Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

Ankles
By Dottie724
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 06:43 PM

My daughter was in a recent competiion. A professional photographer took pics. I noticed that in almost shot, her ankle is twisted when she is in releve. Could this be the photographer that took the pic at the percise moment she was going into releve? Shouldn't the ankle be completely straight to support the rest of the body? She should be going up straight, correct? How can she strenghten her ankle so she just goes straigt up with no twisting. She is 10 and has be competing for 3 years. The ankle looks as though it will snap. I see this twist mostly in the needle shots or ring promenade. Any suggestions or recommendations?

5 Replies to Ankles

re: Ankles
By Meg_a_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 07:46 PM
It might be easiest to tell if you post a picture of it. I'm not quite sure what you mean by twisted. Is her whole foot turned out or is it more like she's only using half her foot in the releve? If she is only using half her foot, she is "rolling in" which can make the ankle look funky angle wise. It is very bad for her to roll in, but the only way to fix it is practice feeling all 5 toes on the ground.... I don't do rhythmics, but i do Ballet, and that's a common problem. It's probably better to post a photo though, cause i may be completely wrong in my assumtions...
Hope competitions and practices are going well!
Smiles
Meg
By GymLovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 19, 2007 03:47 PM
it depends on how she's twisting. If she is "winging" her foot then it's not wrong, on the contrary it's more beautiful.

If she however places her weight wrong on her toes then she can also seem twist her ankle (then she should balance on the outer part of her foot instead of her triangle of the big toe).

example of the wing in the foot. If this is what it looks like I wouldn't bother telling her to keep her ankle straight as it's lovely to see such ballet feet. Marina's case is a bit extreme perhaps but just compare the direction the ankle goes.
Image hotlink - 'http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8710/marina2006thiaisaa21byjaq9.th.jpg'

It's hard to find good examples of how not to balance on your toes but Kurbanova does it often (in fact I only have one picture of her where she's standing straight on the correct part of her foot).
If this is what you meant with twisted I would definitely correct her. Make her aware that she's standing on the wrong part of her foot. There are basic little ballet exercises to strengthen ankles and make sure you do balance on the "big toe triangle".
Image hotlink - 'http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3162/anna2004ogqualies3bypatyz5.th.jpg' Image hotlink - 'http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/7236/anna2006thiaisaa21byjamrn8.th.jpg'
By Dottie724
On Tue Jun 19, 2007 06:00 PM
How do you post a pic?
or visit this site to see what I mean.
www.moore-rhythmic.com . . .

The example of the 3rd photo of the gymnast in the red/orange leo is an example of what is is doing.

Over the summer I'm going to find a ballet class for her. I think she needs it.

Thanks for your comments.
By pointe92member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:32 PM
i would like to see a picture maybe you should talk to her to try to fix your problem . sorry if i didnt help
By eskimoballerina
On Tue Jun 26, 2007 07:50 PM
theraband exercises are great for ankle strengthening. her ankle rolling out like that- especially in that direction- is setting her up for a sprain or tear. it's much easier to sprain your ankle outwards than inwards, though the inner ones are harder to recover from. make sure she's spreading out her weight on her toes evenly- if it's uneven, the weight should be more on the big toe side than the little toe side. then again, it might just be a bad habit that needs breaking.

ReplySendWatch