Poll: Disco / Disco - Teams

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Is it worth having teams anymore?????????
By champdancersmumPremium member Comments: 7255, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Thu Jun 14, 2007 02:30 AM

Hi

Iv noticed since my daughter started dancing 3 years ago that there are very few entries in the team sections. Some comps there are no team entries and even at top events there are only every 1 or 2.

When I was a dancer - about 20 years ago lol there used to be about 15 entries in all the champ teams.

Just when I got thinking about it I just thought whats the point????? Practise is usually every week, then there is paying for the costumes, then some teams have really elaborate make up with very little time to get changed afterwards in to costumes for the next section. If there are only 1 or 2 teams why bother?? Also, say you have a beginner or starter team then they wont ever get the chance to loose a life and get up to a higher section will they???

Just wondered what everyone elses opinion was when they thought about it.

xxxxxxxxx

love Sharon

59 Replies to Is it worth having teams anymore?????????

re: Is it worth having teams anymore????
By sally_32member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3021, member since Wed Jul 13, 2005
On Sat Jun 16, 2007 03:50 PM
Hi,

I agree with you as like you said there are never more than a couple in each section so how will they ever move up the sections? If there is no chance of moving up whats the point? In all dancing there needs to be something to work towards. I have only been involved in comps with my kids for about 3 years but even in this time i have seen less and less teams at comps. I love watching the teams especially the champs and you can see by what they do how hard they work.

Sally x
By nikklamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6864, member since Sat Mar 22, 2003
On Sat Jun 16, 2007 04:15 PM
Hiya
to a certain extent i do agree with you, but i would really miss seeing certain teams! for example i would be well gutted if i never saw Zennon or Satelite dance again...its always exciting to see what they come up with !!
Theres lots of great teams about at the moment..but yer i do understand what you are saying :)
Nicola xxx
By a1costumes Comments: 1369, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Sat Jun 16, 2007 04:18 PM
i think yes it is!! i also remember when there were loads of teams . i think they should be encouraged as they really help build a team spirit within a school. i know teachers are really busy but i think it would be great to see more teams out there. look how popular cheeky bits and mini mezzos were getting to the final rounds of britains got talent. we had so much fun doing all sorts of fundraisers for our team costumes in the past . lets hope teams dont die out it wold be a great loss and also there a chance for the dancers that dont always make finals to walk away with a trophy!!!!
By DanniDollmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2639, member since Tue Jan 25, 2005
On Sat Jun 16, 2007 04:31 PM
Edited by DanniDoll (120480) on 2007-06-16 16:42:39
I think there should be teams at huge comps like Disco Kid && Brean.

The teams are usually OUT OF THE WORLD there apparently so some of my dance school have said.

I love watching teams though as some are AMAZING. Its nice to watch everyone working togeather and having fun. Its also nice to see the whole dance school be supportive.

What I don't like is when we have teams and then they rush through slow && street and chuck loads of people on the floor.

Love Danni xx
By Hannah_spana Comments: 1862, member since Sat Jan 21, 2006
On Sat Jun 16, 2007 04:38 PM
I think there should be more teams out there as its such a fun
section and everyone from your school is working together instead of competing against eachother, so any success and everyone is celebrating!
Ive danced in a team since my first competition and still do and i love it, our dance school has two teams but we don't always dance because not everyone can make every comp and if too many are away it would look messy etc, i think perhaps this is why theres not always very many!
Hannah x
re: Is it worth having teams anymore???? (karma: 1)
By sisterdancer Comments: 1437, member since Wed Apr 20, 2005
On Sat Jun 16, 2007 05:50 PM
I can remember competing at brean 10 years ago and there being 15 plus teams in a section!!!
I just think it is so much hard work that goes into a team and I think there should be so much more credit going to a teacher who puts out an original team as the amount of hard work and paitence by the teacher and 16 pupils is amazing!. I think a team really benefits the pupils of the school and it makes them work harder knowing one day they will be in that team!! I have heard the babies in our school saying they cant wait to be in ZENNON and that is what it is all about!!!!
xxxx
By Taylor5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3662, member since Thu Jul 01, 2004
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 01:45 AM
Hiya!
I agree definatly!! Like the idea of having
them at the big comps.. :)
My teacher is running a comp in September
and she isnt doing teams and is having another
section e.g slow pairs or something!!
I think this is a good idea.. :D
Love Taylor x
By champdancersmumPremium member Comments: 7255, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:48 PM
Hi

I agree about having teams at big comps like Brean and Disco Kid. Maybe if they only had teams at big comps then the teachers would be able to do them and people wouldnt feel so committed to 52 weeka a year. On the downside, I suppose I wouldnt be impressed to get a team suit bill to wear it once lol. The team spirit is great when you are part of a team its just such a shame they arent very many out there.

xxxx

love Sharon
By darceylilly1 Comments: 261, member since Wed Sep 20, 2006
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 01:01 PM
i love being in our schools team dolly mixtures we have fun
darcey x
By clair1 Comments: 1273, member since Sun Jul 16, 2006
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 01:05 PM
hi

tori loves being in team,

it is one of her favourite lessons each week.

i also love watching teams and i think they should have a bit longer to get changed lol

but it is annoying when they are the only team dancing,

alot of effort has been put into team,
so it is good to have abit of competition!

clair x
By xtwinkle_toesxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1152, member since Sat May 13, 2006
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 01:07 PM
iv only ever been to one comp where they done team and the team that danced were the only ones in it
i LOVED watching team thought it was fantastic
i think its a good way for teachers to show off their choreography but i do think think that its unfair on beginner teams that dont get the chance to move up
mabey team would be better for just big events like brean, craig tara, the worlds, disco kid etc
i would love to see team again :) it was the highlight of the comp last week
love eilidh xxxxx
By Jo_AND_CoPremium member Comments: 3552, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 01:41 PM
100% yes
I love to watch teams and it is good when all the girls get together to dance
its good for relationships and gives those less confident dancers a time to shine
one of our girls danced in team for 3 years -until she had the confidence to dance in solo
had it not been for team she may never have danced!!
JO
By LOVE_DANCE_KASEYmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 330, member since Wed Jun 13, 2007
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 02:16 PM
heya,

i dance ISTD and there is always oloads of teams in each section in general, well apart from our one there is usually only us because of on girls age in my team

we are called smash if anyone has seen us

xxxx kasey xxxx
By disco_queen2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 546, member since Fri Jun 03, 2005
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 03:15 PM
Shannen loves being in her team SPIRIT from Turners,
She started doing comps when she was picked for the team this is her third year and had never been to a comp before dancing in the team, Having watched how adictive it is she decided to do solo, then doubles with her friend Josie who is also in Spirit, then slow dance, she flew through beginers, spent just 6 months to get through starters and now dances in under 16 inters!
If it hadn't been for teams she would never had starting comps at all, How sad would that be?
Thank heaven for teams!!
We have 3 teams at Turners one of them being the fab CHEEKY BITS (Britains got talent),i feel the girls support each other better when dancing solo when they dance together in a team as they have a special bond!
lots of love Janet x
I have also taken part in a mums and dads team at pontins and it's great fun. keep teams alive!!
By Milly_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4755, member since Fri Dec 12, 2003
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 05:59 AM
Yes!

I am part of team who on our circuit is quite well known.
We all work hard each week to get the results we do and it is an achievement to be unbeaten.

At a comp I was at yesterday, the solos didnt finish til about 3:30pm, which for the comp was really long.
There was a good few teams in each section and it did have a sense of competition it where you had to work hard to get the result.We do have elaborate make up but only for the big weekenders because of the lack of the team to change in between.

At our school, team isnt an must but alot of our dancers do it as it helps to give you different qualities as a dancer and person. Also as a team we do get an input into our choregraphy and you did have a sense of achivement and you feel proud when a sequence that you made up goes in.

Emily xxxxx
By annie7Premium member Comments: 143, member since Thu Mar 03, 2005
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 08:43 AM
please can i just say teams isn't always about winning it's about friends without teams i would never of met some of my lovely mates in cheeky bits because two of them only do teams there always at practice and never miss a comp and still cheer the rest of us on
without teams some kids would never discover dancing
love annie7 aka Katelyn (a cheeky bit)
By Milly_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4755, member since Fri Dec 12, 2003
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 08:46 AM
I wasnt savin that it was! :)
Just that it is an achivement for our team to be unbeaten on our circuit and that we work hard to try and keep it that way!

And I totally agree about friends! Ive become alot closer to people through team!

Emily xxxxx
By shuvvy Comments: 361, member since Mon Jul 31, 2006
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:22 AM
I think it is worth having teams because i think it is one of the best dances to watch in a competion.
it also helps to make friends in your dance school because you all have to work together so you all become friends.
well, that's my opinion anyways.
shuvvy
xxx
xx
x
By JosieJoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1210, member since Sun May 15, 2005
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 02:38 PM
I totally agree with dance_queen2

KEEP TEAMS ALIVE!!!

Without team i would be nowhere in the dance world- just going along to disco/street class every week and doing a boring exam twice a year. Compared to the wonderful fun and exitement of the many comps i have been to sincer being selected to be in Spirit 2 years ago.

I LOVE being in a team and could never bring myself to quit for any reason. we often dance at comps where there are 5 teams in outr section!

~josie~
By lildancer_Nazmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2362, member since Sat Jan 08, 2005
On Tue Jun 19, 2007 07:47 AM
I love doing team :)But i have got to say it is really dissapointing when you dont have anyone against you :( When i started doing teams 6 years ago there seemed to be alot more than there is now,Even at such a big event like the worlds in may there was only one team against us :( Really dissapointing!
Love Naomi x x x
By stepmum Comments: 278, member since Sun Sep 17, 2006
On Tue Jun 19, 2007 01:58 PM
I love team and know the girls do too but i agree its a shame more schools don't do it!
Doesnt help when they leave it right to the end and people are always leaving maybe if they had it midway more schools would do it???
Lisa
By chloeleighPremium member Comments: 2428, member since Thu Mar 15, 2007
On Sat Jun 30, 2007 07:42 AM
teams are good for school spirit and teach you how to get on with everyone. if you don't have a partner they give you another chance to dance at competition, so i say keep teams alive too! x
By terri_brit_ebsPremium member Comments: 1966, member since Tue May 15, 2007
On Thu Jul 05, 2007 09:39 AM
my daughter is in a team called deja vu and they seem to never be against any1 we pay for her team practice but dont seem to progress because they cant loose any lives, so from my point of view it seems pointless to have teams anymore.
but when she dances with her team they do dance gr8 and we do feel proud.
By minni_haha Comments: 25, member since Sat Nov 11, 2006
On Thu Jul 05, 2007 09:49 AM
it is a shame as i love watching the team enties, were very lucky if we watch 3 a year though as there not very popular:(
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch