Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

What to do if you're ever taller than male PDD partner???
By dancefreak5622
On Fri Apr 27, 2007 03:08 PM

I'm not even Close to starting PDD(way too young), but I'm already almost taller than some of the late teen partners. What if I'm taller than my partner... Will that be ok? I'm not complaining, I love my height! And I know that You're never to old, young, tall, or short for ballet! Just want to know if this could ever be potentially problomatic :)

-Dancefreak

10 Replies to What to do if you're ever taller than male PDD partner???

re: What to do if you're ever taller than male PDD partner???
By LeMusiquemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 28, 2007 07:06 AM
Not most of the time.....but...sometimes, it is.

When you are taller, it makes it harder for your partner to dance with you..etc.

But..maybe, find a partner about your height..i mean...when you are ready to do this...and it will be easier for you, AND your partner.

Good Luck!

~MK
By dancefreak5622
On Sun Apr 29, 2007 06:34 AM

I think there is one guy at my studio that's one year older than me that's a bit taller than me already but he'll be gone from the studio a year before me so that leaves my last year kind of messed up!!!!!

-Dancefreak
By BalletdogPremium member
On Thu May 03, 2007 09:52 AM
I'm a guy who partners, and it's my experience that a partner's height will not make too much difference ~if~ the female is decently solid in her core, strong in her ankles, and uses good ballet technique while being partnered. I'm of average height for a guy, and I've partnered ladies as much as five inches taller than me on flat, which translates to almost a foot taller on pointe. I do have to be more mindful of not letting her start tipping off balance (because then it's more effort to bring her back to upright), but once I get used to partnering her and can pretty well keep her on balance, her height is not a significant problem.

Balletdog/Rick
By thinkpink7L7
On Wed May 09, 2007 05:43 PM
The only real problem may be finger turns. He might not be able to reach high enough for your arm to be in a full fifth during the turn.
By lilmizdancyqueen
On Fri May 11, 2007 09:01 PM
^ In that case he may have to use your wrists.
On Sat May 12, 2007 11:10 AM
^With a lady who's almost a foot taller than me when on pointe, I've always held her forearm for a "finger turn" - I guess it would actually be called a "forearm turn"...And then one day, because she had never done an actual finger turn, I stood on a chair behind her, she took my finger, and we did actual finger turns for a while... :]

Rick
By dancerdancer22member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 12, 2007 11:18 AM
I don't think it makes a difference. You will probably be taller then your partner any way because of the pointe shoes.
On Sat May 12, 2007 12:06 PM
Edited by Balletdog (120852) on 2007-05-12 12:18:25
^dancerdancer22's comment is correct. Unless a girl is at least six inches shorter than me, she will be taller than me when on pointe. I'm of average height for a guy, and about half the girls I partner are taller when on pointe...however, for finger pirouettes in particular, if the guy can reach his support arm a few inches above her head, he can finger pirouette her even if she's taller than him on pointe. Only the very tallest girls do I have to "forearm pirouette", because I'm unable to reach my arm high enough to get the tip of my downward-facing finger around six inches above her head... :D...heeheehee

Rick
By dancin_dame
On Wed May 16, 2007 05:11 PM
I'm a tall dancer, too, so I know what you mean. The only times your height would really matter is finger turns or something where your partner has to reach above your head. Otherwise, promenades or jumps(unless your partner is small and can't lift you) should be fine.
On Wed May 16, 2007 11:54 PM
Adding to dancin_dame's comment above^, the only other time I reach above the girl's head is to initiate her into an arm-accelerated whip turn. As the girl does a fouette turn motion with her working leg (moves her leg from devant to retire, as it goes from en-face to second position), I quickly bring her arm out to the side (second position) and then push her arm hard from my right side to my left side, accelerating her into a fast-turning pirouette. (The acceleration for a whip turn can also be done by the guy giving a hard turning motion through her waist/top of her hips, as she does the same fouette motion with her working leg.)

Rick

ReplySendWatch