Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

First Polynesian recital help!
By kawaii671
On Thu Jun 07, 2007 05:09 PM

Hi, I've been dancing hula and tahitian since January and my very first recital's coming up. The thing is, I'm not sure what to do about makeup. My teacher says that some necessities are blush and fake eyelashes. I've never done this before and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips?

Oh yeah btw, what's the best thing to do to keep my hair volumized throughout the recital? I'm going to have my hair braided the day before. I appreciate any help I can get!!! =)

15 Replies to First Polynesian recital help!

re: First Polynesian recital help!
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 07, 2007 06:41 PM
The blush and fake eyelashes, I'm not good with make-up. If no one else helps you out on this board, go over to disco. They can give you LOTS of good advice on make-up.

Now your hair, I can help you with that. You might also want to PM the mod Theresa, if she doesn't stop by and help you herself!

In order to help you with your hair, though, I need to know your hair type and race.
By kawaii671
On Thu Jun 07, 2007 07:11 PM
Thanks for replying! I'm actually full Filipino...and I have really long, thick, and straight black hair. When I tried braiding it a night before a practice, it didn't last long even with lots of hairspray. I'm planning to have it braided a day before...how do I keep the volume?
On Thu Jun 07, 2007 08:18 PM
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2007-06-07 20:28:13 OK...
what kind of braids did you do? I'm gonna get Theresa in on this one. Be right back.

Okay, I'm back. I've PM'd her and told her your situation. Hopefully she's not too overloaded and can get to you soon.

Do you want me to PM the groovytwins over in Disco to come on over and help you with your eyelash situation? They're on my friends list and I'm sure they'd love to help you!
By kawaii671
On Thu Jun 07, 2007 09:51 PM
Edited by kawaii671 (180569) on 2007-06-07 21:53:03 Forgot to add another answer to previous comment
Omg that would be great!!! I seriously never tried fake eyelashes and I'm pretty hesitant to start now! I just do normal braids...but I make them tight and not too small or big, so overall I would have around 20 braids. Thank you soooo much for your help =)
By groovytwinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 08, 2007 05:51 AM
Hi there!

I'm not too sure what the whole hula and tahitian make-up should be like, but I can give you some pointers with eyelashes and stuff.

When buying eyelashes, make sure to buy the correct size for your eyes, you don't want to look like a drag queen! In Disco that is what we do, we wear insanely large eyelashes that drag your eyes down and by the end of the day you can barely open them. I'm sure simple ones to add a little extra volume to your eyes will be perfect! If they are too long for your eyelids, cut them down to size.

Don't put too much glue on them, as this may sting your eyes/stick them together!

For the make-up, I really have no idea of how you are supposed to wear it. I tried searching a few pictures but they weren't too helpful!

What to do is start with some light foundation, matching your skin tone. Make sure you blend it in properly. This will be a great base and the rest of your make-up will go on better because of it. Maybe use a powder to go over your foundation, especially if it is a liquid one, as this will remove the shine. After doing so, put your blusher on. This will add a certain shape to your face. Take the blusher brush and sweep downwards, on the apples of your cheeks, then dust the edges with more powder to take away the brightness, so you are left with a subtle hint of colour. Apply as much as needed until you get your desired colour.

If you are using eyeshadow, remember to put this after you put your eyelashes on or they may not stick. A good way to keep eye make up on is to put a little layer of vaseline on the lid before you apply the eyeshadow.

Hopefully that helped a little bit! Don't hesitate to pm me if you need more help. :)
On Fri Jun 08, 2007 06:22 AM
^Yeah, one of my girlfriends used to have a regular gig in Waikiki and she used to wear fake eyelashes. Hers were the 'drag queen' kind. They scared me to death.

So think 'graceful eyelashes', not Oahu, Waikiki 'hamburger Mary' eyelashes. :D
By kawaii671
On Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:53 PM
Thank you sooo much! I'm gonna buy makeup and the fake eyelashes today...omg the recital is in 2 days!!! I got that nervous/excited feeling. Well thanks again for everything =)
On Fri Jun 08, 2007 02:38 PM
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2007-06-08 14:51:18
Maybe try more braids and did you use a holding mouse before you put each braid in? Use the holding mouse and do 30 braids. My friend with all those gigs used to put rollers at the ends of her hair after braiding it. Then she'd spray it and go to bed.

EDIT:
I got to thinking, maybe you shouldn't wait until the night before to put the braids in. Maybe you should do them in the morning and have them in all day long, then sleep in them the night before the performance, then take them out when you usually would on the day of your performance. Just a thought! :D

I'm so excited for you!
By No_Longer_on_DDNPremium member
On Fri Jun 08, 2007 04:59 PM
Aloha!!

Well...let me tell yo uthat I am a pro when it comes to the whole make-up and hair thang for polynesian dance!! lol. I used to do most of the girls for my group.

You dont' have to braid your hair the whole day before, the night before will be fine. Because your hair is so think, you probably only need to do like 6 or 7 TIGHT braids. When your hair is thinner, you need more than that to get the fullness. When you take it out, flip your hair over and brush up towards the sky. This will help your hair fill out. Flip your hair back over, split it down the middle (just on top) and pull just the top layer of hair up. Then rat everything underneath and hairspray away. Put the pretty un-ratted hair on top so that it looks full, but not ratty. = ) Also, we usually put sponge rollers at the bottom of our hair and it looks really nice. I put a picture of my hula sister in my pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

I hope this kind of helps. Good-luck with your recital. Let me know how it goes!
By kawaii671
On Fri Jun 08, 2007 07:00 PM
Thanks again! I have more than enough help now to get ready =). I'll definitely get prepared for the show! I'll probably post some pics after the recital! I still have yet to see the tahitian costumes, but I hope it all turns out well. I'll let you know!!! =)
On Sat Jun 09, 2007 05:18 PM
Thank you for posting, Kaleonahenahe, because I've got thinner hair. Now I know, next time do more braids for volume. The last two times I danced I didn't do enough braids (I see now) and it didn't poof out right. It sort of turned into a stringy afro thing and egads! I wound up just putting it up right before and putting a bunch of flowers and bobby pins in! LOL.
On Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:48 AM
Please come back and tell us how you did! How did it all turn out? How did the make-up and lashes and hair go? I'm so curious, I could burst!
By kawaii671
On Tue Jun 12, 2007 09:06 PM
Edited by kawaii671 (180569) on 2007-06-12 21:14:05
Sorry for the late reply!! I actually just had a midterm today so the day after my recital, I had to hit the books! But anyways, I had so much fun! The energy backstage was just crazy! The eyelashes actually went pretty well =). I ended up having the longest lashes, but it didn't matter because it didn't make me look like a drag queen eeek. My hair turned out great too! It lasted a lot longer and the good thing was that one of the girls I met there helped me out with my braids. Lucky enough, her mom was helping out too, and she was a hairdresser =). Makeup? I tried it on the day before to see how I would look, and it actually was the least of my worries!

I had sooo much fun! Although I must admit that I almost screwed up a few times, but it all went well! I'm so glad my dress didn't fall, safety pins work like a charm. I must say, I'm pretty proud of myself for not freezing up in front of everyone. I was in the front row for two numbers! Wow...it was so overwhelming. Thanks everyone for all your help! You guys definitely helped me get prepared and the outcome was greater than I expected =) Maruru!!

edit: I added 2 pics in my gallery if you want to see! I was in my tahitian costume though, I'll find one with my hula =)
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 13, 2007 03:07 PM
Hmmmm When I danced I barely if at all wore makeup.

For my hair I would maybe pull the front back....but leave the majority down. Didn't curl it nothing.

At the time It was nice and long though.

I'm actually kind of surprised that some of you volumize your hair.

Our group never did.
By mwdancemom
On Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:14 PM
Your pics are great! I'm glad you were happy with how the recital turned out. I'm sorry I couldn't respond with any help before the recital. My dd's performance group actually uses very little makeup. There are children and women ranging from ages 4-40 and I've rarely seen anyone use anything more than just lipstick, blush and a little eye makeup. (Although, my poor dd is verrrry fair skinned so occasionally she gets a little tanner help on her legs and verrrry white stomach! We grab that from her Irish dancing bag the night before a performance!)

Again, congrats to you and I love the costumes!

ReplySendWatch