Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Page:
Page 4 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Oh no! first BALLET CLASS?! (Ultimate guide for beginners)
By balletnotions Comments: 4, member since Tue Apr 15, 2008
On Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:09 AM
Thank you! Even though I used to dance, I've forgotten a lot of the specifics (and since I hope to start dancing again someday, it's good to be reminded). With the pictures and in-depth information, I'm really glad it's a sticky--it's so useful! So thank you very very much.
By kinsy Comments: 47, member since Mon Nov 10, 2008
On Sat Dec 06, 2008 04:29 AM
Thankyou, this has been interesting reading. got my first ballet exam tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
By LittleLauren Comments: 247, member since Thu Nov 27, 2008
On Fri Jan 09, 2009 04:20 AM
This post has really helped,I'm starting ballet soon and i found it really interesting
By clickies Comments: 7, member since Tue Jan 27, 2009
On Wed Jan 28, 2009 09:06 AM
Ah you guys are soooo lucky can start/restart ballet at teenage. I here, in Indonesia, can't restart ballet anymore.
All of ballet schools only accept student who is at age 3-12.
I'm 15. But I want it soo badly. *cries out loud*
By monkee_fugg Comments: 7, member since Fri Jan 30, 2009
On Sat Jan 31, 2009 08:27 PM
Today I had my first ballet class since I was a little girl of 5 or 6!
It was a pretty fast-paced technique class--no real step-by-step 'teaching'-- so I tried to follow along as best I could.
I guess I'll take the beginner class on wednesday and this one on saturday, so I can both learn things correctly and slowly in the beginner class, and pick things up quickly by 'jumping right in' during the Saturday class.

The good news, though, is that I passed as a teenager!
My class today was 'teen ballet,' and the other girls thought I was a teenager!
(I just turned 24)
one girl asked me what grade I was in!
I was like "uh.. I'm finishing up my Master's"
I was kinda apprehensive about prancing around in a leotard and pink tights with a bunch of skinny teenagers but their bodies were actually a healthy/average size.

My only concern is that the teacher didn't seem too nice/friendly, which sort of made me feel a little self-conscious
But one of the girls I talked to said I did well for my first class. I didn't look totally lost, and I could do things like arabesque and whatnot.

Just thought I'd report on my first class here, b/c reading all of your posts have really helped me feel like I was not alone!! Thank You!
By Urban_Holly Comments: 55, member since Sun Jun 15, 2008
On Wed Feb 25, 2009 02:32 PM
good luck :)
By azdark86member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 51, member since Sat Jan 31, 2009
On Thu Feb 26, 2009 03:04 PM
Thanks so much for this guide! For people like me or are new to dancing and ballet in-particular it is a usual reference point. I like how you've explained some of the technicalites of the class, which are often where we can feel most embarassed when starting a new class (as it's a culture thing, it is always less clearly definined). I am hoping that along with the warm up/down exercises I will learn in my new class next week, I can also encorporate some that I've learnt in other sports (if this allowed of course!).

And reading some of the stories about getting back in ballet have made me feel a lot less self-conscious about starting lessons at 22 years old for the first time. I guess when you're willing to try and have the passion and opportunity to dance, then anything is possible :)
By never_katiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 803, member since Tue Aug 26, 2008
On Sun Mar 01, 2009 05:20 PM
This is a great thread to turn to for any beginner.
By danaelovesballetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 84, member since Sat Apr 04, 2009
On Sun Apr 12, 2009 03:52 PM
Wow this is really great! I already started ballet when I read this, but it is still extremely helpful and it is great to show all of my friends that I am trying to get into ballet. You answered all the main questions that people have! This is so great :) Sorry I just love it. Oh and all of the pictures are really cool!
By darkCosette Comments: 15, member since Thu Mar 12, 2009
On Mon Apr 20, 2009 01:08 PM
Really Helpful!

I love it!
Thank you very much! ^^

Comment #8201940 deleted
Removed by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2009-05-05 17:35:36 Guess what? You have to actually contribute to the discussion to keep your comments from being deleted. Now you get to start from scratch!

By starrynight472 Comments: 1, member since Mon May 11, 2009
On Mon May 11, 2009 02:07 PM
Thank you! I'm starting my first ballet class, well, since a long time, about 2 years.
By scarlett_quarmby Comments: 21, member since Tue May 05, 2009
On Tue May 12, 2009 05:17 PM
Just point your toes and don't look at the floor too much :) have fun
By hennakittenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 58, member since Sun Mar 15, 2009
On Sun May 17, 2009 07:10 PM
Thanks so much!! I was soooo nervous for my first class, this helped make it not-so-confusing!
By RedNailsOnMonday Comments: 62, member since Mon May 04, 2009
On Tue May 26, 2009 12:39 PM
Just want to thank mandarina for her Sticky! It helped me SO SO SO SO SO much! *virtual hugs*
By Dancingstep Comments: 22, member since Thu Mar 19, 2009
On Sat May 30, 2009 05:41 AM
Awesome, now I'll know what to expect if I actually decide to go for classes:)
By AvantBallet Comments: 20, member since Wed Apr 29, 2009
On Fri Jun 05, 2009 09:31 AM
What a really great and helpful post I wish I had something like this before my first class!
By emma_01member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 614, member since Fri Apr 14, 2006
On Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:08 PM
Hiya i have just started ballet lately
if you are worried about it dont worry i was.i didnt know anyone or any dances.i would go for one week go for a couple and see what its like knowing people and the dances
hope you take the advice emma xxx
By readyfuels Comments: 1, member since Sun Jun 28, 2009
On Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:00 AM
I'm starting my first ballet class since I was four (I'm twenty-three now!) on Tuesday and I'm really nervous/excited, so this was an invaluable resource!
By celtic_kelpie Comments: 7, member since Sat May 09, 2009
On Tue Jun 30, 2009 04:06 PM
thank you so much..... it really helped
By DANGimDaNcInG Comments: 30, member since Wed Jul 15, 2009
On Wed Jul 15, 2009 07:22 PM
That is such a wonderful guide! One of my friends is going to start ballet and after watching these videos she is wonderful already! Thankyou so much for posting this! Also, lovely pictures. Are they just off of google or are they taken at your dance studio or something?
By dancer_est99 Comments: 70, member since Sat Jun 13, 2009
On Fri Jul 17, 2009 09:32 AM
A good stretch to try at the beginning of class is the scorpion stretch. Pull your leg up and basically on top of your head from behind and grab onto your foot with both hands. You may want to have a spotter or someone to stretch you though.
By twinkletoes1309 Comments: 26, member since Fri Aug 14, 2009
On Sat Aug 15, 2009 01:38 PM
this was REALLY helpful, thanks!!
By SwedishGirl86 Comments: 26, member since Thu Jul 16, 2009
On Wed Aug 26, 2009 04:39 PM
This is a very good sticky! I'm taking my first lesson next monday so it helped me a lot. Though I don't think some of the you tube videos work anymore. They seem to have been deleted by the account owner. Could you/someone please write some other links?

Sorry if some one else already commented about this.
Thank you! :)
By Shadower Comments: 41, member since Mon Aug 31, 2009
On Mon Aug 31, 2009 07:50 AM
This is so helpful thankyou very much! It must have taken you ages :D I'm really glad its a sticky!
Page:
Page 4 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatchDraw