What is clogging?
By highlandSK
On Mon May 21, 2007 07:39 PM

What is clogging . Where is it from?

8 Replies to What is clogging?

re: What is clogging? (karma: 1)
By TapizoidPremium member
On Thu May 24, 2007 04:26 AM
My clogging instructor, friend, and editor of Clog Today (the official publication of clog.org wrote the following definition (which you can view here):

Clogging is an American folk dance that is similar to tap dancing. It is making rhythmic tapping sounds with the feet. Special shoes are used to emphasize the tapping sounds. These usually are soft leather shoes with hard soles and attached metal taps.

Clogging is influenced by many of the European dance forms, as well as Canadian step dancing and breakdancing. It is done to almost any kind of upbeat music. Country and traditional bluegrass music are the most popular, but cloggers today also dance to pop, rap, hip-hop, anything with a fast beat.

Clogging is becoming more and more popular. Today, workshops are held almost every weekend for cloggers, group directors, and anyone who loves to clog. Instructors from around the world teach their original clogging routines at these workshops. Clogging has become so popular that it has spread not only throughout the U.S. and Canada, but also to many countries in Europe, to Australia, and even to Japan!

Clogging is a great form of exercise as well. Here is a quick list of some of the health benefits in clogging:

helps coordination and gracefulness,
develops flexibility,
lowers blood pressure,
increases endurance and strength,
increases lung capacity,
relieves stress,
and is great for weight loss (burns around 400 calories per hour).
As you can see, clogging provides a great aerobic workout.

Many television dance shows spotlight clogging groups. The next time you tune in to watch one of these shows, look for a clogger! You never know when you might see someone clogging up a storm!

Copyright © 1997 Kelli McChesney

Clogging is the oldest American form of percussive dance. Tap "evolved" from clogging. Sort of "went Hollywood" if y'knowhatimean. Clogging remains an ever-evolving dance form, but has a few things that distinguish it from other percussive dance forms. Among them is the double toe and the classic "bitty BUMP" rhythm resembling a horse at a gallop.

I wish I had a video of the show I saw last week in Orlando to show you! The famous Baily Mountain Cloggers joined the incredible SoundStage Cloggers for a combined show that had the audience on it's feet by show's end, cheering and hootin' and hollerin' and trying to imitate the awesome dance they'd just seen.

-Robin
re: What is clogging?
By mickey123
On Sun Jun 10, 2007 04:25 PM
I've seen it once at a display & it looks really good fun. How long have you been doing it
On Mon Jun 11, 2007 05:21 AM
mickey123 wrote:

...It looks really good fun. How long have you been doing it

I wish I had started many years before I did! Been clogging about three years now. Long enough to see clogging "get funkier" and more varied, and to enjoy the "old time" hoe-down and flatfoot stuff too.

-Robin
By NHtap_dansahPremium member
On Fri Jun 22, 2007 06:41 AM
Hi All, what's the difference between clogging, flat footing and buck?
thanks in advance,
Kay
Rising Star Family Dance Ctr
Plaistow, NH
On Fri Jun 22, 2007 02:10 PM
NHtap_dansah wrote:

Hi All, what's the difference between clogging, flat footing and buck?

Hi Kay,

Flatfoot and Buck are both types of clogging. Within the clogging umbrella there are Flatfoot, Buck, Hoedown, Traditional Line, Solos, Duos, Small and Large groups, Smooth, Precision Line, A-Capella, and a few others I can't even remember. Clogging is a very broad dance form!

-Robin
On Sat Jun 23, 2007 07:54 AM
Thanks Robin! People have been asking for a clogging class and I would like to add it to our fall schedule if I can learn it over the summer. I've seen some dances where the knees come up very high almost like an Irish step and some that look like a fast tap. Is there one version/style that is easier overall to learn and teach? Any videos that you prefer?
thanks,
Kay
On Sat Jun 23, 2007 08:37 AM
Thanks Robin! People have been asking for a clogging class and I would like to add it to our fall schedule if I can learn it over the summer. I've seen some dances where the knees come up very high almost like an Irish step and some that look like a fast tap. Is there one version/style that is easier overall to learn and teach? Any videos that you prefer?
thanks,
Kay
By folkie
On Tue Jun 26, 2007 08:59 PM
We seem to get this question a lot...someone should make it a sticky thread.

ReplySendWatch