fri Apr 27, 2007 06:03 PM
I guess this will turn into sort of a 'diary' of me restarting classes so I'm not dancing alone again.

I've made up the fliers already and I'm waiting for my kumu to email me the halau admission sheet. That'll be exciting. I'm looking at pa'u skirts online, because my kumu's mom is not in the mood to make them anymore. She hates running the elastic through them and says she's too old and tired to do it anymore! LOL If only I could sew...
On Wed May 09, 2007 11:11 AM
I've decided to keep my first adult class and first keiki class small, only 3-7 students per class will be allowed to learn. But around October-ish I'll accept more students.

The biggest reason for this is for now I have no studio space. And while my apartment is a nice size, big enough for the students, I have no wish to overcrowd it. By October i'm hoping maybe maybe I'll have enough money to get a real venue to make a medium-sized halau.

I sure wish I had someone to talk to about this stuff. My kumu used to teach at her house and then she rented out the auditorium/cafeteria of a school, and it was HUGE. She did her adult hula classes in a large classroom and she did the Tahitian classes and keiki Hula in that auditorum/cafe. And man, she had a LOT of students. Sometimes, I felt lost in all the shuffle. But I did get a lot of individual attention from her in the beginning.

I remember the days of being drilled in the most elementary things like kaholo and waking up the next day with burning calves and thighs just to do it all over again that afternoon. I remember her standing behind me and placing her hands on my shoulders so I wouldn't move my upper body. I remember her pushing me lower and lower to the ground while I was dancing as time went on. I remember her encouraging me to push my hips out more while dancing even though it might feel funny to me.

I remember her yelling at me all the time to smile, Smile, SMILE!!!! while I was dancing. I remember getting yelled at for sloppy arm placement and carriage and for sloppy thumbs. Haha!

Those were the days. I can't believe I'm trying to undertake doing that for students of my own, soon. My Bronx students were close to my age. But the students I'm trying to take on now will be much younger than me, and some much older than me. I think I'm scared.
On Wed May 23, 2007 05:50 AM
It's not going to happen, I don't think, until September. Too many extenuating circumstances. It's okay...okay, not really. :C

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed