Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

18 yrs too old?
By indigo_dancer
On Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:34 PM

is it too late to compete at 18 years old? Even if the flexibility is there and basic skills of walkovers, balances and jumps have been previously achieved?
Please help me, I need a rhythmic gymnasts advice.

4 Replies to 18 yrs too old?

re: 18 yrs too old?
By Fizi_Kal
On Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:30 PM
Don't really know the answer to your question,(i,m not a rhythmic gymnasts), but i,ve seen some fantastic older gymnasts and dancers.

Think sometimes its more that as you get older you start to branch off in other directions and no longer have the time to commit to your chosen sport.

If its what you really want why not have a word with your coach or contact one (if you don't already have one), theres no harm in finding out, afterall if its something you really want to do you might regret not looking into it more when your older.

Tracy.
By RileyA
On Thu Jun 14, 2007 06:12 PM
There are no maximum age limits on most Rhythmic gymnastics competitions. You should be able to compete if you are 50 years old as long as you have the skills required. You may find you have to compete against kids who are much much younger than you. But don't let it bother you they have probably been doing the sport much longer. An 18 year old in their 1st year in the sport competing against 7 or 8 year olds in their 4th year in the sport is doing great because they have been doing it 4 times as long. Try not to think of it as an age competition but as a competition based on ability and you just haven;t been doing it as long and thats all.

BTW if you already have those skills mentioned above you already sound quite advanced so you will probably be moved up to a higher level straight away.
By ruthy_may
On Sun Jun 24, 2007 09:47 AM
I definately dont think its too old to start especially if you already have the ability
I am 18 and still competing and we have people at our club who are 24. We also have a girl that didnt start until she was 18, so i think you should definately have a go, as long as you dont mind competing against younger people, like we have to!

Ruthy x
By indigo_dancer
On Tue Jun 26, 2007 01:16 AM
Thank-you so much for all your replies. And yes I do already have a coach. Again thanks so much!

ReplySendWatch