Forum: General / Ballroom / Ballroom Videos

Ballroom Videos
Strictly Come Dancing - Semi-Final - Lesley & Anton. Opinions!
By Kerry_artymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 232, member since Wed Jun 14, 2006
On Mon Apr 30, 2007 02:58 PM

Hiya!
Woooo, I'm the first to post on this board - I feel honoured lol! :)

Just wanted your opinions on this video. I absolutely LOVE Lesley Garrett, she was my inspiration to start dancing! Don't you just love her?! Lol! Opinions please!

www.youtube.com . . .

Love xxx

7 Replies to Strictly Come Dancing - Semi-Final - Lesley & Anton. Opinions!

re: Strictly Come Dancing - Semi-Final - Lesley & Anton. Opinions! (karma: 1)
By Ballroomboy Comments: 172, member since Fri Feb 17, 2006
On Thu May 03, 2007 05:03 PM
Love it Love it Love it...

For one thing, Lesley Garret is a fantastic ambassador for ballroom dance, if only everyone that went on the show became that evangelical about it I think every school in the country would be packed inside a week!

I think it's a great Quickstep, its really light and bright for one thing, and you can see they're really really enjoying it. It's got a really nice format, all the steps in there are actually basic figures, or variations of them, with just a few little 'features' thrown in. I think that's great because you can see how great her technique actually is in this video, her use of the feet and ankles to create rise and fall is really impressive, and she's got pretty good footwork as well from the bits you can see. She's also maintaining a really great, calm topline, right the way through the dance, and it's showing off her physical fitness as well, she keeps the performance level up right the way through, instead of flagging towards the end.

It's really brave of a teacher to give a routine like that, which is really quite basic, because it requires good technique to make it work, rather than just trying to blind people with science by going super fast and just going trick, trick, trick, trick, trick.

As to the choreography, it's great! Apart from Anton's unhealthy obsession with pivots (yes, we get it, pivots are good, but he does go overboard I feel!!) there's a really great selection of basic figures, I saw chasses, Quick open reverses, lock steps as well as more advanced things like pepper pots and pendulums which gives it a really nice look. It's in quite a classical English style, which Anton does really well, and to be honest I prefer, but it does tend to lose out these days to the slightly more aggressive Russian and Italian styles in competition (in my opinion anyway).

Just my opinion anyway! Was that the sort of opinion you wanted?? I hope so cos it took me aaages to type!

Nick
re: Strictly Come Dancing - Semi-Final - Lesley & Anton. Opinions!
By Kerry_artymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 232, member since Wed Jun 14, 2006
On Fri May 04, 2007 09:16 AM
Thanks very much Nick! :)

I'm glad to see someone else has the same opinion as meeee :)

I simply do <i>love</i> her! :P

Kerry
xxx
By dancingloz2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2045, member since Mon Oct 18, 2004
On Mon May 07, 2007 01:08 PM
hiya
i agree it is a lovely quickstep, however,

i NEVER enhoyed watching her dance. i don't know what it is, i think she's just too exciteable and overbearing. I imagine if i ever met her i'd want to slap her just to calm her down a bit! lol.

i do love Anton though, i could watch him and erin ALL day. :)

xxx
Lesley & Anton
By feebles Comments: 21, member since Mon Mar 06, 2006
On Mon May 21, 2007 11:41 AM
Hi

I think she is fab. Nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm! I have just started Latin & Ballroom classes with my husband. It's really difficult and i take my hat off to anyone that can dance so well in such a short time.

Shayne
By xDancing_Divax Comments: 211, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Wed May 23, 2007 02:44 PM
aw i love her. She is just infectious! Followed her career ever since that show!

Anyways totally agree with the weird obbsession with the pivots- we get the picture they look good but seriously! I love that lock step sequence and it all looks pretty cool to me. I love that last line at the end where she is leaning back it looks gorgeous!!

Enough said!
By Sngn4cntry Comments: 22, member since Sun May 06, 2007
On Fri May 25, 2007 09:10 PM
Ok not to sound stupid or anything but what is Strictly Come Dancing???? Is that like Dancing With the Stars here in the US?
On Sat May 26, 2007 07:18 AM
Yeah :)! 'Dancing with the Stars' is the US version :) I was lucky enough to watch it when I was on holiday in Florida woo!

x x x

ReplySendWatch