Forum: Highland / Highland - Theory

National Members Exam...Help!
By HighlandCheer
On Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:11 PM

A friend of mine and have both passed our Members Highland Exam, and we are now studying for our Members National Exam in October. Can anyone out there help us???? How does it compare to the Highland exam? Is there anything we should know going in. We have a great teacher, but it is always nice to hear other opinions.

I saw other posts with sample questions for the Highland exam, and I am hoping someone may be able to help us the same way with Nationals!
Any help would be great! Thanks!!!

5 Replies to National Members Exam...Help!

re: National Members Exam...Help!
By DancingThistles
On Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:40 PM
I found that my National Members Exam was much harder than the Highland exam. I think that the key factors that you need to remember are all of the different ways that you can do the Jig and Hornpipe. I would spend alot of time practicing this. Also, I found that counting the Earl in beats and bars was also a little bit harder...specially the double trebles.
By happy_dancing
On Mon Jul 16, 2007 02:41 PM
I am also studying for my national members exam, which will be in November sometime. I am also finding the jig and the hornpipe the hardest. I find that there are varying oppions on the different steps, endings etc. The hardest part for me is remembering all the definitions in the jig and hornpipe!
Sample questions would be great!
By Royalstewarthd
On Fri Aug 10, 2007 07:28 AM
I completed my Members National a couple of years ago and, my biggest advice, be prepared. We focused a lot on Jig & HP. I found the Members National considerably harder than Members Highland. PM me if you want more information.
By batd_teacherPremium member
On Fri Aug 10, 2007 09:43 AM
There is a nice little booklet that can help you study - written by Kirsty Duncan - covers Highland, Nationals, Jig and HP as well as the various methods - BATD, SDTA, UKA.

www.talentedwomen.com . . . Great article on her.

I believe the book as been available for purchase through various Highland Dance suppliers.

I used it for my Members in Highland exam. Very nice book.
By DancingThistles
On Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:25 AM
I recently took my national members' exam. Before hand, I focused a ton on the Jig and Hornpipe. Remember to practice all of the dances in beats and bars. I think that alot of time when we teach, we count to 8, and most of the dances that you will have in the nationals exam are all 2 beats to the bar, with a few exceptions.

ReplySendWatch