Forum: General / Ballroom / Waltz

Need help with waltz step names
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 27, 2007 02:31 AM

I recently got a new instructor for waltz but he names steps way different than my previous instructor, does anyone know the relationships for these step names?

New instructor:

Chase, Normal, Double Reverse, Wisp, Prominade, Closed Position

Old instructor:

Basic/Box, Turn Step (Emergency Turn), Balance Hold, Progressions, Turn, Closed Position

The only two that are the same are Closed Position. :/

2 Replies to Need help with waltz step names

re: Need help with waltz step names
By Ballroomboy
On Wed Jun 27, 2007 06:41 AM

Do you mean Chase, or Chasse? A chase is a step that in honesty I've only ever heard of being used in a Tango! If it is a chase your partner is going to step strongly around you on the outside on step 3 and you might go from that into either a lock-step or a chasse, or even pivots!! Thinking about it, perhaps he means an outside spin? The two are very similar! Maybe That's what your old instructor was calling the 'turn'?

If it's a Chasse, it's side, close, side, easy huh?

Normal - I honestly don't know! Perhaps he just means basic close changes (Which is probably your basic box step)? Or a basic group you might know already?

Double Reverse - this is probably referring to a double reverse spin - I don't see anything on your old instructors list that even looks similar! Though for a double reverse spin you will start with a heel turn and step forward out of that on your left foot - possibly finishing with your feet crossed?

Wisp - I'm nearly sure that he is probably saying whisk, and perhaps you have misheard it? If it is a whisk you will finish with one foot crossed behind the other (normally your right behind your left) in promenade position, does that sound familiar?

Promenade position and Close hold - Close hold is how you will be standing normally, you turn to promenade position at certain points in the dance (ie. after the whisk) when you both need to step through the middle with the man's right foot and the ladies left foot. It involves both of you turning your bodies outwards slightly to allow room for this to happen easily!

I hope some of this helped at any rate!

re: Need help with waltz step names
By Live4Dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 27, 2007 09:12 AM
For International Style, your new instructor has the correct denomination.
As of Chassé (I suppose that is what you meant), there is some in Waltz. For example in the very common combination wisk to promenade than chassé ( 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2 and 3)
For the turns you have Natural Turn and Reverse Turn. Maybe you misunderstood 'normal'...
on there is vidéos of the basics steps.


Powered by XP Experience Server.
Copyright ©1999-2021 XP.COM, LLC. All Rights Reserved.