Priority Teaching Jobs

Forum: Highland / Highland - Costumes

Highland - Costumes
New Unique Highland Dance Patterns!!!! en>fr fr>en
By booverly Comments: 1967, member since Fri Jul 02, 2004
On Mon Jul 09, 2007 01:22 PM

Just heard that Unique has reissued their Highland Dance patterns. I saw them at the Canadians.

There's a new Lilt dress sized just for adults, the National Dress pattern now comes with a blouse and an optional waistband to make the dress into a skirt too. The aboyne has a scalloped peplum style, and the jacket/vest has new armhole design. There's also a cummerbund and a shamrock too.

heartofthehighlands.ca should have them by now.

15 Replies to New Unique Highland Dance Patterns!!!!

re: New Unique Highland Dance Patterns!!!! en>fr fr>en
By Dancing_24_7Premium member Comments: 1421, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Mon Jul 09, 2007 01:26 PM
Do they meet the costume requirements? I looked on the link...was there a picture? Sounds neat:)
By seiyaferretmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 931, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Mon Jul 09, 2007 03:59 PM
That's actually good news. I used their national dress/blouse pattern & did find it confusing. There was a picture on the front of it for a gatherned neck line for the national blouse but no instructions or pattern for it. I may have to buy one just to see.
On Tue Jul 10, 2007 07:59 AM
The unique patterns are designed according to guidelines.

Apparently, they've redone the pictures to reflect the true patterns. The national dress now has a bodice that can be cut as a blouse instead of a separate blouse pattern. That gathered picture is no longer on the pattern.

I'm just pleased to know that the accessories package now includes a cummerbund and shamrock. Too bad the dickie's not there, but can't have everything (dickie is in with the jacket/vest).

I'm currently making the scalloped peplum style aboyne. The pattern now includes the square petal as well as the rounded one.

And the instructions have pictures!
By herecomestreble Comments: 219, member since Mon Jun 18, 2007
On Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:43 PM
Edited by herecomestreble (181168) on 2007-08-15 00:00:37
Booverly, how did your scalloped style National vest turn out? I would like to make one.

Any tips?
By scottiedog440 Comments: 1877, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Wed Aug 15, 2007 05:38 AM
We have just switched to the petal style vest after 2 years in the scallop style. We have found that most of the girls in our area are now wearing the petal style totally closed in front with no buttons or braid and a tartan matching lacing cord. Our difficulty with the scallop style was that it always seemed to look wrinkled on the side seams at the waist. I reopened those seams several times to reclip and press but they never seemed to lay flat at her waist. I have made several and it seems similar on others. I found it worked best on someone who was shorter in the waist, giving a longer looking waistline. The petal vest seems to fit much beter in the waist and lays nicely over the skirt. Good luck to all with these vests. It seems trends go back and forth between the styles and the finishing of them. Are scallop vests coming back in vogue, we are always doing the wrong thing at the wrong time, so they probably are? Oh well petal vest for us fro the next year or so.
On Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:31 AM
There's no right or wrong way with the highland dance costumes (other than the dress code) and what's in vogue now shouldn't be what drives your decision. Having been involved with ddn and participating in comps that had dancers from around the world I can tell you that what's in vogue where some live, may not be necessarily what's in vogue where I am. I would always decide on what I like best and what would suit my physique and colouring.

My scalloped vest is coming along nicely. It's been laid aside though in favour of a dress I'm making for a wedding. I read with interest some comments about scallops and decided to line the scalloped part with slippery lining fabric to keep it from bunching up at the waist. As I already have an aboyne this one may be further delayed as I need to get cracking on a hornpipe and a jig costume for October.
On Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:33 AM
Edited by herecomestreble (181168) on 2007-08-15 10:34:38
Thanks Booverly and scottiedog440.

scottiedog440-- Which pattern did you use?

I have noticed two styles of scalloped vests. One has the scallops cut out separately and sewn to the bottom. Just like petal vests.

The second includes the scallops as part of the vest piece. I like this as there is no bottom seam, which gives a longer look and a nice flow.
On Wed Aug 15, 2007 02:18 PM
Ours was professionally made and is one piece, no petals. The ones I have made were from the old Heather patterns. I had the hardest time keeping them from bunching at the waist. Off the child they were fine, I clipped the curves very close and pressed well but it always pulled here. This is why I'm switching to the petal vest, it just seems to lay better. I like the idea of a smoother lining to help, good luck Booverly. My daughter's vest has always looked nice from adistance but it is wrinkled at the waist. It is just too small now with a wide opening in front, time for a new one.
re:sewing tip for Unique Highland Dance Patterns!!!! en>fr fr>en
By Beaux727Premium member Comments: 29, member since Sun Oct 22, 2006
On Thu Aug 16, 2007 07:14 AM
I have a tip for using the unique patterns. It takes a little more work but well worth it. I spread the paper sheet out then put a brand new shower linner over the top. I trace the pattern on the shower liner with permanent marker making sure to lable my peices. I cut these out and use them to sew. They are easier to lay out on the fabric and to pin. I take the paper pattern fold it back up and store it. when I am done with the shower liner pattern, I fold it up put it in a ziploc bag so I can use it again. Be sure to lable your ziploc bag also. The up side to this, is it is easier to use this pattern and if you loose a pattern piece, you just unfile the paper one and copy a new piece. (I do this for any pattern I tend to use a lot. my liner patterns are much more durrable
On Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:25 AM
Thank you beaux727. That does sound like a good idea.

I do the same but I use sewers tracing fabric. Its nice because I can lay it on top of my pattern and trace the size I need. It can also be sewn so it works well for sewing a prototype.

The shower curtain would be great when I use a cutting wheel as it would add some weight and stability to the fabric underneath, especially for light fabrics.

Thanks for the tip.
By dancin3 Comments: 480, member since Mon Oct 17, 2005
On Sun Aug 19, 2007 06:03 PM
Has anyone bought or tried the new unique jacket pattern? I am planning on purchasing it when I am in NS in September.
On Mon Aug 20, 2007 07:41 AM
Just had to share this little tip for making the scalloped version of the Unique aboyne pattern:

When making the peplum, cut into the fabric at the dots to come within 1/8" of the dot. Also, I used a pinking rotary cutter to trim around the scallops to within 1/4". Wow! All my scallops turned beautifully and laid completely flat.

And my idea to line the peplum with slippery lining fabric. Works great, however, while sewing it to the velvet, it scooted around something awful (lining and velvet? what was I thinking!) and I'm left with a gap between it and the top of the peplum. :( Not a big deal as I'll extend the vest lining down to cover the gap, but next time I'll just pin the peplum to a big piece of lining and sew first, then cut the lining to peplum shape. :)
On Mon Aug 20, 2007 02:16 PM
I liked your idea of the slippery fabric. Velvet acts like a caterpillar for me. No matter how I pin or baste, things seems to crawl around on it when sewing. The idea of cutting after is great. I'm doing it on the next adventure. Thanks for all your sewing tips. I'm not professional and just learn from experience, and some projects have been an interesting experience over the years. I don't have a rotary cutter, is this an electric cutting device, or just a rolling cutter? I do pink the edges of the velvet petals and scallops with regular pinking shears.
On Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:02 AM
Edited by booverly (98416) on 2007-08-21 11:05:27 links are working now
My mind has been elsewhere today when I tried to reply here in this thread and I ended up posting in the thread about a jig costume.

Here's the link to that thread:
www.dance.net . . .

And here's the actual post:
One thing I love about sewing is that there's always something new to learn. Loved the shower curtain tip!

I consider rotary cutters to be the best thing to hit the sewing world since the sewing machine. Basically, they are circular razor blades mounted on a handle which you can roll over the fabric and it cuts it like a hot knife through butter. I also have a pinking blade which makes pinking so much easier (i've never been able to find a pinking shear that works for me). If you have any trouble with carpel tunnel, arthritis, etc. then a rotary cutter is for you.

To get started you need a few things: 1) a special mat to put underneath to keep your table top from being sliced; 2) a flat ruler for straight edges (omnigrid makes really good ones) 3) pattern weights (pins tend to lift the fabric) 4) a good marking system (because you use weights instead of pins you'll need to mark all the notches, circles, dots, darts, etc. before you remove the pattern piece from the fabric).

A link with lots of helpful tips, pics and links:
quilting.about.com . . .

Where to buy:
www.agreatnotion.com . . .

As you can see, I love my rotary cutter. I still don't like cutting out patterns, but this tool makes it go faster than it used to.
By cghighlandmom Comments: 14, member since Tue Sep 25, 2007
On Sat Oct 06, 2007 09:54 PM
Thanks for your great idea! I am in the process of sewing my first vest. I have gotten as far as cutting the velvet with the shower curtain pattern and was very pleased with the results! I was working with a very small piece of velvet, and a large pattern. The pieces didn't fit it at first but the plastic allowed me to manipulate and pin the pattern pieces 20 different ways without the pieces showing any signs of abuse. Appreciate the tip!

ReplySendWatch