Popular Teachers

Struggling to make a living doing what i love. by livelovedance08
I am just wondering if I should be struggling this much to make a living doing something I love. I...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Ballet - General
An ultimate ballet bun thread! (links w/pics included) (karma: 11)  en>fr fr>en
By NewFoundGracemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1274, member since Sun Sep 04, 2005
On Wed Jul 11, 2007 03:20 PM
Edited by NewFoundGrace (140345) on 2007-07-11 15:23:04 oops! forgot something!
Edited by NewFoundGrace (140345) on 2007-07-11 16:14:42 arg! stupid links
Made sticky by Lirit (28370) on 2007-08-01 18:40:14
Made unsticky by Odessa (22571) on 2008-08-02 19:06:26

Let's face it- we all want to know how to make one of those beautiful ballet buns that stay in throughout the entire class. Obviously, since there are different types of hair, there are different ways of making a nice ballet bun. Here's a bunch of techniques that are often used (add yours if it's different):

Technique 1; the Twisted Ponytail Technique

1. Brush hair to make it smooth, and put it up into a ponytail (at any height, but I prefer a fairly medium-high ponytail) with an elastic. Braid tightly if you wish. It's very important that the ponytail/braid is secure, neat and tight (though not so tight that it gives you a major headache).
2. Twist the ponytail tightly, and coil it around the elastic, securing with U-shaped pins as you go. I prefer using many of these pins to ensure that the bun stays very secure.
3. Once the ponytail is completely coiled around itself (with the end tucked under the rest of the bun) and has been adequately secured with pins, wrap a hairnet (or two, depending on how thick the hairnets are) over it. Secure with some more U-shaped pins.
4. One word: HAIRSPRAY! Personally, I don't find hairspray necessary for everyday classes. I only use it for performances.

Didn't quite get everything? Don't worry, it's also described (with pictures) at: www.oregonballetacademy.com . . .
and
bongbaby86.tripod.com . . .
www.bayviewballet.com . . . (no pics though)

I use this technique often, and it works very well for me (just if anyone's curious: I have straight, very long hair). It stays in for the entire class easily, and looks nice.

Variant of the twisted ponytail technique; the NON-twisted ponytail
Follow the same procedure as the twisted ponytail technique, except don't twist the ponytail as you coil it.

Some DDNers describe it here:
www.dance.net . . .

Personally, I've tried this several times and it never works for me. Though it looks better than the twisted version, it never ever ever stays in for me, and falls out during just 1 class. But clearly it works for some DDNers!

Technique 2: The Chopstick/Pencil/Etc Method
This seems to work well for dancers with long hair. It's simple, but personally my teacher doesn't allow us to use this method, as the chopsticks/pencils/etc can fly out and decapitate people (though if you do it correctly, it should be secure enough to stay in. My problem was always that whenever it was secure enough to stay in, it would sometimes be so tight that it would give me a headache).

1. (optional) Put your hair into a ponytail, and braid if you wish.
2. Coil the braid/ponytail around itself, twisting as you go if desired.
3. Insert chopsticks. This is hard for me to explain (if you can do it better, please feel free), and it's a technique that you just have to practice. You sort of weave the chopstick/pencil/etc (you can have two, or just one if it's secure enough) through the bun in order to have it secure the hair in the bun to the hair on your head that's not part of the ponytail/braid (if that makes sense).

Technique 3: the clip technique. Note- NOT for performances
This rather informal technique can be used for classes, but not perfoamances.
1. Go about it the same way you'd go about the twisted or non-twisted ponytail technique (whichever you prefer, I'd always use the non-twisted in this case), and instead of using hairnets and U-shaped pins, use hairclips (big or small) to secure the edges of the bun.
Here are pictures:
www.cecilysdancetech.com . . .

This method is quick and easy, and good for classes once you get the hang of making the bun secure enough.

Technique 4: The pretty-but-more-detailed rolling technique

Just read these. I'm feeling lazy.

www.dance.net . . .
www.danceclasses.co.nz . . .
homepages.ihug.co.nz . . .

I've never tried this, but I will tomorrow!

The section coil technique
1. Yup, you guessed it, make a ponytail.
2. Divide ponytail into sections. How many sections is personal preference. You can have 3, you can have 16 (I always used to have a ton when I used this method). If you have a bunch of sections, it might be helpfull to clip ones off that you aren't using to keep them separate and out of the way. You can also try braiding each section if you'd like, but I don't know how well that would work/how good it would look.
3. Do the same as in the twisted (maybe you could try the non-twisted if you so desire, I've never tried that) ponytauk technique, but one section at a time, securing with U-shaped pins as you go.
4. Wrap a hairnet around to take care of all the little wispies, or add hairclips (if just for class) for extra security.
5. Hairspray if you want to/if you're performing.

A DDNer who uses this method describes how she does it:
www.dance.net . . .

I haven't done this technique in awhile, but I liked it a lot last year when my hair was past waist-length. My hair always HAD to be wet when I made these buns, but I think if I'd used hairnets, the wet hair wouldn't have been necessary.

Have any more pics, techniques or comments? Please share!

-N'FoGrizzle
(yeah, you heard me)

71 Replies to An ultimate ballet bun thread! (links w/pics included)

re: An ultimate ballet bun thread! (links w/pics included) en>fr fr>en
By iluvballet4 Comments: 85, member since Tue Nov 14, 2006
On Wed Jul 11, 2007 05:16 PM
Thanks, that was really helpful! I tested them all out and i'm going for the informal clip one :)
By Lima22member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 174, member since Sat Sep 30, 2006
On Wed Jul 11, 2007 05:55 PM
Ooh, very nice. I see karma coming your way!

I use a different method just for class, though. I put my hair into a "messy bun" thing and then just put a bun cover over that and secure with a nineties-style scrunchie (if you can find them anymore).

My teacher always compliments me on how nice my hair looks, and it's really fast to do after school.
By NewFoundGracemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1274, member since Sun Sep 04, 2005
On Wed Jul 11, 2007 06:05 PM
^Ooh, I didn't think of that! Thanks for contributing!
By balletbabe4eva Comments: 1169, member since Fri May 11, 2007
On Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:24 PM
cool thats really helpful i vote for sticky
By twinkledancer08member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 458, member since Sat Sep 10, 2005
On Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:34 PM
wow that's really great! I think this should be a sticky. Lots of girls have been asking about buns lately! Great job!
By ballet_toes_247 Comments: 103, member since Fri Mar 23, 2007
On Wed Jul 11, 2007 07:35 PM
Really helpful! I see a karma coming your way! :)

-ballet_toes_247
By cybdansermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 638, member since Thu Dec 08, 2005
On Wed Jul 11, 2007 08:28 PM
Thanks!

I use technique 1, but I don't tightly twist my hair. This way, my bun is flatter.
re: An ultimate ballet bun thread! (links w/pics included) (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By funsizeddancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1432, member since Fri Feb 24, 2006
On Wed Jul 11, 2007 09:24 PM
hey what about the rolled up sock bun-form technique!?

I'll explain-- Put your hair in a pony tail, cut off the top of an old sock (preferably a longer one or if you have really really long hair like me, the bottom half of an old t-shirt which you will have to winde like a hair-binder) and roll it up, put it on the pony and move it to the base. tip your head forward and let the hair fall around the form until it looks like a perfect little donut, secure with a hair binder or maybe two, take the hair from around the edges, clump, twist and winde. secure with hair and bobby pins and hair spray. Oh and if you don't want to use a sock or can't or whatever, they have bun forms premade at all of my local dance stores (obviously i don't know about yours lol).
On Thu Jul 12, 2007 05:01 AM
^I've never even heard of that method before, it sounds cool! I have to try it sometime.
On Thu Jul 12, 2007 02:15 PM
I just tried the section coil technique today (without twisting the sections), and it's officially my favorite. It looked nice and stayed in really nicely.
On Fri Jul 13, 2007 02:09 PM
For a performance today I tried the non-twisted ponytail technique, and it lookes great and stayed in really well. However, if I hadn't gotten help, it wouldn't have turned out as well ( ;
By hannahhuxleymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 452, member since Mon Jun 04, 2007
On Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:08 AM
wow thats excellent! thankyou :D x
On Sat Aug 04, 2007 05:26 PM
For classes, I've come to love the braided version of the twisted ponytail technique. It's neat, it's pretty, it stays in well, and it's quick and easy.

Sometimes it's a bit tricky to make the bun so it stays fairly flat against your head (which looks best, at least if you have long hair like I do), but it's really not that difficult.
Detailed Sock Bun Instructions W/ Pics (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 243, member since Thu Jul 28, 2005
On Tue Aug 14, 2007 03:39 PM
Materials
1 Athletic Sock (clean!)
1 Trouser Sock (Ideally beige/brown/black as is closest to your hair color) (Also clean!)
Scissors
3 or more Rubber Bands
Optional: Hairnet
Optional: Gel/Hairspray

Making the Bun Form
Cut the toes off of each sock.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i334/106439.956image1.jpg'

Starting at the toe end, roll the athletic sock around itself to make a donut shape.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i141/106440.171image2.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i802/106448.693image3.jpg'

Now roll the trouser sock around the donut in the same way. Stretch out the loose end of the sock so that it’s sort of smooth.
Halfway rolled…
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i472/106449.624image4.jpg'

The finished donut should look something like this.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i384/106451.279image5.jpg'

Doing Up the Up-Do
Put your hair in a ponytail wherever you want your bun to be centered. If you are using gel, slick it on the hair that is lying against your scalp during this step.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i151/106452.281image6.jpg'

Put the donut around your ponytail.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i996/106453.863image7.jpg'

Bend over and spread your hair out in all directions so that the donut is completely covered. It helps to have a friend to check that you didn’t miss any spots. Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i300/106454.871image8.jpg'

This is probably the hardest part. Use a rubberband to tie the hair underneath the donut.
The three most important elements of this step are keeping the bun form covered on all sides, keeping the hair flat against the bun form, and keeping the bun form flat against your head. Pulling on the ends of your hair to tighten the donut will only make the center of your bun frizzy, so don’t be tempted. For very thick hair, it is often wise to use more than one rubber band on this step. If this band is not tight enough, the bun will work itself away from your head and you will feel it bouncing when you move. For maximum stability, make two loops with your rubber band. Just be careful not to snap it!
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i316/106456.741image9.jpg'

Alternate View:
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i806/106459.489image10.jpg'

Swirl or twist the remaining hair around the bun form. If you wrap it too tight, you could end up getting underneath the bun form, which will cause the bun to stick out from your head awkwardly.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i148/106460.641image11.jpg'

Secure with a rubber band. If you have long, curly, thick, or otherwise independently-minded hair, you will probably wish to use more than one rubber band on this step. If you are using a hair net, put it on now. I highly recommend using a net for a performance, as it is all too easy for a few loose strands to escape. I do not recommend putting more rubber bands on top of a hair net, because when I do that I nearly always end up ripping the net when I take it out.
Image hotlink - 'http://images.dance.net/images/i043/106461.215image12.jpg'

Once you get the hang of this bun, it only takes around two minutes to put up, and it will last for hours, or even days if you use gel and are careful about how you sleep.

Happy Dancing!
By nettelamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 394, member since Sun May 20, 2007
On Wed Aug 15, 2007 06:22 AM
I really like doing the bun without the twist. We call it the KIROV bun. I really like this thread!
By LakiWaki Comments: 23, member since Fri Aug 03, 2007
On Thu Aug 23, 2007 02:08 PM
cool thanks that'll really help!
On Thu Aug 23, 2007 02:15 PM
Here's a great video with detailed instructions on how to make 3 different buns:

www.youtube.com . . .
By BallerineGlaceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 243, member since Thu Jul 28, 2005
On Thu Aug 23, 2007 07:14 PM
I should add that you can make shorter hair into a donut bun if you can make a smaller bun form- I had a friend whose hair was about chin length, and she made a donut bun with a bun form about the size of a lifesaver candy.
By Chochoc Comments: 9, member since Wed Jul 18, 2007
On Tue Aug 28, 2007 08:48 AM
Thanks, really helpful! I tend to use the first kind of bun, it's easier for me. :)
By dancerdancer22member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 474, member since Sat Oct 28, 2006
On Tue Aug 28, 2007 08:53 AM
I always use the first one but BallerineGlacee had a very interesting way of doing it. I might try it that way.
By sirona Comments: 131, member since Sun Dec 08, 2002
On Fri Aug 31, 2007 09:10 PM
I love the donut bun, it works with my fine hair even when it's short. I just use a scrunchie :) Also, a good tip, if you put on a hairnet and then pin it (after you wrap the ends around if you have any) it'll be the most secure bun ever! :)

Comment #6395534 deleted

By LakiWaki Comments: 23, member since Fri Aug 03, 2007
On Fri Sep 07, 2007 07:13 PM
Wow, thanks a lot, I really needed help in this area since my hair is really short!!!
By odile53 Comments: 1913, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Tue Sep 18, 2007 07:17 AM
Has anyone found any useful hints for dealing with bangs?

My hair is extremely thick, straight, shoulder-length and has bangs. I have no problem with the bun part, it's waiting till the bangs grow out.
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch