Priority Slow Dance

Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Pointe - General
Rihanna in Pointes en>fr fr>en
By epg2010 Comments: 97, member since Mon Feb 13, 2006
On Fri May 25, 2007 10:43 AM

www.mtv.com . . .

watch her new video..What do you think about her in pointe shoes?

17 Replies to Rihanna in Pointes

re: Rihanna in Pointes en>fr fr>en
By lefttiltM Comments: 86, member since Sat Apr 14, 2007
On Fri May 25, 2007 11:08 AM
i like it

i love when people take ballet and pointe and incorperate it in totaly different styles
By jb_dancer_chicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1645, member since Thu Jun 19, 2003
On Fri May 25, 2007 12:15 PM
There is another post of this page titled the exact same thing, please check the page before posting doubles.
By epg2010 Comments: 97, member since Mon Feb 13, 2006
On Fri May 25, 2007 01:37 PM
sorry, i looked on the page that was up but i guess i didnt look hard enough.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Sat May 26, 2007 07:54 PM
I don't really like it. I hate when people just wear pointe shoes cause it looks cool. I don't know whether or not rihanna has had dance training or not, but the shoes did not look that great on her. They just looked like an accessory.
By laura_snora Comments: 15, member since Fri Nov 10, 2006
On Sat Jun 02, 2007 06:47 AM
I was just thinking that this morning! I dont think it would actually be her, but I do like the danceing en pointe for this song!Anyway, If it is her, i'm hoping that shes had some dance experience before dancing on pointe.
~Laura
By bubbles23 Comments: 815, member since Sun Jul 17, 2005
On Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:26 PM
i sure hope she has had ballet experience. that was cool though.
By Piccolamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2910, member since Mon Jun 05, 2006
On Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:30 PM
There are several threads about this subject!

www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .

Check the boards before posting!
By supermodel Comments: 37, member since Mon Apr 16, 2007
On Fri Jun 15, 2007 03:21 PM
i don't like the way the pointes look on her. at all.
By dancegirl11a Comments: 206, member since Fri Jan 19, 2007
On Sat Jun 16, 2007 01:37 PM
dancinqt5013 wrote:

I don't really like it. I hate when people just wear pointe shoes cause it looks cool. I don't know whether or not rihanna has had dance training or not, but the shoes did not look that great on her. They just looked like an accessory.

I was thinking the same thing
By pointeprincess5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 864, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:57 AM
Edited by pointeprincess5 (180727) on 2007-08-10 11:58:12
im soooo sick and tired of hearing this! (sorry. i just had to vent. i know people have already said that this has been posted before.) but, yeah, i do hate it when people wear pointes (for 2 seconds) to be able to say "ballet is so easy. i went on pointe!" i just think about how many girls are out there watching this video and asking thier parents if they can have pointes just because rihanna has them. it makes me sad to think of how many people are seeing this and think that pointe is sexy (which during some ballets, like romeo and juliet, it can be) but dont really think about the art of ballet and the beauty of being able to appear as though you're floating on air. once agian, sorry. i had to vent. im better now =)
re: Rihanna in Pointes (karma: 3)  en>fr fr>en
By CadBuRyBuNNymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 240, member since Mon Mar 25, 2002
On Fri Aug 10, 2007 01:43 PM
Who cares?

She likes the way pointe looks and she wanted to make it part of her video. You should be flattered, not offended.

The fact is...walking en pointe IS easy. Dancing en pointe can be difficult, sure, but she wasn't dancing or doing anything any Tom Dick or Harry could do in pointe shoes. She's a big girl...she doesn't need people judging her artistic style.

Also, as it's already been pointed out multiple times, they never have a full body shot of her in them (except maybe when she has her arms above her head, holding onto something...thus taking her weight off her toes and, as you all keep complaining about, making, making her feet look not so great). It wasn't her in them, k?

I know you all might disagree with people wearing pointe shoes that haven't been taking ballet for years and years, but the fact of the matter is it can be done...I don't see anyone complaining about Julia Styles in Save the Last dance...I remember it was something like she learned pointe in a couple months before the film.

I get hurt more wearing heels and flipflops than I do dancing en pointe...so sure, where there are those horrible stories about people breaking their feet/ankles/etc... it's probably very rare...and even us dancers who were trained and approved to be en pointe STILL get injuries sometimes! Fact of life.

I know you like to think going en pointe as some exclusive club...but it's just not. Anyone can stand in pointe shoes...will it look good? Probably not. Can they pull off advanced dance moves? Definitely not. So instead of wasting so much time complaining about people doing what, in your eyes, they shouldn't...focus on what YOU can do, take pride in THAT, and make YOURSELF better.

Like elementary school teachers used to always say..."don't worry about what Sally's doing, worry about what you're doing!"

There's a fine line between genuinely looking out for someone and just being a smart-aleck.
By cjkittycattymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 121, member since Thu Dec 29, 2005
On Fri Aug 10, 2007 06:54 PM
exactly, i think that's sooo true.
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18113, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Sat Aug 11, 2007 08:51 AM
I must not have looked at the right video because all I saw was her humping a car.
By ineluctability Comments: 452, member since Wed Jun 20, 2007
On Sat Aug 11, 2007 09:07 AM
Oh the poor youth of today and the crappy music they have to listen to!!
:(
By dancingfool12 Comments: 22, member since Tue Aug 07, 2007
On Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:06 AM
She did train in dance. But I didn't like how she stopped dancing years ago and has the nerve to use pointes just for a video. Dancingqt5013 said that its just an accessory, your right. Had my very old fashioned dance instructor saw it, she would have tutted away. LOL.
By pointeox1215 Comments: 3, member since Mon Aug 13, 2007
On Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:40 AM
I thought it was a nice touch, but she didn't really look like she knew what she was doing.
By Cashew Comments: 5, member since Wed Mar 21, 2007
On Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:32 PM
I have to agree with you. This topic has been beaten to death, and honestly, if I saw these responses before deciding to go out and take classes, I'd probably never want to do dance on the fear that I'd never be good enough to appease the masses.

To me, this video would inspire me to learn. Ballet has a mystique of weightlessness, of sexiness, of beauty that very little else has. These negative responses make it seem to me (a very ballet beginner) that pointe knowledge and training is a clique that the non-perfect need not apply.

If someone wants to wear pointe shoes, who cares? It can be just as bad and dangerous as wearing high heels out on the town. (trust me, I know. I've stalled my fledgeling dance career tripping over a pothole in heels, and am in a soft cast at the present)

CadBuRyBuNNy wrote:

Who cares?

She likes the way pointe looks and she wanted to make it part of her video. You should be flattered, not offended.

The fact is...walking en pointe IS easy. Dancing en pointe can be difficult, sure, but she wasn't dancing or doing anything any Tom Dick or Harry could do in pointe shoes. She's a big girl...she doesn't need people judging her artistic style.

Also, as it's already been pointed out multiple times, they never have a full body shot of her in them (except maybe when she has her arms above her head, holding onto something...thus taking her weight off her toes and, as you all keep complaining about, making, making her feet look not so great). It wasn't her in them, k?

I know you all might disagree with people wearing pointe shoes that haven't been taking ballet for years and years, but the fact of the matter is it can be done...I don't see anyone complaining about Julia Styles in Save the Last dance...I remember it was something like she learned pointe in a couple months before the film.

I get hurt more wearing heels and flipflops than I do dancing en pointe...so sure, where there are those horrible stories about people breaking their feet/ankles/etc... it's probably very rare...and even us dancers who were trained and approved to be en pointe STILL get injuries sometimes! Fact of life.

I know you like to think going en pointe as some exclusive club...but it's just not. Anyone can stand in pointe shoes...will it look good? Probably not. Can they pull off advanced dance moves? Definitely not. So instead of wasting so much time complaining about people doing what, in your eyes, they shouldn't...focus on what YOU can do, take pride in THAT, and make YOURSELF better.

Like elementary school teachers used to always say..."don't worry about what Sally's doing, worry about what you're doing!"

There's a fine line between genuinely looking out for someone and just being a smart-aleck.

ReplySendWatch