Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: The Complete Guide to Making Puffy Headbands and Flower Headbands
By irishdancer3435 Comments: 624, member since Sat Oct 22, 2005
On Sun Jan 13, 2008 04:10 PM

+ -

I made one for myself and my sister right before oireachtas! they are so easy to make and cost less than 8 dollars to make with all the extras.

mine is the black velvet one and my sisters is the pink and purple one :)
By Smilinirish Comments: 20, member since Sun Jan 13, 2008
On Sun Jan 13, 2008 04:26 PM
I really should make one of these! it would look amazing with my dress-- if I can make it like all of you!!
By irishcurlsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 538, member since Sat Nov 24, 2007
On Wed Jan 16, 2008 03:10 PM
Hey, I started to make my headband yesterday but I'm having trouble with the wrapping around with my fabric, it's satin. Every time I wrap it there's this weirdish space and bump.
Can anybody explain me what I'm doing wrong... I started over like twice and I don't feel like to that mistake again... :P
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2956, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Wed Jan 16, 2008 03:31 PM
Since satin's not really stretchy (if you look at the picture of my solo dress one I posted a few posts back, the blue fabric is a glittery stretchy fabric, the same stuff that leotards, gymnastics especially, are made of), you might have to glue the edges down (hot glue) as you go. If you don't, it'll keep doing what you're describing and won't wrap smoothly. You could also try using narrower strips. Are you able to post a picture of what it looks like right now with the bump and weird space?
By Smilinirish Comments: 20, member since Sun Jan 13, 2008
On Wed Jan 16, 2008 04:20 PM
Hey feisforfood, could you tell me the best fabric for making these? I'm not sure what I have on my dress, but I think it would work...
By DruidButterfly Comments: 121, member since Sat Mar 08, 2008
On Sat Mar 08, 2008 03:35 PM
Oh! You know what would be really fun? Having a headband party! You could get a few of your friends from your school to come over and you could all make them together while watching a movie and doing naughty things such as eating cookies... If some of the girls already had headpieces they liked they could still come and make them for little girls at your studios as surprises! :)
By tippytippy123 Comments: 378, member since Wed Feb 27, 2008
On Thu Apr 10, 2008 09:19 AM
Hehe, thanks for your post !
It really helped me !
I've just finished mine :)
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2956, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Thu Apr 10, 2008 02:01 PM
^ It's so pretty! It looks like it goes with your dress really well. I'm glad the post helped. :)

DruidButterfly: My teacher actually did something similar. My school sent a lot more U8 and U9 dancers than usual to Oireachtas this year (about half in championships and half in novice or prizewinner that were teachers' discretion). One of the teachers had a bunch of us older girls over to make each of the little girls a headband to match her dress. It was so much fun and they really loved them!
By holly_irishdance Comments: 1152, member since Wed Jul 26, 2006
On Fri Apr 18, 2008 01:59 PM
Hiya!

Is there any way you could make one of these headbands without a hot glue gun?? I have a dimanteé gun but no hot glue gun. what else could you use?

Thanks!

Holly
By Mysticalldancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 679, member since Thu Feb 05, 2004
On Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:05 AM
you could try to use a fabric glue....i forget what its called but its glue that you can glue things like sequins and diamontes and stuff to fabric. i don't kno how well it works. i haven't gotten around to using it yet.
By DebraS Comments: 110, member since Tue Sep 04, 2007
On Sun May 18, 2008 06:15 PM
I just started putting together my first one this evening, and hopped on the board to look for help - glad I did!!! I have another method to add for making it puffy - if you take some 1/2 foam and cut it in a strip so that it doesn't overlap when wrapped around the headband and secure it by tying a piece of string around one end and wrapping it around to the other and tying it off there it adds nice height without lots a layers. I actually used self-adhering (ace type) elastic bandage to shape it smooth and furthur secure it. It was quick and mind boggling easy. I came here 'cause I could figure out how to put the fabric on - was trying to do it as one piece!!! Didn't even think to wrap it the same way - thank you thank you thank you!!!
By Turtlechick Comments: 137, member since Fri Apr 29, 2005
On Thu May 29, 2008 02:04 AM
I was wondering if there were any websites that you can get the glittery flowers and gemstones off? I've been looking around but can't find any!! Any help would be GREAT!!! :)
Stef :P
By bluedamselflyPremium member Comments: 960, member since Tue May 04, 2004
On Thu May 29, 2008 07:26 AM
I've found flowers & stones on ebay, and also dancebling.com has a bunch, and she has tons of flower colors.
By Reelcutie Comments: 89, member since Wed May 28, 2008
On Thu May 29, 2008 01:31 PM
Hi! I make beautiful flower headbands with crystals and I sell them! If you are interested in buying one please send me an e-mail! I have made several already and they look amazing on stage.
jumpstartlearning@yahoo.com
By mini2z Comments: 66, member since Thu Jun 05, 2008
On Fri Jun 06, 2008 07:12 AM
I would just like to thank you for posting this. I've finally came out of "lurkdom" and joined this site because I wanted to thank you for the step by step directions.

My dd will be very happy when she comes home to find her new headband.
By MissCeallaighmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 516, member since Tue Sep 12, 2006
On Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:24 AM
I love this! Thank you so much! When I bought a dress a couple years ago, it didnt come with bloomers or a headband, and now reselling people may expect it. Im going to make a headband tomorrow, I cant wait! :)
By stepdancer2010 Comments: 296, member since Fri Jan 11, 2008
On Sun Jul 06, 2008 06:59 PM
Edited by stepdancer2010 (190354) on 2008-07-06 19:00:11

+ -

I just finished mine today, and I absolutely love it!
By loricg Comments: 11, member since Mon Sep 08, 2008
On Wed Sep 10, 2008 07:02 PM
Thanks! I'm making my daughters dress and she wanted a puffy headband I had no idea how to go about it. Thanks so much
By DancerGirl4Life Comments: 76, member since Thu Nov 20, 2008
On Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:28 PM
Thank you so much for posting this! It makes getting a headband sooooo much easier now that I can make it...
By kay7 Comments: 29, member since Sat Jan 17, 2009
On Mon Jan 26, 2009 02:55 PM
these headbands are quite expensive to buy from feis retailer
thanks for showing how to make them.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Mon Jan 26, 2009 05:19 PM
Thanks for the directions! It worked great for me. I did not want mine too puffy since I don't wear a wig, so I zig zag stitched two layers of quilt batting together down the middle so they wouldn't shift and glued them to the headband. Then added the fabric over that.
By ceiligirl1973 Comments: 22, member since Wed Jan 03, 2007
On Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:57 AM
Great post! I made my daughter's last headband really versatile - I sewed little loops on either side to bobby pin in her big wig, and I also sewed a litte hook and eye on the ends so she could make it a circle band for her bun wig!
By luvlifePremium member Comments: 45, member since Fri Sep 11, 2009
On Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:05 AM
Thanks for the post. I'm always looking for a orange headband to match our dress and can never find one we like. Now I just make it!
By piercedpikachu Comments: 53, member since Fri May 09, 2008
On Sat Oct 10, 2009 07:06 PM
Edited by piercedpikachu (195997) on 2009-10-10 19:08:19
Hop_123 your headband is BEAUTIFUL!
it looks very REGAL! Im so loving that purple with gold!
I think I may make one just like that but in emerald green :)
By JennyJ Comments: 27, member since Thu Jan 14, 2010
On Sat Jan 16, 2010 07:34 PM
I love the flowery headbands but must refrain from making one for my daughter. She is a great dancer and tolerates wearing her ID dress/es but she is a tomboy at heart and does/will NOT do frills and fluff. Maybe I could make some just for the heck of it and put them in the dress ups at the kindergarten. Who says their just for dancers.
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch