Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

Once Again :(
By TAPPY2
On Sun Apr 22, 2007 05:13 PM

Once again, we went to a compeititon that does not appricate tap dancing!! Urgh, it's so frustrating! Our dances are complicated, and we do them flawlessly!!!! I just don't get. Isn't there a competition you can go do, that appricated all kinds of dancing, not just Lyrical!!!
Thanks for listening!!!

4 Replies to Once Again :(

re: Once Again :(
By tiny_dancer1member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 22, 2007 05:21 PM
I understand what you mean. Our studio has some amazing tappers and it's a big thing for us. I love to tap, though I do many other styles as well and I also get frusterated when tap is not appreciated. I don't like when people get out there and do the simplest steps in small, little, sparkly costumes and are praised. Also, when they add in a whole mess of things that aren't even tap steps. - I understand a couple of things to add varity, but tap isnt jazz with tap shoes.

hmm.. well that just turned into a little bit of a vent, sorry. But I very much a agree with you TAPPY2. But to be fair, that happens to other styles as well. I guess that's the problem with competitions.

luv tiny_dancer1
By TAPPY2
On Sun Apr 22, 2007 05:29 PM
I this past competition, there was one number where they did very simple steps and they were rewarded with a Platuim!!! We did extremly tough steps, and did them well, and we were reward with HIgh Gold! Oh well,I guess it's just one person(or judges)opinion.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Tue Apr 24, 2007 03:37 PM
I had a student do a tap solo this year. One girl's routine was mostly hip-hop without any significant tap steps. My student had all tap (no jazz or hip-hop) and scored significantly lower. I am not saying my student even deserved a platinum, but their scores were sooooooo far apart. I can't imagine what they were thinking.

It is very difficult to find qualified judges for tap! The best competition I've gone to with the best judging for my tap numbers has been JUMP.
By TAPPY2
On Tue Apr 24, 2007 03:38 PM
Aren't you with Royal Dance Works? Cause I think we were at the same competition-Encore!

ReplySendWatch