Poll: Adults / Theatre Production

What is your preferred production team role?
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:49 PM

I've worked in most of these positions before. I most enjoyed working as a Director in straight plays and as Choreographer in musicals.

What have you done and what do you prefer doing?

Helen

15 Replies to What is your preferred production team role?

re: What is your preferred production team role?
By Lavendarmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1851, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Tue Jul 24, 2007 04:31 PM
I am not at all qualified to do...any of those things really, haha. I've been an assistant for many of them though and my favorite was Lighting Design. I don't know why I took such pleasure in dragging myself up and down a ladder hundreds of times with huge lights that weigh as much as I do...but I did, haha. It was fun :)

I'm taking a stage management class next semester and my professors have already suggested they may ask me to stage manage sometime as we currently only have one extremely overworked student in that position, haha. I think it will be fun, a ton of work and very challenging, but fun, heh.

I really like being involved in everything possible though and usually have fun no matter what it is :P
By sweetyface17 Comments: 650, member since Mon Nov 08, 2004
On Sun Sep 30, 2007 07:59 PM
I'm a control freak, so... STAGE MANAGEMENT!!!! woot!
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4789, member since Sat May 18, 2002
On Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:27 PM
I've been coming back to this poll for months now trying to figure out if I prefer lighting design and operation or stage management. I love both. I go absolutely nuts as an SM, but seriously, I miss it like crazy. I was a good one. And lighting is just so much fun, and I feel so good after I spend hours hanging and focusing lights.

It's a tie, and I can't vote for both. *cries*
By kerplooey_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1133, member since Tue Dec 27, 2005
On Thu Nov 01, 2007 05:28 PM
i voted choreographer, but i'd love to do costume/hair/makeup design also. maybe even set design. quite frankly, if i'm helping anywhere, i'm happy. light boards are fun too....

-kerplooey
By Ly411member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 251, member since Wed Dec 31, 2003
On Fri Nov 02, 2007 06:52 PM
costume and makeup design and crew are the only of these i've been a part of. mostly. i did props and wasn't a big fan. or of publicity. i'd love to do choreography, but have never been in the position to be able to do it. i'm costume design/production/coordination/dresser and makeup design/application/etc for a show coming up in a couple of weeks. it's crazy. there are only 4 people on the production team, because it's a campus production. but it's great
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Fri Nov 02, 2007 07:53 PM
I mostly do music now including some Broadway-type productions and an annual Nutcracker. I am in the pits for those things.

In high school, I was really into backstage operations all three years plus some summer productions. Everyone on the stage crew could ultimately do every job and we had an extraordinarily well equipped stage for the era. So I did full sound and lighting systems, light design, recording (most members of the stage crew were also on the staff of a radio program from our high school broadcast from a local radio station.) We built all the sets, designed the set changes and did major prop acquisition. Many of us also acted as well. I had mostly a string of small parts, sometimes several in the same show (I remember having three roles in "Annie Get Your Gun." I still remember all my lines...all six of them!) I was also stage manager in my senior year. The first production I was involved with...solely on stage crew as a sophomore, was "HMS Pinafore." Our production weekend turned out to be in a major Asian flu epidemic and cast members were dropping like flys. We were using understudies to understudies, some of the faculty directors actually got in costume and went on stage and since those of us on the stage crew knew all the choral numbers by heart after several weeks of hearing rehearsals, those of us not felled by the flu donned costumes and filled in the chorus numbers since the chorus was depleted by folks who were understudies. Fortunately we did not lose any of our "real" principals in the main leads so no one had to learn too many lines. The real principals all got sick the following week. In my senior year, I rejoined the orchestra and played violin in the pit for a sappy operetta called "Sweethearts." Utterly dreadful, but in those day (late 1950's) none of the really good musicals of the post WW II era had been released for amateur or scholastic production. They wouldn't release the rights until a movie had been made. So we could do none of the great Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals of the era as most were still on the professional stage or were awaiting movie production. "Annie Get Your Gun", originally staged in 1945 had a movie in the 1950's and by 1959 we were able to get rights for it, the first truly modern musical we did.
My stagecraft ended with high school except for two summer variety shows just after high school and the summer following.
In college, I had a major role in "Anastastia"...I was some Russian Prince supposedly in love with Anastastia. That was my last speaking role ever. I was in one other production in my senior year of college as an on-stage violinist as part of a string quartet in an old Helen Hayes vehicle called "Time Remembered" by Jean Anouilh [the original was called "Leocadia" in its original French]. I had a fantastical gypsy costume with a big fake moustache and my hair died coal black (its usually mouse brown.) I have not been on stage since except as an orchestra musician.

Jon
By Lima22member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 174, member since Sat Sep 30, 2006
On Thu Nov 22, 2007 01:32 PM
Edited by Lima22 (167699) on 2007-11-22 13:33:35
Lighting Design... *drools* I love messing around with intels.

Although, ASM-ing/Anchoring has always seemed to be very nifty as well. It's good for me because I get to be a boss, but I'm not *the* boss.

Does that make any sense? Perhaps I should stick to hanging lights.
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Sun Dec 16, 2007 06:15 PM
I love doing choreography!!

I also like doing PR work.
By IsabeleB Comments: 39, member since Mon Nov 10, 2008
On Wed Dec 17, 2008 08:31 AM
I'm typically the costumer/make up artist/designer because I'm the ONLY ONE WHO DOES THAT AT OUR SCHOOL! I'm designing the makeup for a show right now and I think one of the actors might mysteriously go missing as he doesn't think he needs to wear makeup on stage.
By two_sixteen Comments: 53, member since Thu Jan 01, 2009
On Sun Jan 04, 2009 08:44 PM
Edited by two_sixteen (205776) on 2009-01-04 20:45:02
I've seriously done (and loved) every single one of these things. My favorite has got to be stage manager, though. I love the chaos of trying to organize people backstage during a production, and it's fun to yell. =]
By Dancer24601member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 184, member since Mon Jan 12, 2009
On Sun Mar 08, 2009 02:23 PM
I love costume design! It's loads of stress and fun! Props is equally fun for me, but I always go back to the costumes some how. Being a dresser for shows is also amazing, specially when it is a fast quick change.... awe, the thrill of theatre.
By Chepyl Comments: 2346, member since Mon May 03, 2004
On Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:41 AM
I have done music directing, directing, choreography, props, set design, sound and light design and operation, and box office.

My least favorite was box office manager; I love to direct and choreograph!
By issatimus Comments: 6, member since Sun May 29, 2011
On Tue Sep 13, 2011 05:40 PM
I prefer Directing to almost anything & I prefer directing plays to musicals- though, I prefer acting in musicals to plays :)
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:00 PM
I haven't done the above things since high school and college and then only in little school and summer camp productions where I did it all. You forgot to mention playwright, composter and librettist, by the way. It was a blast but not practical in terms of trying to ultimately earn a living while following an engineer husband from job to job. But I did help my daughter and her dance friends to choreograph some stuff when they were young -- not sure that counts.

Anyway, I chose "director" because I was surprisingly successful at that.
By ballet_snoopy Comments: 560, member since Fri Oct 21, 2005
On Sat Sep 17, 2011 05:48 AM
I've done quite a bit of stuff with sound - more pre-production, but most of what I've done remained largely unchanged (aside from actually syncing it with the lighting) for the production. I particularly enjoy cutting music - I found working with sound software a lot of fun and it felt like acting DJ getting to put in special sound effects at the right moments and combining songs together!! I've had my hand in stage management (my husband was the actual stage manager for one performance I was involved with) and it was always fun helping create and set up sets and props on stage too. I've also done choreography (as a dance teacher) and some costume design and directing. I would love to try my hand at lighting design, hubby got to have a go at that too and loved it.

ReplySendWatch