Forum: Ballet / Costumes

Large-breasted dancers- best dance bras?
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 27, 2007 08:43 PM

Hi everyone, I realize this is a variation on an old question, but I haven't seen any good recent answers :)

I need some new bras for dance, and I've been seeing alot of different styles- Eurotard, Bodywrappers, Capezio, Gilda Marx, to name a few. I have some old ones by Bal-togs made out of a mesh that are kind of itchy. Some I'm seeing have clear bands (to me they look kindof uncomfortable) and some have underwire. Which one's have you tried, and which do you like?

(PLEASE don't start in with the "bras are tacky" nonsense. I'm a 32DD, and nobody wants to see me dance with my girls around my waist. I'm looking for bras for performance (I just wear regular sport bras for rehearsal) but I do 8 shows a week, so tape is not an option))

15 Replies to Large-breasted dancers- best dance bras?

re: Large-breasted dancers- best dance bras?
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 27, 2007 08:53 PM
I've never had a dance bra that did a darn thing- I'm a 32F and it feels like I might as well not be wearing one at all. They're just not made for girls with breasts as heavy as mine who are as narrow in the ribcage as I am. Honestly, all I was able to do while I was dancing for shows was wrap them in a stretchy bandage if the back wasn't low or try to sew cups into the costume if it was.

If you're a 32DD, you're probably going to find "dance bras" as useless as I do. I hate to be so negative, but years of trial, error, and frustration have brought me to the point of giving up on the stupid things.
By RosePremium member
On Sat Apr 28, 2007 05:01 AM
Your girlies are small compared with mine :).
I always used a good sportbra (Triumph Tri-action Workout), never something else. (this one is also a minimizer! and you can pull the backstraps really low, waist level if needed)
I painted the straps with pancake, or I sewed the bra in my costume. The choreographer never had the guts to say something about it. He new my size and had to choose: different costume so my bra wouldn't be seen, or accept my bra was visible sometimes (a little bit). But that was a luxury position for me ofcourse.

I didn't needed a bra in a tutu. Body made of firm cotton. Nothing stretchy inside. They did not move at all, wonderfull feeling! (although breathing was not relaxed)
My mother doesn't like current bras. When she was young, bras were made completely of not stretching cotton. I understand what she means. That bouncing feeling in front of you is not always what you want.
(just telling, maybe it gives you inspiration to find a solution for your problem).
By dandelionsalad
On Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:11 AM
I just wanted to reiterate what the other comments have said. I'm a 34DD, so i'm in the same boat, and none of these silly "dance bras" do a thing for me. They're just a bit too flimsy, or else the band are way too big. You're really going to have to stick with regular sports bras, or else something along the lines of what bayadere93 said. Another thing that I have actually found helpful is to wear a body tight underneath your costume. As long as what you're wearing has a good bit of support already, the body tight can really make the difference. Good luck finding something!!
On Sat Apr 28, 2007 06:14 PM
I've never really understood the body tights lol, just another set of straps to deal with! Does it work like a bra?

I can't seem to find the Triumph bra here in the US, I usually get my sports bras from Title 9, but the straps are so thick I don't know how to hide them in a strappy dance costume.
By RosePremium member
On Sun Apr 29, 2007 03:49 AM
Canada has a Triumph Tri-Action collection, but I don't know if you ever get there?
Maybe contact Canada and ask them if they have solutions?
Maybe the bras are imported by a sportshop in the USA?

The straps are thick and ofcourse people can see it, even with pancake on them, but the alternative is showing the audience how my boobs are going up and down. I prefer to show them my straps.

I learned that when designing a costume for a group, I should have the girl in mind with the most difficult body to dress. Whatever I create, it will certainly look great on the easier bodies.
Most choreographers have the most beautiful body in mind, and all the others feel uncomfortable in their costume.
When I have at least one girl in the group with cup C or more, I know I have to create a costume not showing her decent bra. That is just being wise.
Braless is only nice for cup A or B and maybe a small C.

I saw a dance with girls on points doing bourree. They were wearing pink leotards and all the breasts were shaking from here to Tokyo! The audience could not stop laughing. This is a huge choreographers mistake!
As a dancer you can warn your choreographer for this: "If we are going to wear these costumes, .... will happen and the audience will not see what you are trying to tell with this dance."

You could ask your choreographer: "In this costume you can see my bra straps, or my boobs moving. What do you prefer?" The costume is his choice and it is his responsibility how the dancers look.
And if you don't feel comfortable with his choice, you can tell him, so maybe he makes a different descision next time.

Good luck and love your girls!
By atypical_dancer
On Sun Apr 29, 2007 06:44 AM
I'm also a big breasted dancer. I searched high and low and finally found some sports bras that are cut like regular bras, with a hook in the back and non-Y straps. The LESS stretch, the better! That's why they have the hooks, if they didn't you'd never be able to wrangle yourself into them. The most recent one I bought was made by Hanes and carred at Walmart of all places but when I went for another, they didn't have any more in my size. The biggest downsize is they only carry white so it very well might still show but it's easier to hide than the Y-back models.
On Wed May 09, 2007 07:46 AM
www.dancebra.com . . .

Has anyone tried ^^^^^^^
By Colarie
On Thu May 10, 2007 03:19 AM
Woah...actually, in my country here...some of us actually don't wear bra at all. =/ There are choices sometimes, like if the leotard is not bare back or something, we will wear a tube top most of the time. But if its bare back..well, we don't wear a bra. Of course...some are used to that...but sometimes it does get not very sightly actually. I wonder how is this problem solve, if we don't want any signs of bra showing...?
By atypical_dancer
On Thu May 10, 2007 04:54 AM
For classes you must simply select a different leotard style that covers the bra. For preformances, there are sew on and stick on options if necessary, as well as backless styles.
On Thu May 10, 2007 07:03 AM
I'm looking at performance solutions, I don't really care if my bra shows during rehearsal! Going braless is simply not an option. I"m curious about the adhesives but I don't know if my skin can handle it for 5 shows a week for a long run!
By atypical_dancer
On Thu May 10, 2007 01:13 PM
Why not pick up a few adhesive types and try them out a few weeks before the performance. They're made to be worn and if you use some lotion or vaseline to loosen the adhesive, it shouldn't be that rough on your skin. Depending on how low your costume is, there are always ace bandages.
By Colarie
On Fri May 11, 2007 04:40 AM
Actually I had one that is a little low-back, but even when its a double layered, it's no difference. I was shy about that so I chose to sew on paddings. I guess no one ever did something like dat to ur leotard?
Yeps...now I like leotards that can at least be able to wear a tube top over...but as grade 6 and above, we hafta choose and design our own leotard right? But we go by our group...can I know there's one girl who would want a low back one. =/
By BALLETBARBiiE
On Tue May 29, 2007 04:18 AM
Grrr. I know i will be a bigged breasted dancer.
I am only 14 and im already 12C going on d!!!

So yeah, i like to wear skin coloured bras for leotards as for tutus i usally have them built to support or hide the bra!
By JamisonUpton
On Wed Nov 25, 2020 05:23 AM
Totally authentic recognizable getting data on is wagering critical task to help the early peruses with inspecting the bestessays review more unmistakable effectively by technique for seeing the photographs on book. Appropriately, kids are given books that have enormous photographs.
By maliknaushad
On Sun May 23, 2021 01:54 AM
Edited by maliknaushad (369957) on 2021-05-23 01:54:49
Edited by maliknaushad (369957) on 2021-05-23 01:55:35
Bosch is a world-renowned manufacturer of high quality washing machines and other home appliance appliances. Their wide range of products including Bosch Washing machine repair Dubai has made them one of the most trusted brands in the market. Bosch is a family-owned business that manufactures a variety of high tech home appliances for all types of needs. With so many different types of Bosch appliances to choose from, you will surely find what you need. Bosch Washing Machine Repair Services: Quality Conscious Customers Just like all Bosch products are made of top quality material making them durable and long lasting. They are also designed with convenience in mind. Bosch washing machine repair Dubai are provided by experts that have years of experience in the field. Most of them are general repair shops, where they handle all types of electrical and electronic appliances in the city. Some of the repairers in Dubai specialize in servicing residential buildings.

ReplySendWatch