Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Should I be punished?
By dancer16_90
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 01:43 PM

Ok well I am captian for the upcoming year. I was asked to call the members of the squad to go to school last Thursday or Friday to go and pick up their uniforms for next year. Well there is this one girl who I tried calling both numbers I have for her atleast 10 times each. I couldn't get intouch with anyone on either phone. One number is her dad's cell number I left 3 messages but there was never a phone call returned. I left her a message on myspace also but she just got on today. Well she is upset with me because she has to wait until the end of July to get her uniforms when everyone else already has theirs. She says it is all my fault because I should have picked her stuff up for her since I hadn't talked to her. I was going to do that but I didn't want to get her stuff then her find out from someone else and go to pick it up and it not be there. Now she is saying that she is going to get me kicked off the squad because it is all my fualt.

Did I do the right thing? Or should I have picked up her stuff?

9 Replies to Should I be punished?

re: Should I be punished?
By guardedPremium member
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 02:17 PM
In no way shape or form do I think you should be punished for her not picking up her uniform. That entire idea is ridiculous. You're her captain, not her personal babysitter. Unless there's some urgent reason for her needing her uniform between now and the end of July, she needs to chill. Just my two cents.
By dancer16_90
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 02:53 PM
The thing is she doesn't need her uniform until the end of August but she wan't get them until the end of July. BooHOO
By danzinchyk416
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 03:45 PM
No way should u be punished..if it's their job to pick up their uniform...you can't be blamed for not bringing it to her.
By luv2dance1973
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 05:41 PM
Keep notes to cover yourself. Day, date, and time you left VM (voice mail) and on what phone number. That's a good policy to start at your age and keep it for a lifetime...calling the insurance company someday? Day, date, time, and name of person with whom you spoke.

Knowledge and inforamtion carry weight and can protect YOU in the longrun.

Good luck and congrats on being captain!
By TaraDancer21
On Thu Jun 07, 2007 09:37 PM
I have a different response.

Are you responsible for her actions and lack of communicating with you? NO!

Should you have picked up her uniform? Yes.

Should be punished. Absolutely not!

Unfortunatly, as an instructor I understand it was not your fault but I still expect my captains/sections leaders to pick up slack. It's not a life ending situation-You don't even need the uniforms yet and she'll have it in time. Luv2dance has right in that you need to document all of these things to cover yourself.

Just remember your captain now and it is not your responsibility to be a babysitter. It is your responsibility to make sure everything gets done- wether you delegate the duties or do it yourself. Period.

Good luck this upcoming year! :)
By rachelilymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 22, 2007 09:37 AM
i believe you did the right thing. you did everything you could, and this girl both did not give you enough information for you to reach her properly nor checked her messages to see that you reached her. if you had picked up her things, and she later got the message and went to pick up the uniform herself, she wouldve found a new reason to complain that it wasnt there for her to pick up. dont worry, you made captain and your instructor has trust in you and wont kick you off no matter what this girl says. maybe next time this girl should be notified to pay a little attention to see whos reaching her.

dont worry, you did everything you could! i wouldnt kick you off for that! :)
By Flitzcgcg06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 24, 2007 08:36 AM
Like everybody else has said you should not get in trouble by any means, however like Taradancer said you should have probably picked up the uniform. Whether you gave it to her right away or not is a different story. From now on in your guard you should make rules that if you are supposed to do something then you must do it at the time it is supposed to be done. Period. Example: "Everybody needs to go get their uniforms next Thurs. or Fri. or I will keep them for you and you will have to do (insert large #) of spins for me" So next time something like this happens this girl will have nothing to use against you and all of your instructors, directors etc. will be able to back you up on it. The guard I was in in High school did this and the guard I teach now does this as well and it seems to work pretty well because you better believe they will never do it again.

As for this girl who is making such a big deal about her uniform, does she really need her uniform RIGHT NOW??? What is she going to do, wear it around the house? She needs to realize that she needs to take responsibility for it too. So no, it would be rediculous for you to get punished.
By HisGuardGirlBC
On Tue Jun 26, 2007 09:22 AM
I agree, you probably should have picked up the uniform...but you definately shouldnt be punished. It's not your fault she wouldnt answer the phone!
By browniex293
On Thu Jul 05, 2007 08:51 PM
No you should not be punished. She didn't answer the phone, so it's her fault.

ReplySendWatch