Forum: Advice / Beauty

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Beauty
Hair Dye - At Home Vs. Pros, Selecting a good color, Picking a Brand, & Just getting the job done. (karma: 9)
By SilverBellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2198, member since Sun Apr 09, 2006
On Tue May 22, 2007 10:36 PM
Made sticky by calypso (11968) on 2007-05-23 06:40:08 great post!

To dye or not to dye? It's an age-old question. Bleach-happy Ancient Greek heroes reddened their hair into a fiery symbol of courage, while their Roman counterparts used natural dyes to darken their locks. During the 1700s, French women used powder to tint their tresses shades of blue, yellow, pink and white (punk rock pioneers). Today, about half of all American women color their hair, and men are getting in on the game in record numbers.

Before dying your hair yourself, be absolutely sure that it's not something that needs to be done professionally.

# Go to the pros if:

1.Your hair is severely damaged. Hair rougher than sand paper? Could you make a wig out of the hair in your brush? Does it break easier than an Ipod? If your hair is in rough shape, your actually probably shouldn't dye it anyways. But if you insist, most definetly go to a salon. Unless of course, you intend to follow in Britney Spears'
footsteps.

2.You want to lighten your hair more than three shades. If you are a brunette and want to go blonde, get thee to a salon. Even if your hair doesn't appear to have any red tones in it, all dark hair contains some red pigment. Therefore, lightening your hair in one step will most likely turn your hair an unattractive shade of orange that hasn't been popular since the days of Queen Elizabeth I. In this case, you'll need to undergo what is known as a "double process." The first step is to "strip" the hair of its pigment. The second step is to "add" the new color of choice. It sounds complicated because it is
complicated - there's a high likelihood of orange-y results. A professional colorist can prevent this by using a toner to cancel out redness, thus providing a more attractive golden hue.

3.You think it's possible to go from Wednesday Adams to Alice in Wonderland. There's only so much hair can be lightened. Let's face it, if your hair is darker than midnight your not gonna be blending with the snow anytime soon.

4.You've already colored your hair, you screwed up, and you want to fix it. Don't stay in hiding, attempting again and again to correct your own mistake. The more chemicals you put in your hair, the worse it's going to get, and the more expensive it will be for a stylist to return you to your beautiful self.

So, now that that's covered, onto the dye!

First, you need to decide how long you want your color. If your dying your hair for the first time, it's a good idea to go with temporary at first, just incase you decide purple looks better on your troll dolls.

1.Semi-Permanent Color. Also called "stains" or "washes," semi-permanent products coat the hair with color that washes out after about 6 to 12 shampoos. You won't have any worries about your roots because the color washes out before roots can really show. However, since semi-permanent products don't contain any ammonia or peroxide, you won't be able to lighten your hair any shades, you'll only be able to add color. It is in my experience that semi-permanent color is significantly less damaging to hair than permanent, due to the lack of ammonia.

2.Demi-Permanent Color. Demi-permanent products last longer (approximately 24 to 26 shampoos) and also contain no ammonia, so again, you won't be able to lighten your hair. However, a small level of peroxide allows you to create a more noticeable color change.

3. Permanent Color. Permanent color uses both ammonia and peroxide, which enter the hair's cortex and create a change that cannot be washed out. Keep in mind that the end result is always a combination of the added pigment and the original pigment of your hair, so the dye may look different on you than, on your friend, the model on the box, or Julia Roberts. But as the name suggests, when you wash with permanent color, if you don't like it, your only options are to wait for the color to grow out or to dye over it (which, again, DEFINITELY requires a pro). Note how they say "may". Drawing from my personal experience, let me replace that with definetly

4.Highlighting. Highlights are usually permanent, and they are a great way to add texture and subtle color to your hair-whether they're red or blond or even blue-without dramatic changes. Beware that highlighting often takes a long time, as you usually have to use a pick to pull your hair through tiny holes in a plastic cap. The more hair you pull through the holes, the more dramatic the results. You can also choose a non-permanent highlighting kit, which involves painting streaks of color onto your hair with a thin brush. You'll look cute for a few days, but the results tend to be too subtle and short-lived.
Let me also throw in there that the color rule which applies to other types of dye also apply here. You will most likely NOT look the way the model does on the box. I'm willing to bet that the dye in their hair isn't even the same stuff your buying...Just my theory ;)
When highlighting hair you can use a number of tools. Combs and forks are the best, IMO. (Can't see even HOW you'd spoon dye on...hmmm...)

Guess what now? C_O_L_O_R!! w00!!

Color is generally catagorized as 'warm' or 'cool'. I know what your thinking, "Well, what am I?" Sorry, can't tell you there. But I CAN tell you how to determine for youself!
Skin golden, olive or dark? Got dark eyes? Tan well? Veins in your wrists green?
You are..............WARM!
If you have fair skin; blue, green, or just any light colored eyes; burn before tan; and your veins are blue; then your COOL!
I can hear some of you now.. "But what if I sometimes burn, but then sometimes tan?"
Check the rest of the criteria, and see what majority you fall under.

So your WARM... If you have warm skin, opt for golden shades such as caramel and bronze in a darker shade than your skin. Avoid jet-black hair which will wash you out and if you do opt for a golden shade, don't go too light or your hair could turn orange.

So your COOL... If you have cool shade, avoid colors that will highlight the ruddiness of your skin tone: Gold, auburn and copper. Ash blondes and cool browns work best.

Remember, unless your okay with something going horrible wrong, stay within a few shaded of your natural color.

Choosing a brand

1. Popular brands are usually popular for a reason. If L'oreal's hair products were known to turn hair green, you'd hear about it. But if you use the obscure "Bombshell in a Bottle," you might turn into more of a bomb than a bombshell.
Unless of course, you know from a number of reliable sources that the obscure brand is indeed fabulous. Just so long as you realize you won't get the same color as said reliable sources.

2. Popular brands usually have a help line that's listed right on the box. Although you're most likely not going to get hair experts when you call, you'll get answers to common problems you may encounter during the actual dyeing of your hair.
But then again, there's always the DDN emergency board ;)

Okay okay, your ALMOST ready to get to the dye. Personally, I skip the following step, but it's probably a good idea...

Allergy Test

The allergy test will make sure that you don't get a disgusting rash all over your scalp after you dye your hair. Perform the allergy test at least two days before you dye your hair. In a small plastic cup, mix together about a teaspoon worth of all the ingredients that you'll have to mix to dye your hair. Dermatologists suggest that you smear the concoction on the inside of your elbow (it's one of the most sensitive parts of your skin). Leave the goop on for at least 48 hours (covering it up with a band-aid when you shower). If nothing terrible happens, you're good to go.
You see, I have no desire to walk around with icky smelling goop on my arm for two days. But, to each their own I suppose.
And yet another 'test' I so often skip. Although I must admit, I'd have probably avoid many a disaster if I'd done this...

Strand test

The strand test is exactly what it sounds like, and you can do it either while performing the allergy test or you can do it the day you dye your hair. With the teaspoon of dye (and a gloved hand), choose a hair strand, and completely saturate it with the dye. Leave it in for the amount of time you'll leave the dye on the rest of your head later, and then wash hair. Check out the strand. If it turns green or purple, get a new hair coloring product and sue the pants off the manufacturer for emotional distress. If the result is what you're going for, then find someone else to sue and dye on.

Can't argue with a lawsuit lol

Okay, We're almost their, I promise.

Checklist:
1. Gloves. Most kits come with some form of latex glove. Check and make sure. If not, head to the local drug store and grab a pair of rubber gloves. Simple enough.

2. Old clothes. Don't dye your hair without having as much of your skin covered as possible. This stuff isn't exactly gentle on your skin, and though you might be tempted to do this au natural so you won't ruin any clothes, keep in mind that it's better to damage an old T-shirt than your skin.

4. An old towel For wiping gunk off your forehead, neck, and ears.. Or the floor, or the cat.

5. A large plastic bag and hair clip. Can't quite explain the bag.. I just use a large clip. Works fine.

6. A timer. Clocks and the ability to tell time are also a good substitute.

Now,
READ THE DIRECTIONS BEFORE YOU BEGIN Trust me, not a good idea to have a load of chemicals in your hair and be asking "now what?"

OKAY! Onto the fun!

Time to Dye. (with a 'y'. A 'y'!!!! **evil grin**)

1. Take stuff out of box.

2. Determine what is what.

3. You'll probably have to mix stuff. Be sure you've read the direction and the label on the bottles CAREFULLY.

4.After the bottle is thoroughly mixed, work the dye from the roots out, making sure your hair is eventually completely and evenly saturated.
FYI, If you have ALOT of hair, you may want to have another kit handy. God forbid you rin out of dye...

5. Twist hair onto head, clip securly into place.

6. Set your timer for the amount of time stated in the instructions. Do not leave the dye in your hair longer than the time suggested. Remember, these chemicals aren't great for your skin, and there's a reason why there's a time listed in the instructions. If you want stronger results, use a hairdryer over the plastic bag.

7. When the timer rings, take off the bag, hop into the shower, and follow the directions in the box. Usually, you're supposed to wash your hair with shampoo until the water runs clear, and then condition with an after-dyeing conditioner that should come in the box.

This is the part where you get ready to scream. Whether in terror or joy, it all rests on you ;).

Note:

* Don't leave the dye on your head any longer than needed.
* Rinse your scalp thoroughly with water after use.
* Wear gloves when applying hair dye.
* Carefully follow the directions in the hair dye package.
* Never mix different hair dye products.
* Be sure to do a patch test for allergic reactions before applying the dye to your hair. Almost all hair dye products include instructions for doing a patch test. It's important to do this each time you dye your hair. Your hairdresser should also do the patch test before dyeing your hair. To test, put a dab of hair dye behind your ear, and don't wash it off for two days. If you don't have any signs of allergic reaction, such as itching, burning, or redness at the test spot, you can be somewhat sure that you won't have a reaction to the dye applied to your hair. If you do react to the patch test, do the same test with different brands or colors until you find one to which you're not allergic.
* Never dye your eyebrows or eyelashes. An allergic reaction to dye could cause swelling or increase risk of infection in the eye area. This can harm the eye and even cause blindness. Spilling dye into the eye by accident could also cause permanent damage. FDA bans the use of hair dyes for eyelash and eyebrow tinting or dyeing even in beauty salons.

Have fun!

Sources:
www.soyouwanna.com . . .
beauty.about.com . . .
www.webmd.com . . .

~ Snack

33 Replies to Hair Dye - At Home Vs. Pros, Selecting a good color, Picking a Brand, & Just getting the job done.

re: Hair Dye - At Home Vs. Pros, Selecting a good color, Picking a Brand, & Just getting the job don
By Annemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 960, member since Thu Jul 14, 2005
On Tue May 22, 2007 10:53 PM
Oh my gosh! This is AMAZING Snack. That was really fun and informative... just want I need since I just died my hair with the demi-permanent with dark brown hair and nothing came out.

Woohoo! Thanks! :D
re: Hair Dye - At Home Vs. Pros, Selecting a good color, Picking a Brand, & Just getting the job don
By Tashimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1224, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Wed May 23, 2007 01:56 AM
Really good post. sticky sticky sticky!
By KatieLongLegsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 710, member since Sun Sep 24, 2006
On Wed May 23, 2007 06:00 AM
That was really informative.
Should definitely be promoted to the land of the stickies! :D
By dancetosurvivemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 466, member since Sat Mar 11, 2006
On Wed May 23, 2007 10:49 PM
rubbing vasiline on hairline and ears also helps prevent dye dying more than just a head of hair....
By Scattered Comments: 444, member since Tue Oct 05, 2004
On Wed May 23, 2007 11:34 PM
Also, I've tried just about every brand of dye know to woman, and I firmly stand behind Garnier as the best of them all. It doesn't damage my hair, it lasts longer than the other brands with minimal fading, and the final product is closest to the color shown on the box. Way better than any other brand out there.
By Dancer_EJ Comments: 40, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Fri May 25, 2007 07:42 AM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2007-06-02 22:20:01 double post
hiyahh!!!!

WOW WOW WOW.... This is really informative and i have found it really usefull

thanks!!!!

xxxx
By Dancer_EJ Comments: 40, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Fri May 25, 2007 07:43 AM
hiyahh!!!!

WOW WOW WOW.... This is really informative and i have found it really usefull

thanks!!!!

xxxx
By Allianamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 501, member since Sat May 27, 2006
On Sat Jun 30, 2007 06:35 AM
If you are a brunette and want to go blonde, get thee to a salon. Even if your hair doesn't appear to have any red tones in it, all dark hair contains some red pigment. Therefore, lightening your hair in one step will most likely turn your hair an unattractive shade of orange that hasn't been popular since the days of Queen Elizabeth I.

amen to that.... My hair was dark brown when I decided to bleach it blonde.....

Turns out the majority of my hair turned orange and I had a platinum white blonde streak on my roots.

It was oh so attractive, lol not.

Thanks heaps for this, I loved the "get ready to scream - in terror or in joy" part, I've had both of those moments.... :D
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Thu Jul 26, 2007 04:08 PM
I'm a total hair dye virgin... but this summer, since the weather is SO bad here, my hair hasn't been lightened by the sun like normal (I'm blonde).

I'm thinking about a change, but a semi-permanent one, since I'm such a novice. But you say I can't go lighter? At all? This scuppers my plans a little.
By Haywee Comments: 4, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:39 AM
Omg, is all true what you said.! :D Well done a very informative piece.
Hayley
By contortionmylife Comments: 55, member since Tue Mar 13, 2007
On Fri Aug 31, 2007 08:19 PM
Wow, this is a great post, it was very informative and i find it very useful! i always go to the pros though, because i am to scared to do it my self!
By maiaelizabeth Comments: 23, member since Wed Oct 03, 2007
On Thu Oct 04, 2007 04:11 AM
I have had many a gone wrong home do! you just cant get it the same as a professional does, for the difference in cost which isnt hundreds more, the final result and lasting colour go to the salon, it saves any of the hassle x
By surfergurl Comments: 507, member since Mon Jun 27, 2005
On Sun Oct 07, 2007 08:28 AM
SO helpful. Karma for you!
By MeiMei_Amaya Comments: 50, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Fri Nov 23, 2007 04:37 AM
If you are a brunette and want to go blonde, get thee to a salon.

I did go to the salon. Even so I got orange hair..... *scream*
So, before you make a termin at the next salon, asked other people who have pretty well done hair to which salon they went.
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2541, member since Fri Dec 21, 2007
On Sat May 17, 2008 08:38 PM
I have naturally brown hair and in the summer I get natural blonde and red highlights...I wanted to go blonde, and decided to do it at home.

HUGE HUGE MISTAKE!

So, my friend told me to use a really really really blonde color. I went for it thinking my hair would really be that color after it was done, but with my hair that color it is it turned ORANGE!

Not just orange, but the dye only stuck to my roots. So my hair was orange at the roots, and natural color as you went down to my tips. It looked horrid. I was devistated!

The next day I tried again, with a darker color. About 4-5 shades darker. When it was done it looked so much better, and looked more blended. I still didnt like it. Neither did my dad, but he didnt seem to have too much to say about it.

Now, since it's growing out, I have about a half inch of natural hair color, and the rest is the dyed hair, which now is like a faded orangish to yellow. Still hideous!

Never again will I dye my hair unless it's darker. I'm just going to stick to natural.

Thank you for your thread! I will deff. read it next time.
By noone2 Comments: 44, member since Sun Mar 23, 2008
On Wed Jun 04, 2008 06:15 PM
this was great. questi...is it ok to rinse the dye out beforethe times up if you want lighter results or will they just be oranger? :)
By PinkKarnation Comments: 47, member since Sat May 10, 2008
On Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:27 AM
I've got medium brown hair.
What I do for highlights is, I put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on my hands and just rub it through my hair.
Looks really pretty! I end up with some red highlights and some golden ones.
By x_christina_a Comments: 47, member since Sun Apr 29, 2007
On Sat Jul 26, 2008 05:57 AM
em what if you're in between cool and warm..my eyes are not too dark brown or too light brown ,,my veins are greenish blue and i go red the i slowly tan...????
By shereendancer Comments: 22, member since Wed Aug 13, 2008
On Thu Aug 14, 2008 07:18 AM
this is a fantastic post
alot of great advice
Shereen
re: Hair Dye - At Home Vs. Pros, Selecting a good color, Picking a Brand, & Just getting the job don (karma: 1)
By Yire Comments: 19, member since Thu Oct 23, 2008
On Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:59 PM
If possible..it would be better to buy professional hair dyes and products. The other cheap store stuff just wont cut it. A lot of those products usually have two lines, one they sell in stores to average people and others sold to professional hair stylists. Why do they have that? Easy! You buy the cheap stuff so you end up having to go to a stylist to fix it. And it IS true. It's the quality of it. Even if the cheap stuff doesn't damage your hair much, it would look much better if done with the right products.
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Sat Nov 22, 2008 08:30 AM
I went from natural brown to bleach blonde...

I did it alone. It worked, but my hair turned to straw.

Although... that was after my friends tried to do it for me and didn't time it but decided it was long enough left, and it went orange.

I actually found a really good site for going blonde, and what to do if it goes wrong, should you process it all over again, or go back to brown, or go to the salon? And how to do those things...

www.blonde-ambition.co.uk
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sat Nov 22, 2008 09:35 PM
I, personally, like the Revlon Colorsilk Haircolor. It's cheap and it's ammonia-free.

Plus I know WG has $1.00 off coupon too. :) I bless my customers with it when I work on Sundays. :)

Speaking of which, I need to re-do mine again too. I use the "Auburn Brown" color. It's either #47 or #49.

Great stuff. :)
By distracteddancer Comments: 36, member since Mon Jun 15, 2009
On Mon Jun 15, 2009 08:01 PM
Stickies! Oh, stickies! Boy are stickies fantastic! Especially this one! Karma!!!!! Really good post. Must have taken a while to compile.
By Scarlett93 Comments: 22, member since Sun Oct 19, 2008
On Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:58 AM
Good stuff - very informative and entertaining!
Thank you!!
Scarlett x
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch