Forum: General / Tap / Clogging

Copyright laws and copying dance music
By Clog_It_Up
On Mon Jun 25, 2007 07:53 PM

Hey everyone! So I want to make CD's for my students so that they can practice at home. Will I get in a huge amount of trouble if I do this? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

7 Replies to Copyright laws and copying dance music

re: Copyright laws and copying dance music
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:19 PM
I would say as long as you're not a) selling the CD to them, and b) they're not selling it or distributing it to someone else, I think you would be fine.

It would, of course, be better if they bought all the material off of the individual sources where copyright laws are still relevant (some sources follow a twenty-year law of "public domain" , but you'd have to check per each source).

For safety's sake, if the material is fairly easy to get -- give them a list of artists and albums, so that they can go out and invest, and then burn their own. Then the artists don't get slighted on copyrights.

And, if anyone has more information on this than me -- please pipe up.

S.
By tcssomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 27, 2007 09:16 AM
Do you have your BMI/ASCAP?

You can put their music on a CD and sell the CD (as a material object), not the music.
By Luv2Clog
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 07:30 AM
SimonsaysCLOG, I would like to learn more about that (selling as a material object.) It would definitely put my wonders to rest.

Does either BMI or ASCAP discuss this on their websites? If you've seen it referenced anywhere, please point us in the right direction.
By tcssomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 07:57 AM
I sell the CDs for $1. I used to hand them out and people took advantage of it. Soon I was going through a dozen spindles a year - that's something like $300 out of my own pocket. Charging a couple bucks covers your cost of the CD and time to burn the songs. It also doesn't appear as if you're selling the music. I know of another studio in town who charges $10 - that's a little much to be able to say you're just selling the CD, not the music. As long as you're giving the music to them for private use and selling them the disc, it's no biggie. Know what I mean?
By TapizoidPremium member
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 03:13 PM
BMI/ASCAP licensure is available through clog.org for an annual fee. Having it provides peace of mind regarding the copying of music for your students and classes. But as SSC as already said, charge only to recoup your own expense or you may run the risk of getting the uneasy questions from students or their parents.
By Luv2Clog
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 03:54 PM
Let me preface this with a big, fat "I'M NO EXPERT."

I have BMI/ASCAP through CLOG, but as I understand it, the fee covers public performances (as in playing the songs during lessons and performances) not copying the music.

I read somewhere on either BMI or ASCAPs' websites that you can copy up to 10% of a recording to give to dance students for practicing purposes, but no more. I don't know about you, but 10% doesn't do anything for me.
By irene40000
On Sun Aug 19, 2007 01:06 PM
i'd say that burning cds for your students is fine. my teacher does it for us all the time. but i personaly would want the music on my i pod so that i could rehearse backstage before performance. just a suggestion.

ReplySendWatch