Forum: General / Tap / Clogging

teaching clogging
By misskarlie
On Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:57 AM

So i will be teaching clogging classes this summer for age groups preschool - 5th grade. Do you have any recommendations for music choices????

7 Replies to teaching clogging

re: teaching clogging
By dangslowmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:39 AM
The important thing you need to remember about teaching kids is that you are essentially dealing with only a brain stem. There is no grey matter to speak of. Patience is the key...

As for music choices? Take your cues from the kids. They will always have preferences when it comes to music, and they will always perform better when it is something they like.
I grew up in the dark ages before the internet. I grew up when there were only three channels on TV, so I had to resort to clogging to the J Giles band and Devil Went Down to Georgia like everyone else did. We had no other choice. But now our kids clog to that "Tikki Tikki Tikki" song and they are better off for it. If we ask the kids what songs they would like to clog to, they always come up with some song we have never heard of, but they always enjoy clogging to it, and the crowd always likes to keep it current too. I say take your cues from the kids everytime...

As for TEACHING the little ones? Sheesh... I would recommend a good shot of JD right before class starts. Maybe a lobotomy? I dunno. You need something strong, anything strong, to take away all the madness that children bring to a clogging class...
God help you when you teach the tiny ones...
By tcssomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 01, 2007 08:43 PM
How many weeks? How many kids in each group? I would just do basics and a hoedown with 3rd grade and under. For 4th and 5th, a real simple, short routine with a handful of steps to something Disney (Supernova Girl is popular with my younger ones) works very well.

How long will you have them? When I do summer camps I always come with a giant cowl of crayons and clogging coloring sheets. It's a great back up if they're completely wound up.

Good luck and have fun!
By Luv2Clog
On Sat Jun 02, 2007 08:05 AM
My 5-7 year old kids love "Bounce!" a Radio-Disney song. Also, "Walkin' the Dog" by Dan Zanes. We use familiar nursery rhymes for the 3-4 year olds.

SimonsaysCLOG, where do you find clogging coloring sheets? I have been trying to find some . . .
By tcssomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 08:53 AM
I made them. I can draw fairly decent and made some cartoon clogging sheets.
By misskarlie
On Mon Jun 04, 2007 02:19 PM
well,.....we have 5 sessions this summer. Each session is 2 weeks long, and there are 3 classes a week. Bu i just wanted to teach a dance and pay games and have fun too.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 04, 2007 05:42 PM
I've got an old, old que-sheet to "The Hokey Pokey", that I can email you if your interested (send me a PM!)

Also, if you've got routines that you like that have pretty good choreography, but you don't like the song, just rework it to a better song. For example, the choreograph to Fishin' In The Dark (by Dieter Brown, it's on the national dance list at clog.org) is good, solid, basic choreography, but it's probably not the best song to entertain preschoolers. So, it'd probably fit nicely to another song.

A few years ago, Simone Pace taught a routine to Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani, which, EDITED, would probably be alot of fun. It's easy, basic, choreography (for the most part - there's one step that will give them fits), plus they get to stomp around, and use their hands. :D

I'll email you both of those, if you'd like.

t
By misskarlie
On Mon Jun 11, 2007 01:29 PM
That would be great if yiou could e-mail them to me! Where do i get the hokey pokey?

ReplySendWatch