Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Color Guard
By guardcapt16
On Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:22 AM
Edited by guardcapt16 (180359) on 2007-06-04 11:22:51 Forgot something
Edited by guardcapt16 (180359) on 2007-06-04 11:26:35 forgot something else too

So I am going to be captain by myself next year for color guard (I was Co-Captain this year as a sophomore). This year we just got a new band director and since our color guard goes with the band he is changing everything a lot. We used to only do simple flag spins that everyone basically made names for and there were only six of us. Next year our band director is planning on us doing field shows and everything which our entire band has never even done before. We just barely got our flags shortened down from almost 7 ft. to 5ft and are soon going to be 4 i think. I am worried because as captain he is planning on me making all new routines getting girls willing to actually work cause this yr. the girls in flag are just a bunch of girls who didnt want to march with there instrument and have an excuse to wear a short skirt. So I don't know what to do. My director said he would help as much as possible but I dont know how much that means. He said if we can raise money we can higher a choreographer but the problem is there are none in our area. We live in NH band and color guard are not common and either is pretty much anything else. SO if you guys have an ideas on how I can completely re-invent our whole color guard in a short matter of time that would be great. I also am supposed to create a new routine for the alumni parade to "Thriller" by Michael Jackson and thats in like 2 weeks. So i am completely FREAKING OUT!

~K3LLY~

Also I forgot to mention we have no coach just me and band director who doesnt know like anything about guard.

5 Replies to Color Guard

re: Color Guard
By guardgirl
On Mon Jun 04, 2007 05:35 PM
Okay, go to wgi.org, and go to the section where the sell vidoes and dvd's. they have a flag fundamental dvd that you can make your band director buy. This will help you get some more knowledge on your equipment. Some advice is to keep it simple, and if you do a field show, then swing flags will be your best friend. If you need any more help, let me know.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 05, 2007 05:22 PM
You really need to hire a choreographer, even if it's only for 1 week. Here's a link to the spartan's site. They're a drum corps in NH, and I'm sure they can provide you with a choreographer. I don't know where you are in NH, so you might want to search WGI.org and DCI.org for guards/corps that are closer to you. But any independent winter guard, drum corps, or university marching band will be happy to put you in touch with a choreographer. You should expect to pay about $1000-$2000 for a 1-week camp where the choreographer will teach the guard 3 songs (you still might have to fill in a few minor sections, but all the major features should be complete).

As for the parade routine, keep it simple, and don't make it any longer than 64 counts. Parade routines should repeat because the audience generally doesn't see you perform the entire song (since you're moving).

Good luck!
By TaraDancer21
On Thu Jun 07, 2007 09:29 PM
I agree with Panic. You really need a choreographer. A guard I once taught sent me the music/drill one season (I was 7 hours away) and I wrote a routine and had it video taped so that the captains could learn it and teach it to the other girls. They at least had a starting point and could make changes as necessary.

There are a few decent websites/newsgroups that you could post "help wanted" ads and get a decent response. PM if you would like those.

Good Luck!
By guardcapt16
On Tue Jun 12, 2007 06:31 AM
Yea i think we are going to try to get a choreographer the problem is the money to get one. We are an extremely small school and they just cut like almost all funding from the arts department. And we have to have permission to fund raise. So its hard. They want to get rid of the team all together so they can make a school rugby team. I hate it. But were working on it.
By thats_so_hot95
On Fri Jun 15, 2007 04:48 PM
to pursade your band idrector tell him how counted down you will get if you dont get a choroegrapher to help with the routine! Explain what a dissapointment and embarrassment that would be to the school, the school competeing against you . That would get his attention

again best of luck!

ReplySendWatch