Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Do you consider dance teams to be sport or art?
By dancer_meggs
On Fri Jun 15, 2007 01:41 PM

Just wondering. At my school it's considered art and that's why we get credits for taking dance classes. But i'm not talking dance classes and actually performing on a stage, i'm talking dance TEAMS. I can't say that a dance team can be both sport and art, so which do yall think it is?

7 Replies to Do you consider dance teams to be sport or art?

re: Do you consider dance teams to be sport or art?
By butters
On Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:22 PM
at our school it isnt a class, just a team you try out for. in no way do i think its an art though.

the definition of a sport in the dictionary is: physical activity engaged in for pleasure.

And an art is: the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects.

Im gunna have to go with sport! theres just so much physical activity as opposed to creative imagination
By dancinNflorida
On Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:43 AM
Last year, the school where I coach dance at defined dance team as a sport. But this year they changed it to be an art and its considered the same thing as band. Not exactly true but since it isnt a sport anymore we aren't under as many rules. I haven't changed what I do with the team its just a technical thing.
By peanut4
On Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:46 AM
I would consider it to be both. It definitely is a sport in that you do compete against others. It also is an art form in that you are expressing yourself creatively through dance.
By ocdancer3
On Fri Jul 27, 2007 01:49 PM
I have to agree it is both. You compete against others which makes it a sport. Dance is an art form.
By dancingrl247
On Sun Jul 29, 2007 03:50 PM
dance TEAM i would say is a sport. it's thought of one at my school and i don't really think we (my team that is) really express ourselves or the music when we dance. its much more the uniform, dancing to entertain the crowd part of dance, rather than interpreting the music or expressing an emotion like ballet or lyrical.
By erdtdancer94
On Wed Aug 08, 2007 05:44 PM
I consider it to be both...but at my high school, you can letter in Dance Team.
By bornadiva92
On Thu Aug 23, 2007 07:24 PM
at our school, it is considered both.
we are in both the arts and sports section of the video yearbook.
however----
we are run by the athletic director (we follow his rules), and can letter.... but, we are not recognized by the virginia high school league, so its up to us to come up with our own funds and such

ReplySendWatch