Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

Ribbons- Quick Tips Guide
By struckbyastar
On Wed May 23, 2007 05:39 AM

My friend and I are centre stage in the finale of our summer show doing Phantoms "Masquerade". Our costumes are all a bit circus-y and we are two circus girls who have to use ribbons. the problem is, neither of us have ever used ribbons before!! Can anyone give me a few tips or tricks to help guide me through the 4 minutes we have to use the ribbon (and be on pointe)so we're not stuck doing the same thing all the time??

Thanks!

4 Replies to Ribbons- Quick Tips Guide

re: Ribbons- Quick Tips Guide
By Proud_Mama
On Wed May 23, 2007 12:04 PM
It's hard to verbally explain (or to type it al out) how to do different tricks with the ribbon (in my opinon) So I thought maybe you can check out some rhythmic gymnasts routines' @ youtube.com. That way you can actually SEE how different things are done and possibly work them into your routines :) Hope this helps
Some gymnasts to check out:
Alina Kabaeva
Anna Bessonova
Irina Tchachina
also make sure to look at the Ribbon event in the Athens 2004 Olympics!
Good Luck
Jessica
By GymLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 27, 2007 11:54 AM
one tip that would be useful: it's all in the wrist. It's the wrist which guides the movements of the ribbon
By ruthy_may
On Sun May 27, 2007 12:16 PM
Its definately hard to explain but the best tip i can give you so that you dont get tangled up is to hold your arm straight out but point your wrist down. if you point your wrist upwards you will get lots of knots! if you point your wrist down and circle it you will create spirals, if you move your wrist from side to side you will get a snake effect. I would agree that looking on youtube for some videos would be a good idea as well.

Hope i could help a bit! Ruth
By Pauliina93
On Sun Jul 08, 2007 07:53 AM
go to youtube.com and search ribbon (adn a gymnasts name f kabaeva, bessonova etc. like rhythmic gymnastics and try to do the tricks.

ReplySendWatch