Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers
The Complete Guide to Making Puffy Headbands and Flower Headbands (karma: 16)
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2956, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Mon May 28, 2007 09:00 AM
Edited by FeisForFood (163151) on 2007-05-28 09:02:44 ugly spacing
Edited by FeisForFood (163151) on 2007-05-28 09:03:28 one more thing
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2007-11-09 17:04:12

With a sharp increase in posts asking how to make these over the past few months as the style has grown, I decided it might be beneficial to just make one big instructional post.

Making A "Puffy" Headband
The following are instructions for making this kind of headband: xs215.xs.to . . .

What You'll Need:
A plastic headband (no special variety)
Batting
Fabric that matches the dress
Ribbons, sequins, and other sparkly things matching the dress
A hot glue gun

Directions:
1. Take your plastic headband and wrap it in batting to make it puffy. Glue it down at one end (with your hot glue gun) and wrap around all the way to the other end, and glue it there, too. Try to glue the ends on the inside part of the headband, if you can.

2. Cut your dress-matching fabric into strips (the longer, the better) about 1.5-2 inches wide.

3. The same way you did the batting, glue one end of a fabric strip to the inside of the headband and wrap. Try to cover up the part where you glued it down. If your strip is too short, just glue the end down on the inside and start adding a new strip where you left off. Glue the strip down at the end when you finish.

4. Now you should have a colored, plain, puffy headband. Gather your ribbons and other pretty things.

5. This part is the most fun! Here are my suggestions. All are optional, do what you like:
-Glue and wrap the ribbon around the headband the same way as you did with the fabric, but leave lots of space when you wrap so it looks stripey.
-Glue on sequins and diamantes.
-Wrap it in lace if that matches the dress.
-Use your imagination!

6. You're all done! Clean up and try it on.

Making a Flower Headband
The following are instructions for making this type of headband: xs215.xs.to . . .

What You'll Need:
A plastic headband (no special variety)
Batting
Fabric that matches the dress
A variety of silk/fake flowers, colors that match the dress
A hot glue gun

Directions:
1. Take your plastic headband and wrap it in batting to make it puffy. Glue it down at one end (with your hot glue gun) and wrap around all the way to the other end, and glue it there, too. Try to glue the ends on the inside part of the headband, if you can.

2. Cut your dress-matching fabric into strips (the longer, the better) about 1.5-2 inches wide.

3. The same way you did the batting, glue one end of a fabric strip to the inside of the headband and wrap. Try to cover up the part where you glued it down. If your strip is too short, just glue the end down on the inside and start adding a new strip where you left off. Glue the strip down at the end when you finish.

3. Cut the stems off of the fake flowers so they're just a flower and a teeny bit of stem left, just enough to hold the flower part together.

4. Start by holding the flowers up to the headband in different patterns to decide how you're going to arrange them. You'll probably want lots of flowers on it to fill in the gaps so it has a nice full look.

5. Start wherever you like in the headband, I personally like to start from the middle and work my way out. Use your hot glue gun to glue the flowers onto the headband. Do your best to glue them so they're facing straight out and there isn't a lot of the bottom side showing. Don't worry if it's not perfect, you can use lots of flowers to fill in the gaps.

6. Keep gluing them on until your headband is covered in lovely florals, filling in the gaps and trying out patterns.

7. You're all done! Clean up and try it on.

Notes
Making these headbands is a lot of fun, and doesn't require a lot of time or money, just a bit of patience and a creative eye. You can find batting, fabric, and flowers at your local craft or fabric store. If you can't find a plastic headband there, your local clothing or accessory store probably has a bunch (especially in the Girls' sections) that are ready-to-wear. Remember that since you're going to be wrapping it in batting and fabric anyway, it doesn't really matter if there's already a pattern or anything. Also consider that if the headband you find it already "puffy" enough for you, you can skip the step where you wrap it in batting. Have fun making and wearing your new headband! If you have any questions, you can always PM me or any of the lovely dressmakers here at DDN, I'm sure most if not all of them have experience making this type of headpiece. Good luck!

62 Replies to The Complete Guide to Making Puffy Headbands and Flower Headbands

re: The Complete Guide to Making Puffy Headbands and Flower Headbands
By GetReel928 Comments: 326, member since Sat Apr 23, 2005
On Mon May 28, 2007 11:03 AM
Great Post!!--should be made a sticky!
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2903, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Mon May 28, 2007 11:46 AM
Great guide! I love these new headbands, they're so easy and cheap to make and so light to wear!

One extra little tip: if you want to make a puffy headband, and you can find a plain (usually velvet) puffy headband in a store somewhere (they tend to be very reasonably priced), it makes it even simpler!
By LovinIrishDancinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 644, member since Tue Feb 07, 2006
On Mon May 28, 2007 11:56 AM
yaya!!! aw now I really have to try out one! :D
Thanks, Aoife
By irishdancer3435 Comments: 624, member since Sat Oct 22, 2005
On Mon May 28, 2007 04:37 PM
great post! now i just have one question.

how do you keep the headband on? do you put elastic loops on the end?
By Rosiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4094, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Mon May 28, 2007 04:46 PM
Mine has ribbons on it, so I put the bobby pin through the ribbon and put it into my hair. Now, my mom's sewing loops of ribbon on it to put the bobby pins through.
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2956, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Mon May 28, 2007 04:47 PM
Edited by FeisForFood (163151) on 2007-05-28 16:53:47
^ You shouldn't really have a problem keeping it on if you put it on your actual head instead of embedded in your wig. If you do choose to stick it in your wig (this style looks nicer on some people, and it does depend on the headband, too) you can hot glue small hair elastics to either end and hook hairpins or bobbypins through them and stick those into your wig, it should work fine!

EDIT: Rosie and I replied at the same time. I'm sure the ribbons work wonderfully, and it gave me another idea, too. Actually, it's how I keep my own flower headband on (mine is smaller though, I wear a bun wig). I have a ribbon glued on it so that instead of loops, its just about 6 inches of ribbon off of each end. For mine I use the really narrow kind of ribbon, and I have dark brown because my hair is dark brown. I position the headband where I like it and tie the ribbons around the back of my bun wig. When they're tight, I pin them in close up under the wig and wrap them around so you can't see them. I'm sure this can be done with full wigs, too, but you would probably have to use a ribbon with longer than 6 inches at the ends.

I'm glad everyone's finding this useful! :D
By IDHypnotistPremium member Comments: 419, member since Sun Feb 19, 2006
On Mon May 28, 2007 05:17 PM
This is great! Well done. I agree it should be a sticky.
By dancing_potatoes Comments: 540, member since Thu Dec 23, 2004
On Mon May 28, 2007 06:38 PM
Sticky sticky sticky! Haha

Thankyou for this FeisForFood - I've been wondering how to make one and now I know! Karma for you :)

If I get around to making one I'll be sure to post a pic so you can see what you helped me make!
By LaCelticaPremium member Comments: 153, member since Wed Nov 30, 2005
On Mon May 28, 2007 07:01 PM
Great instructions! I just finished making one for a dress I'm getting ready to put up for sale. The dress is a few years old and has a regular fabric crown that matches it, but the floral headband gives it a bit of a "new" look.
On Tue May 29, 2007 03:58 PM
I'm glad this is helpful. :)
By Allianamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 501, member since Sat May 27, 2006
On Tue May 29, 2007 08:15 PM
yay my headband is fashionable again.... woohoo.

anyway mine has elastic attached that wraps right round my head and the headband actually sits on my hair not on the wig. It's never come off so far.
By Love2Dance7 Comments: 157, member since Wed Jun 14, 2006
On Thu May 31, 2007 11:42 AM
Thanks for the tips! I just finished mine last night, and I think it turned out pretty good. I also sewed a small elastic loop in the center towards the back, as mine kept tipping forward. This way I cam anchor it to the wig in front.
On Thu May 31, 2007 02:25 PM
If anyone has pictures of headbands they've made, I'm sure we would all love to see them!
By Bec_member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1055, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Thu May 31, 2007 02:52 PM
^ becsdancinghairbands.piczo.com

ive made a lot more recent/super sparkly ones that are covered in rhinestones, (my latest ones have got alot more crystals and beaded ribbon etc added on, since them pictures) but i dont have pics of them on their owners yet! (or on my head for that matter!) and some of the ones that were taken quickly on my head look better on their owners with different coloured hair to me :)

i love making them though!
Bec x
By anthrogirl Comments: 29, member since Wed May 30, 2007
On Mon Jun 04, 2007 02:24 PM
great post! i've been looking into making or having puffy headbands made for my school (i help teach), since our current head pieces look like they are part of a maid's outfit--so this post is perfect!
By Rincemom2member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 521, member since Sat Feb 24, 2007
On Thu Jun 07, 2007 02:02 PM
OK so here is my attempt of a puffy headband!
We found some padded headbands on close out from Dillards, I found the pink material that I wrapped it in, out of a discard barrel and then I covered it in a piece of the dress material.
I used a hot glue gun but still had to sew the ends at the bottom part of the headband (what a pain :( ).
If I can do this, anyone can!
Good luck
xxEg
By bluedamselflyPremium member Comments: 960, member since Tue May 04, 2004
On Fri Jun 08, 2007 01:49 PM
Edited by bluedamselfly (92527) on 2007-06-08 13:52:29 added two more links
Edited by bluedamselfly (92527) on 2007-06-08 13:53:19 2nd edit b/c I didn't do it right the first time
OK, here is my very first attempt. Any feedback/how to improve more than welcome. And how cute is my model? ha ha.

Edited to add a few close-ups. Should I be putting more flowers towards the ends? I was assuming those would be hidden by curls anyway.

Image hotlink - 'http://i18.tinypic.com/67xk7yf.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://i13.tinypic.com/61ob4mv.jpg'

On Fri Jun 08, 2007 01:56 PM
^ Ooh! That's gorgeous! The placement of the flowers looks fine-- it would be easier to tell if it were shown on a dancer with a wig, but it seems like they go far enough down. I love it!
On Fri Jun 08, 2007 02:01 PM
Aw, thanks!!! Yes, my normal "model" is off at the amusement park, so this little doll had to step in. I may bribe dd later to try it on, though she won't end up with this one. Her dress is completely different colors but has not arrived yet, so I'm holding off on making hers. I think I may add some rhinestones too. This is addictive!
By katusmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 411, member since Wed Jan 31, 2007
On Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:18 PM
ok, so my dress's backround is blue and spotty, with orange applique and silver holographic glitterdot stuff too. Help! I have no idea how I shluld make my headband....I wont be able to get the spotty fabric, so i'll probably be limited to ribbons and some other stuff i can find at spotlight...but also, how should I decorate it after I've "ribonned it" ... I've seen lots with flowers and sequins ... but i have none of that on my dress. :( Please help the poor, uncreative child that I am :)

xx
On Sat Jun 09, 2007 08:35 AM
Bambii, I wouldn't worry if you have no flowers on your dress, the majority of dancers I've seen wearing these also do not have dresses with flowers. Just go for something similar to your dress colors. In your case, I'd wrap in a blue ribbon, and then do the flowers in blue & orange, adding a bit of silver flowers to make it pop.
By Smilinirish Comments: 20, member since Sun Jan 13, 2008
On Sun Jan 13, 2008 02:53 PM
O my gosh these are all soo great... do puffy headbands go at all with class costumes or bun wigS?
On Sun Jan 13, 2008 03:05 PM
Edited by FeisForFood (163151) on 2008-01-13 15:29:37
^ Both. My class costume has one and I made one last weekend for my solo dress and I wear a bun wig. I'll post pictures of both tomorrow!

EDIT: I just realized I already have some on my computer. Here they are!

Team headbands: I didn't make these, a mom in our school did (we've had the dresses for a few years but we just started wearing the headbands for NANs this year). You can see how effective they are! Instead of cropping it I just blurred everyone but myself so you can see how it works with the team.
Image hotlink - 'http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1152/forddngp6.jpg'

And I just made this one for my solo. I don't have a picture of me wearing it but I can get one. It was so easy to make and I had a lot of fun.
Image hotlink - 'http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/319/forddn2pk5.jpg'
By Smilinirish Comments: 20, member since Sun Jan 13, 2008
On Sun Jan 13, 2008 03:13 PM
Thanks soo much! I would really really love to wear one at my next feis!
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch