Forum: Highland / Highland Dance Videos

Scottish dancing meets The Sound of Music!
By LingScot
On Tue May 01, 2007 06:29 PM

I was going to post this on the Youtube sticky, but then I realized we have a cool new "Highland Dance Video" board, so I thought I'd make use of it!

Here's a fun mixture of Scottish country dancing, highland dancing, and Scottish step dancing, all done to music from The Sound of Music, performed by the Edinburgh University New Scotland dance group. It looks like they had a blast!

www.youtube.com . . .

10 Replies to Scottish dancing meets The Sound of Music!

re: Scottish dancing meets The Sound of Music!
By ifinance
On Tue May 01, 2007 07:11 PM
That is just SO WRONG on so many levels.... just kidding, it's very creative and it looks like they had fun. It felt a little like dejavu because in 9th grade I began competing in HD and I played Mother Abbess in my school production of The Sound of Music...
By Dancing_24_7Premium member
On Tue May 01, 2007 10:21 PM
Well that was cute. That one guy had some long legs (lucky). I really liked the fullness of the dresses/full habit-y costumes...
By Katie_x
On Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 AM
Edited by Katie_x (165919) on 2007-05-02 10:40:50 Brown paper packages tied up with string!
Edited by Katie_x (165919) on 2007-05-02 10:44:41 Chocolate, marshmallows and DDN, These are a few of my favourite things!
They're my mums rival dance team, well the younger version of it. I liked it, it's quite inventive for them anyway... my mums team beat them hands down at the last competition :P

EDIT: Aww I love the 'girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes' bit. It made me laugh, I was wondering why they all had the same sashes, and why I couldn't see any tartan.

Wow the highland is awful though... I may go give them a lesson in shedding, and pointing their toes :P

EDIT: Did it confuse anybody else that there was a girl wearing all black?
By ifinance
On Wed May 02, 2007 10:49 AM
yes, I was wondering what was going on with the black outfit
By LingScot
On Wed May 02, 2007 11:05 AM
Aw, Katie_x, your mum dances with Dunedin? A great group of dancers . . . I lived in Edinburgh for a year and danced with both groups, though primarily New Scotland. :)

Not sure about the girl in black -- there are actually two of them wearing shorts and t-shirts; it could just be that their costumes didn't get there on time or something, and they just wore whatever they happened to have on anyway!

As for the highland: when I was there, it was pretty common to have people who knew NOTHING about highland dancing (or country dancing) start taking classes in the fall just for fun, and so I'm inclined to think these guys look pretty good if they only started a few months ago! And kudos to them for trying it and spreading the love of highland. :)
By Katie_x
On Wed May 02, 2007 11:40 AM
Oh no, my mum dances with RSCDS, sorry that's what I meant by 'rival'. There's a lot of compitition due to the fact they're both Edinburgh based, especially at the big competitions.

Yeah, I liked how they did some highland, or at least attempted it. At my mums show a couple years ago they did a drunken sailor routine, everyone over the age of 45 dropped out after the first class :P In the end three of them did it, it was really good. A Japenese dancer called Mikoto did the most amazing leaps I think I've ever seen!
By Cat6759
On Fri May 25, 2007 08:47 AM
Hehe, this is awesome. It would seem that everyone's got a drunken sailor routine these days...I'm also a big fan of New Scotland's "broom" dance, though not so enamoured of being suffocated with a blindfold whilst lying on the floor as a human sword! :P
By Cat6759
On Fri May 25, 2007 08:48 AM
Hehe, this is awesome. It would seem that everyone's got a drunken sailor routine these days...I'm also a big fan of New Scotland's "broom" dance, though not so enamoured of being suffocated with a blindfold whilst lying on the floor as a human sword! :P
Scottish dancing meets The Sound of Music!
By highland_tigger
On Tue May 29, 2007 03:25 PM
wow!!! it is sooo cute! amazingly coreographed and it look slike a tonnne of fun!!!
brianne
By feckledance
On Fri Jul 06, 2007 08:06 AM
My gosh that was funny ! those people look like they were haveing a all. it was obviously extremely fun to do ( as well as choreograph) it is certainly taking highland dancing into new areas :)

i just had to show my husband and even he was laughing

cheers.

ReplySendWatch